cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text From PM About Changes To Manitoba Prepaid Network

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received the following text now:

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

Before I call this number, has anyone here heard anything related to this or what exactly this is about? What changes are we talking about???

283 REPLIES 283

Barwolfe
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I got the same text, it is from Telus and they migrate you to there Koodo brand which is still Telus, I had the 15 dollar plan unlimited text ; 100 Canada minutes, with the change to them still pay 15 dollars but get unlimited calls and texts and 250 mb of data, Only thing that sucked was I lost all my Christmas bonus data and minutes: soon in Winnioeg there will be no more coverage with public mobile.

brad_br
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Regarding those who are thinking of biting the bullet and changing to Koodo, you may wish to read about my experience of changing over to Koodo at https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Winnipeg-Branon-Region-Service-Mar... - thread Re: Winnipeg, Branon Region Service March 16. Watch out for the need to upgrade your phone and that you may be hit with a connection fee.

@bluejaywpg 

Yep thats what I meant....

bluejaywpg

@cavemantoronto obviously true, & I don't think anybody claimed the service would improve on March 16. But we're talking specifically about voice service coverage so if there is no noticeable difference to the end user, it may be good enough for them. 

Of course it's not quite that simple. One may not know when they are in a dead zone when someone is trying to call them.

@bluejaywpg wrote:

And I just tested from home with my wife (not far from the St. Vital bridge) & it works fine. So I'm happy to say that I won't need to be switching providers.

If I find any suspected dead zones in Winnipeg (or Brandon if or when we might venture there), I'll report it here. But I make very few voice calls in a month so I'm just glad it works from home & for my dad.

It works but it won't be as good as before. Taking aay some of the 3g network can't make voice service better.  Check for signal underground and indoors in large buildings.

bluejaywpg

And I just tested from home with my wife (not far from the St. Vital bridge) & it works fine. So I'm happy to say that I won't need to be switching providers.

If I find any suspected dead zones in Winnipeg (or Brandon if or when we might venture there), I'll report it here. But I make very few voice calls in a month so I'm just glad it works from home & for my dad.

@Ter-Col 

Apply for the good for seniors program. It takes about 3 to 4 weeks to qualify after submitting proof of income. Once you qualify you then can get $10 per month internet and $25 per month post paid mobility service of unlimited texts/calling and some data. You also get a low cost refurbished cell phone.

@softech wrote:

@Ter-Col wrote:

Received text message this morning about UPGRADE. Phone no longer connects. And  as a  senior who only needs something to make phone calls when I am out its not a big deal I can cancel my plan and go back to rogers. However I have a number of friends who use their flip phones as there only phones and they no longer work. These people don't have the money to money or need to buy new smart phones just to make phone calls. A bit of warning would have been nice. Thank you TELUS. CRTC should never have allowed the buyout.

@Ter-Col , I don't think they need to buy new phone.  If their phones are working with PM now, they can join Koodo/Telus and pick the low end plan with voice only.

That isn't necessarily the case, especially since this customer is currently unable to make or receive phone calls. The device would have to be VoLTE capale with the Telus network.

@Ter-Col wrote:

Received text message this morning about UPGRADE. Phone no longer connects. And  as a  senior who only needs something to make phone calls when I am out its not a big deal I can cancel my plan and go back to rogers. However I have a number of friends who use their flip phones as there only phones and they no longer work. These people don't have the money to money or need to buy new smart phones just to make phone calls. A bit of warning would have been nice. Thank you TELUS. CRTC should never have allowed the buyout.

Not that there have been many reports since the change but I think you are the only one saying service has been lost... and all three of you? Are you all in the same building?

I think everyone received text messages of these upcoming changes around February 2, the date this topic was started.

AE_Collector

@Ter-Col wrote:

@Ter-Col , I don't think they need to buy new phone.  If their phones are working with PM now, they can join Koodo/Telus and pick the low end plan with voice only.

Ter-Col
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@bluejaywpg wrote:

Not only did it work fine, we were both blown away by the sound quality. My dad commented that I sounded like I was standing right next to him in his living room. He sounded the same way to me.

Heh, what you experienced was "HD-Voice" or specifically, the AMR-WB codec (Adaptive Multirate Wideband) which operates at 16Khz sample rate instead of 8khz. You should get that when calling directly between any Telus, Koodo, and Public Mobile subscriber. I've experienced it on calls to some Bell customers too, YMMV. It is a feature of 3G/HSPA, and doesn't require VoLTE, though VoLTE has additional codecs available too...

