cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus customer hit with $24K cellphone bill: Could it happen to you?

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
8 REPLIES 8

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Dude lost his phone IN AMERICA and it didn't occur to him to report it lost?  Even if you think it's going to turn up eventually, you 100% report it lost immediately.  Once you find it you can just report that you found it.

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One of the many reasons why I now prefer prepaid service like PM.

To be fair though. The guy didnt report his phone lost or stolen before it was too late, but also with that being said there is little to no security for saying YES in a text message to gain more data while roaming, ect.

There should be more security added like logging into your account to add data while roaming so instances like this dont happen, rather than replying to a simple text message.

ech_786
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yes I have seen this ... 

and glad we are with PM, what is the worst going to happen if we lose our cell phone ..

this is the one of advantage being on prepaid service.  

Strange thing was from the article was that he lost his phone didn't bother for a week to check and tried to find out.

Anyway, this is good news for PM customers ... 

Great work PM!!!!!!!!!!

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You will not get a bill for $24,000...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/telus-cellphone-bill-consent-1.3969166

This is probably the highest cell phone bill I've ever seen. The second was when somebody got charged $18,000 on the Rogers network.

zmh1175
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It will never happen to Public mobile. Thanks PM for saving me more than 2 years.

Large amount of overages can still occur for customers of other prepaid carriers, or at least it's possible.  But the reason for it never getting that extent has to do with those charges would be limited to the current balance topped up in the account.  I can't see someone topping up more than a few hundered dollars at a time, and even then, customers would probably only do that because of a special sale price  on prepaid vouchers, or if someone without credit cards wishes to eliminate the need to top up every billing cycle.

In the case of Public Mobile, it can be a bad thing that there are no overage charges, because once everything included in the plan or add-on is used up, everything stops working.  However, that can also a good thing because on Public, short of a billing error, there are never be any surprise charges.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

This kind of news will happen over and over again on postpaid account.  

Need Help? Let's chat.