cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text messages being censored?

jkolbert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I hope everyone is able to stay safe during these uncertain times and staying in touch with one another and those that are vulnerable and may need help.

I am experiencing an issue when I try to send an invitation to the Signal App (secure, encrypted texting/calling app) via SMS.

The text I am trying to send (which is auto-filled by the app when you opt to invite non-users) is : "Let's switch to Signal https://signal.org/install".

I have done some testing and the text fails to send if it has that link in it. Why are my texts seemingly being censored when I simply want to invite my contact to a secure platform where ironically, this type of censoring/filtering would not be occuring because my messages would be encrypted end-to-end.

Cheers.

7 REPLIES 7

Signal uses SMS/MMS for unencrypted messages.

Signal uses data for encrypted messages.

The first time Signal is used with a contact, and whenever the default Signal invite is sent, Signal actually sends a hidden test-packet to probe whether the other end has Signal (if it does then the recipient can choose to allow response then the two Signal apps can establish a shared private crypto token for future sessions).

Disable the automatic invitation in settings. You can send invites anytime through Signal emote/input/keyboard interface, after Signal has properly established the other end is not running Signal (because no responses to test packets).

You can click-hold the "Send" button. A small popmenu will let you choose standard or encrypted message, choose the standard (SMS/MMS) if you want to send plaintext invitation links.

And, of course, you need data - wired or cellular or WiFi - for Signal to work as more than an ordinary SMS/MMS app.

Nothing is being censored. It's just not being properly sent.

@jkolbert wrote:

Thanks for the help, Shawn. Still a bit troubling that the link seems to be blocked in the first place... is there a way to flag this as surely not everyone who tried inviting would know this workaround.

@jkolbert you could send a message to @Alan_K  and have him and his team look into why it didn't send with the https

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jkolbert
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for the help, Shawn. Still a bit troubling that the link seems to be blocked in the first place... is there a way to flag this as surely not everyone who tried inviting would know this workaround.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jkolbert wrote:

Hello all,

I hope everyone is able to stay safe during these uncertain times and staying in touch with one another and those that are vulnerable and may need help.

I am experiencing an issue when I try to send an invitation to the Signal App (secure, encrypted texting/calling app) via SMS.

The text I am trying to send (which is auto-filled by the app when you opt to invite non-users) is : "Let's switch to Signal https://signal.org/install".

I have done some testing and the text fails to send if it has that link in it. Why are my texts seemingly being censored when I simply want to invite my contact to a secure platform where ironically, this type of censoring/filtering would not be occuring because my messages would be encrypted end-to-end.

Cheers.

@jkolbert  drop the https://  just send as signal.org/install and it will work

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I tried to send the link from my work phone (Bell) to my phone (PM) and it wasn't received

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@jkolbert wrote:

Hello all,

Cheers.

With a link included would that make it an MMS and do you have data turned on?  Not sure if just adding a link would make it an MMS or not

Added: Just did a test and a link doesn't make it MMS now I know lol

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Thanks @jkolbert you stay safe too. Have you sent that link before on PM? Or is this the first time trying it? Thanks.

Need Help? Let's chat.