cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text message content retention (R v. Telus)

chrstyles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In 2013, it became clear in Canada that Telus Mobility (the owner and backbone of PM) "routinely" keeps computer database records of all text messages sent and received from/to a Telus subscriber for a minimum of 30 days. This includes all contents in the text message and other particulars such as cellular phone numbers, etc. While Telus is the only provider currently known to do this, other carriers definitely do keep records of text message timestamps, recipients and sender numbers, IP logs and a record of which cell sites your device communicated with (for unspecified periods of time), my question is does Public Mobile fall under this Telus policy of recording not only timestamps and to/from (as seen in usage history) but message content as well, and is this information available via any other way but a wiretap warrant? 

5 REPLIES 5

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

To @Luddite's suggestion: a VPN won't help with actual SMS text messages, since VPN only affects data connections and SMS is not sent over data.  However, VPN mixed with a data-based messenging app like WhatsApp or LINE or a host of others would give the ISP (PM/Telus) an inability to see the message content.  For extra security, make sure you use an ecrypted messaging app with end-to-end encryption.  WhatsApp comes to mind but there are definitely others.

Ultimately if someone wants at your content bad enough (e.g. law enforcement), they are probably going to find a way to do it.  Don't expect complete privacy or anomynity on the Interwebs!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

homer
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You have a solid point, @Luddite, but it's good for @chrstyles to bring this topic up 🙂 Awareness is very important 

Sorry to be negative but really who cares? One must assume info is being tracked and saved; after all Google reads EVERY gmail searching for key words so you can receive targeted ads. Therefore be cautious with providing personal info, or give made up versions.

If you want privacy get some readily available tools; private VPN, anonimizers, encrypted messaging. There really is no shortage of ways to hide; theymean extra effort and usually slow your connection speed. Some examples: https://www.tunnelbear.comhttps://www.anonymizer.comEmail encryptorshttp://www.destructingmessage.com

Who and where is Luddite really???? 👺

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

chrstyles
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It would be great to get to know a bit more about this if possible! 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Wow, good question, @chrstyles.  I think we will need one of the community moderators to hopefully weigh in on this.

@Shazia_K and @Mary_M, could one you comment on this for @chrstyles?  Thank you in advance.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Need Help? Let's chat.