Calls between any other carrier or landlines have to downgrade to 8Khz AMR-NB (Advanced Multirate narrowband") for compatibility with the lowest common denominator between networks... Over time we may see interoperability of wideband/hd-voice between carriers and even some VoIP providers, but it's taken over a decade so far....  Works from bell to bell (and virgin/lucky), rogers to rogers (and fido, chatr), etc.

bluejaywpg

I just did a test by calling my dad a few minutes ago. He joined PM earlier this year. Not only did it work fine, we were both blown away by the sound quality. My dad commented that I sounded like I was standing right next to him in his living room. He sounded the same way to me. We were located in River Heights & near Osborne Village. Once I get home, I'll test with my wife, who is also with PM. That will be the real test.

I also got that text message today that implies the changes have been made:

"Public Mobile here. On March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Winnipeg & Brandon changed and you may have noticed a difference in your calling coverage. To maintain the best coverage, please call 1-866-975-3058 to understand your options. Free Public Mobile Msg"

Changes are done overnight during the maintenance window to minimize customer impact.

I believe Brandon was done last week, Winnipeg was done Sunday night or last night.

Dtack

Interesting you got that text - I just received one that said "Public Mobile here.  On March 16, 2021 our Prepaid network in Winnipeg and Brandon changed and you may have noticed a difference in your calling coverage. To maintain the best coverage please call - 1 - 866 - xxx -xxxx to understand your options.  My calls have been working the same as yesterday and I haven't noticed anything different (South Winnipeg).

Gene2u

I think I’m okay here at my house in Brandon.  Someone linked a map with all the towers on it, and there’s a Telus tower pretty close by with the one frequency that isn’t as good for indoors, but that was the tower that my phone would use from my house, as tested from my android phone before the changeover.  

I can’t recall all the technical details, I could look them up if necessary 

Bilnok

I received a text message from PM today saying that the technical changes are effective starting today, and I notice that the signal is a little bit weaker, I changed my settings from (2G/3G/4G Auto) to (2G/3G Auto) and I realize that it's better. 

Location NE Winnipeg.

... To be continued 🙄

Dtack

Update regarding phone calls (voice services) - so far so good in Winnipeg.  I have made local and long distance calls this morning and everything is working the same as usual.  I'm not sure what time any tower "event"  (a portion of the HSPA network shutting down) is to occur today but am happy I had not made any changes to my plan.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

The FAQ for Manitoba says prepaid plans will only be getting VoLTE someday.

"What FAQ?" I'm thinking to myself.. Ah you must mean this one under "Network changes in Winnipeg and Brandon on March 16, 2021": https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

Wow, that writeup is actually informative and what PM should have sent in the first place, moreso than the initial update to the PM community from Catherine. The initial text message felt full of FUD. (fear, uncertianty, doubt)

Hmm...."FUD"  Lol...good one!

@Luddite wrote:

"What FAQ?" I'm thinking to myself.. Ah you must mean this one under "Network changes in Winnipeg and Brandon on March 16, 2021": https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/volte

Wow, that writeup is actually informative and what PM should have sent in the first place, moreso than the initial update to the PM community from Catherine. The initial text message felt full of FUD. (fear, uncertianty, doubt)

@bluejaywpg 

So far this is adding up to much ado about nothing.....

bluejaywpg

@Bilnok no I haven't. I have full bars right now, even though I'm currently in the basement of a building near Osborne St. 

bluejaywpg

@softech for sure I'll post about it 1 way or the other. 

@pdunk wrote:

@PMinfo 

I bit the bullet and migrated both my PM lines to Koodo today. I went to Polo Park corporate and they tested both my devices with a Koodo SIM, neither displayed VoLTE when Koodo SIM was inserted. Long story short, I purchased the Moto G Fast for one line and kept my existing Moto G Power for the other (knowing it will not have any better reception on PM vs Koodo). Because the Koodo migration plans, particularly the migration plans for the $15 plan, was the unbeatable winner against all other comparable providers (vs Chatr, Lucky, PC, Zoomer), I went with the Koodo $15 migration plan. It's a trade of for reception on my Moto G Power, but I make it up for a much better plan. If that makes sense.

@pdunk  What special $15 plan? Is it postpaid, or prepaid?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Dtack

I haven't noticed anything so far.  Waiting for tomorrow to see about the phone calls and fingers crossed that all will be good and that we won't need to change anything!

Bilnok

Hi friends,

Have any of you noticed a drop in signal (3G and LTE) in Winnipeg, MB between yesterday at 9:00 PM and today?

I'm in the NE side of town, don't know if it's related to the last PM announcement for March 16, 2021?

Thank you,

@bluejaywpgFor those of us interested that don't live in Winnipeg/Brandon it would be interesting to see if you observe any dead zones if you "go for a drive" with your phone forced to 3G/HSPA/WCDMA mode if you feel so inclined. 🙂

@bluejaywpg , just in case it didn't work out the way you want, kindly still post your experience here before you leave so we understand the situation there..

Good Luck..  🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.