cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telemarketers

jonfirlotte
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just wanted to know, does Public Mobile sell my phone number to third parties? I recently got a call from a telemarketer and I was wondering how they got my number.

7 REPLIES 7

@Lar wrote:

I'm very careful about who I give my cell number to and was with Bell for many years and never got a telemarketer call. Now with PM I do get calls and I'm already on the DNC list. I report the calls and block them on my android.  Sometimes I do wonder if scammers do actually use the DNC list.

Truecaller is a good app to block. It keeps a list of telemarketers reported to them and blocks the numbers from ringing. The list is always updated based on info given by users.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

I moved to a place where I have to rent furnace, since I signed up for that rental I've been receiving hvac cleaning offers couple of times a week.

If you got only one the chances are it's a random number pick, but if you get steady stream even light one look at the changes around you, did you sign up for anything in past couple of months

Lar

I'm very careful about who I give my cell number to and was with Bell for many years and never got a telemarketer call. Now with PM I do get calls and I'm already on the DNC list. I report the calls and block them on my android.  Sometimes I do wonder if scammers do actually use the DNC list.

DL888

Can't say for sure but likely no. Telemarketers have a list of tel. no. and they basically just go down the list. Can't avoid it these days especially with most of those calls not even originating from Canada.

@jonfirlotte wrote:

I just wanted to know, does Public Mobile sell my phone number to third parties? I recently got a call from a telemarketer and I was wondering how they got my number.

They don't sell your number but telemarketers will often just call random numbers or every combinatuion in a block of numbers.  Some people also believe that the National Do Not Call List is used as a list of valid phone numbers by companies that don't follow the rules.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@jonfirlotte wrote:

Hmmm...good question but I would generally say no. I have never suspected any phone company of selling my number. Seeing as one of my numbers I have had for 20 years and I keep a very good lid on my privacy I can usually tell when my number has been sold. And most likely whom. Sometimes rewards cards/programs and department store credit cards but if you sign up for anything free, contests, subscriptions and any kind of marketing are huge culprits. Collection agencies will happily sell your phone number even if they have it in error. Some telemarketers  don't need to buy your information...because you supply it for free by registering to vote thru your taxes cra and provincially the voters list is publicly available.

tsparkle21

Here is PM's Privacy Policy: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/privacy-policy

At the end of the page, there is a link to add your number in the DNC list. I'm not sure how effective this is, but if your getting a lot of such calls then it's worth a try?

Need Help? Let's chat.