cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text From PM About Changes To Manitoba Prepaid Network

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received the following text now:

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

Before I call this number, has anyone here heard anything related to this or what exactly this is about? What changes are we talking about???

283 REPLIES 283

Anonymous
Not applicable

@computergeek541 : Re: _Daniel_ - Here's your promo churn. 🙂 Wow. 2 months and gone.

@_Daniel_ : there have been sporadic reports of people being charged after they've ported out. But you also won't get any refunds for abandoned Available Funds. Especially if it was made up of credits and rewards. But YMMV.

_Daniel_
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

to my thinking... being ported to Lucky, I suspect 611 isn't going to ring at PM anymore

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

If you have autopay setup, you can call 611 to remove it.

_Daniel_

I have successfully ported to Lucky Mobile.  I can no longer login to PM Self-serve, so I guess that's that; and trust that my next automated billing on Feb 16th will not occur.

There was $20 in "credits" left on my account... and factoring in refer a friend, a recent "top 50% community award", and auto-pay... I might have only been billed another $1 to have another month of PM services (@$25/mo)... But based on how poorly communicated this change was/is (in my opinion), I elected to not send "Telus" (or its affiliates) any more dollars.  It cost me about $20 for a PM sim/plan to have almost 2 months of services (Dec 18 - Feb 12)... so whatever credits are left are irrelevant as I feel I receive $40 worth of services.

It cost $5 for the SIM at Giant Tiger, and later I'll get a $20 billing credit (month 3)... so I guess the credits/savings will come around back to me in the end anyway.

Everyone is going to make their own decision about this... all the best with whatever you decide is best for you.

@PMinfo 

You correctly stated that you migrated to Koodo “Post Paid”, not “Koodo Prepaid”? I could see lots of odd things such as No SIM card replacement being required if they wanted to make that happen on a migration from PM to “Koodo Prepaid”. But I am not sure how they are accomplishing that on Koodo Post Paid. Koodo Prepaid is “run” on the same platform that PM runs on thus the long standing requirement of involving a Moderator to port between the two. It isn’t really a “port”, just an account records change.

AE_Collector

pdunk

@PMinfo 

Thanks for the update - I have reached out to Moderator_Team for assistance with this.

PMinfo

@pdunk 

Looks like I might be one of the first adopters to migrate ahead of any possible service disruptions on PM in MB.  I have several PM accounts but one family member in MB.

To be frank, I don't think PM will know the extent of the service disruptions until the 1900 Telus band is used exclusively Post-March 16.

What I will say, I have successfully migrated to Koodo (post-paid) with a comparable migrate offer (for MB) using the existing PM SIM.  I will not post on the Community board as offers may differ subject to personal account(s) but I will assume the Koodo offer is better than any post-paid Telus migration offer.  If considering, please contact a PM Mod to obtain the promo code/available plan offers for MB migrations to Koodo.  I will leave it up to Mods to post the offer(s) if deemed appropriate.  Migrations can be done with Koodo over the phone - no activation fee (Credit check required) providing all personal details of your device (PM SIM number) / personal address, etc. Koodo call center 1-866-995-6636.  Expect up to an hour to complete the process.  Be prepared for Koodo Activations / front end to not all be aware of the offer(s).  Persistence / agent elevation may be required! (personal experience, speaking 😒)

Keep in mind even if PM switches to VoLTE, your current device may not be VoLTE capable.  Some have asked specifically about Moto G Fast purchased outside Telus/Koodo channels (i.e. Costco).  

I can confirm that this model (IMEI) is indeed VoLTE capable and is working successfully on the Koodo LTE network (using Moto Fast "VoLTE enabled" setting).

@computergeek541 wrote:

@pdunk wrote:

Can someone at PM such as a Moderator please provide a status update on this either way - has TELUS provided additional details or process for PM users ahead of March 16 change?

The recommendation to migrate to more expensive Koodo/TELUS or use 3rd party VoIP apps is not only 'bait and switch' but also a cop-out to your customers.

@will13am I have not yet received a response from CCTS regarding my complaint.

I'm unsure if this is within the CCTS's mandate. Public Mobile is not required to provide anyone with service, other than that which has already been paid for.  After giving proper notice, Public Mobile could simply terminate someone's account, although I agree that would not be advisable for them to do under normal circumstances.

Regardless, the CCTS will respond.  If it is outside their scope, they will say so.  Complaints should explain how the wireless has not been adhered to.  

@pdunk wrote:

Can someone at PM such as a Moderator please provide a status update on this either way - has TELUS provided additional details or process for PM users ahead of March 16 change?

The recommendation to migrate to more expensive Koodo/TELUS or use 3rd party VoIP apps is not only 'bait and switch' but also a cop-out to your customers.

I'm unsure if this is within the CCTS's mandate. Public Mobile is not required to provide anyone with service, other than that which has already been paid for.  After giving proper notice, Public Mobile could simply terminate someone's account, although I agree that would not be advisable for them to do under normal circumstances.

pdunk

@PMinfo wrote:

"Telus is required to notify customers of the upcoming changes and they have to be conservative with the language.  That does not mean the complete catastrophe" 

I've never known incumbents to acknowledge system issues when they exist.  Usually it takes subscribers making numerous complaints to CCTS for issue resolve.

BTW, there is usually a fine line between "deceptive" and "conservative" language.  So far, Telus "conservative" stance has been to conceal and publish no "visible" position on the change.

So far, all PM clients in MB (Winnipeg) have received is a text to call regarding "possible changes required to your account"

If anyone feels that the wireless code is violated in any way, it can be reported to the CCTS.  From my perspective, a better technical explanation could have been provided in a well constructed FAQ.  It is also not the nicest thing to use the opportunity to upsell customers, particularly when the VoLTE rollout in upper tier brands has not been 100% stellar.  

PMinfo

"Telus is required to notify customers of the upcoming changes and they have to be conservative with the language.  That does not mean the complete catastrophe" 

I've never known incumbents to acknowledge system issues when they exist.  Usually it takes subscribers making numerous complaints to CCTS for issue resolve.

BTW, there is usually a fine line between "deceptive" and "conservative" language.  So far, Telus "conservative" stance has been to conceal and publish no "visible" position on the change.

So far, all PM clients in MB (Winnipeg) have received is a text to call regarding "possible changes required to your account"

@sheytoon wrote:

FWIW, I think most people won't be impacted with this change, but there are going to be some scenarios with people who have a signal and can't make a voice call. These people will be in low band LTE coverage, hence the signal and ability to text and use data... but outside of 3G 1900 coverage, so no voice!

Can't wait for those types of posts in a few weeks. I wonder how the mods will be handling that. Don't think customers will appreciate being told to go to Koodo for a special deal 😉

I am pretty confident in the end, it will be much ado about nothing.  Before Bell took over MTS and changed the carrier landscape in MB, Telus ran their service on a Freedom Mobile like tower network in Winnipeg.  For the most part, there was service everywhere.  There were some challenges with indoor reception here and there.  The current Telus tower network is much better today even without 850 Mhz.  Telus is required to notify customers of the upcoming changes and they have to be conservative with the language.  That does not mean the complete catastrophe will be unfolding soon.  The one thing is very disappointing is the VoLTE rollout.  It should be available to all customers by now.   

@Peggie99 no SIM modifications or exchanges will be required to enable VoLTE. It's all done remotely.

@Peggie99 wrote:

I certainly don't expect the option for VoLTE to appear/show on my phone; my comments were simply that in addition to whatever network changes they'd be forced to make - SIM cards would also need to be modified or replaced. 

I am not sure why SIM card replacement is needed.  

Peggie99

I certainly don't expect the option for VoLTE to appear/show on my phone; my comments were simply that in addition to whatever network changes they'd be forced to make - SIM cards would also need to be modified or replaced. 

Typically Telus would share Bell's licenses as they share the Radio Access Network. But in Winnipeg and Brandon, Bell is sharing with Rogers, so Telus doesn't have access to it any more.

Rural MB is still shared with Bell/Rogers.

The only other market affected is Thunder Bay and north western Ontario, where Rogers and Tbaytel have all the 850 licenses.

dude65

@sheytoon ... So they dont have licence in only manitoba? Are they not able to get it for MB? Will they stop using the 850mhz in other provinces at a later time? If they were piggybacking off of other providers, is a cost issue or a different issue?

I just sense that if these changes affects people, they will leave PM.

PMinfo

@sheytoon 

I've already inquired at Lucky.  I would suggest others in similar situation to do the same to put pressure (demand) for Lucky Marketing to act. 

As of today no targeted promos, but I certainly have let them know of the impending exodus from PM.  

Users are going to go somewhere (balls in the air now for Rogers, Bell, Telus, Shaw & affiliates)

I sense Telus is going to lose unless some serious customer retention reach out is made in the next 30 days.  So far, Telus response has been indifferent at best.

As of today, Koodo & PM prepaid still have no disclaimers (website) of possible calling service disruptions in MB.  Totally unfair to new subscribers in MB.  Don't think CCTS is going to like this.  Telus better be careful on how they are handling this.  

Let's see if Bell is smart enough to offer a targeted promo for PM users to migrate to Lucky.

PMinfo

@sheytoon 

"FWIW, I think most people won't be impacted with this change".

Don't think any of us can say.  Can only go by Telus / PM announcement that they anticipate a problem(s).  Personally, I won't have my family member in MB on PM come March 16.

By the time the problem is real, there will be a mad scramble of PM subscribers trying to port numbers leading to another migrating disaster for hundreds / thousands of MB PM users.

PMinfo

@gpixel- Yes, seriously considering "Lucky" as my calls to Telus / Koodo just get knocked off to obtain possible migration / offer promos.  There isn't really a Telus strategy for PM customer retention in MB as this messaging roll-out is a fiasco.

You shouldn't have to fight to give a carrier your money / business.  When this happens to me with providers, I will generally walk... 

I think Lucky is going to be the best option for most. 

@sheytoon 

If its a temporary measure until they set up VoLTE then they should partner with fongo or other apps and offer an extra 500mb of data = 1000 minutes per month til they figure it out.

FWIW, I think most people won't be impacted with this change, but there are going to be some scenarios with people who have a signal and can't make a voice call. These people will be in low band LTE coverage, hence the signal and ability to text and use data... but outside of 3G 1900 coverage, so no voice!

Can't wait for those types of posts in a few weeks. I wonder how the mods will be handling that. Don't think customers will appreciate being told to go to Koodo for a special deal 😉

@PMinfo $200 to stay with pm until they come up with a solution isn't a bad investment. if the rewards aren't that important than lucky would be the best alternative I guess.

Asher2

The reason the VoLTE option does not appear on your phone is because Public Mobile hasn’t enabled it/ have it.

Why would you expect the option for it to be there if Public Mobile doesn’t have it?

You wouldn’t need to switch SIMs once they enable it, everything needed is already there, just not enabled by Public Mobile. 

If Public does enable it as a solution to problems in Manitoba areas, it should be there. However Public Mobile has not yet.

PMinfo

@gpixel 

Yes, thanks... I am aware of boosters but it would seem to defeat the purpose of a low cost carrier plan.

The point of PM for most is the monthly low cost options.  Moving to Telus/Koodo postpaid for potentially higher cost plans for VoLTE and then recognizing a possible signal strength issue requiring a $200 booster would seem to make switching to the "parents" cost prohibitive.

Given the number of (Telus) towers in Winnipeg, I'm surprised to read of signal weakness.  Maybe VoLTE isn't the holy grail Telus is making it out to be.

Peggie99

While my phone is VoLTE compatible, the option to enable or disable VoLTS is hidden while using a Public Mobile sim card. It's not on a similar work cel I have, with Bell MTS. 

If by "a difficult transition" - they mean being forced to replace Public Mobile sim cards... maybe they should have planned accordingly in advance. 

BTW, Simply Connect - a discount carrier owned by Rogers - offers a few plans similar to the "higher end" plans at Public, and offers a slight discount you bring your own phone.

https://www.simplyconnect.ca/promotion_offer/byop-offer-2020

I've been told that particular promo expires at the end of February 2021. 

@dude65 Telus can't deploy 850 because they don't own licenses for that spectrum in Manitoba.

@PMinfo They won't be using Bell/Rogers 1900 in Winnipeg and Brandon. They'll have to use their own spectrum, of which they have licenses for 20 MHz of 1900. VoLTE would help on an LTE low-band like B12 (700 MHz). Telus has 10 MHz of it in Manitoba.

you can try a cellphone booster that supports band 2. there is one on Amazon for $200

Need Help? Let's chat.