cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to Public Mobile

AnnetteC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently changed to Public Mobile from Rogers. I find it much clearer and having had the service for two weeks have not had any dropped calls or missed texts. I also find that the build my plan option was beneficial as I am not paying for services I am not using. It was easy to  change over. I find that the service is so much better than my previous provider as I work in a factory with a lunch room under ground. I was never able to use my cell phone at work until I changed to Public Mobile. Overall I am very pleased and am reccommending to all my friends and family to change their service to Public Mobile.

I had problems porting my existing number but sent an email for help and was pleased that this issue was resolved quickly.

26 REPLIES 26

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's great news, welcome to the family 🙂

srlawren

Welcome to Public Mobile, @HKCLai!  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

HKCLai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, everyone, thank you so much for your help. So, stubborn little me finally downloaded Firefox and lo-and-behold....viola, SUCCESS! I'm now an official PM customer!

Rockdaddy22
Maybe @Shazia_K or @Mary_M could give you a hand in the morning, hold tight they'll make contact in this thread.

HKCLai

Nothing seems to work....I'm on Mac, used both Safari and Chrome, reset, and still wouldn't display the dropdown properly....I even gone to my iPad mini, and it just come back with "No Options".....

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@HKCLai

i guess, its your browser acting up again.

clear the cache/cookies and try again.

use another browser if that fails.

i used firefox on mac os and it worked just fine.

@HKCLai I agree with @neo911, try a different browser. You on Mac or Windows?

HKCLai

Good catch, one of the plug-in was crashing the browser, play around with that, restart browser and it worked....however....got to page 2, and "Local Calling Area" wouldn't populate anything, so can't move forward....try to boldly "transfer", wouldn't accept the "alternate number" I entered, so no go, either....HELP!

neo911
Hi @HKCLai

You can try this link https://activate.publicmobile.ca/

It works at my end. Maybe try in different browser.

HKCLai

I ordered the card Sunday night, and received it today! Now, here is the next problem: I went to "activate.publicmobile.ca" and was redirected to "https://activate.publicmobile.ca/error?aspxerrorpath=/" right away. What can I do?

srlawren

@HKCLai it looks like you've already gotten some great info from @neo911 and @Rockdaddy22 🙂  A bit more detail on your last question:  yes, you can activate with a new phone number for as long as you like, and when you are happy, sign into your self-serve account, click on Plans and Add-ons, and then click on Change Phone Number, and there is an option to "Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider".  This is how you initiate the port request.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
That's not a problem at all, you won't need a new sim.

HKCLai

Cool. Thanks.

Now, I know this will make me sound like a skeptic....here is my thing, if I switch, I will have to switch my in-laws with me, so I want to make sure I'm happy before I actually do the switch....I have already ordered one SIM, is it possible to test the service out for a month, and then port over my actual number? I hope that won't mean I have to throw out the card and order another one if that is what I want to do....

neo911

yes @HKCLai

You pay every 90 days.

you get rewards for auto-pay ($6 for registering your credit card with auto-pay)

plus rewards if you contribute in the PM community, between $1 to $6 per month

plus you also get referral if any of your friend joins PM and puts your number as referral ($1 per month)

90 days plan works best and gives a great value proposition.

HKCLai

Yes. It does, thank you, but now I have more.....Smiley Very Happy

The 90-Days plan, if I opt for them, would it means that I pay every 90 days?

neo911

@HKCLai

Glad to see if you are interested in PM.

To answer your questions:

- The switch/porting process starts with the ordering of sim card online. PM does not have any physical presence. You can go to the website and order a sim card.

- Sim card would take anywhere from 3 days to 10 days to arrive (Depending on your location). It arrives through priority mail. PM will charge you around 10 $ for the courier charges but these charges will be refunded to you when you activate the sim card and send them an email requesting a refund.

- Yes, you have to choose a plan while activating the sim and have to pay accordingly.

- The switch over/porting process can take from 5 mins to a couple of hours. Again this is dependent on the carrier you are coming from.  I ported from wind and the process was completed in less than 10 mins.

I hope this answers your queries.

Do post any more queries you might have.

Hope to see you with PM soon !

HKCLai

How is the switch over process work? Is there a store I can go to to pick up a SIM or I have to order the SIM online? How long will the switch take? Do I pick the plan as I'm activating the SIM?

neo911

@AnnetteC

Super !!! So glad to hear you are happy with PM.

Having ported from a bad mobile operator I can relate to the drastic change in user experience.

Before joining PM, I literally had to look at my mobile before attempting any calls etc to check if the phone was in range. But now I have completely got rid of this stupid pratice.

More power to PM !

Rockdaddy22
Love hearing these positive stories, welcome to the PM family 🙂

pty

Welcome! I'm also new here and I find the PM community pretty supportive so far.

danette77

@AnnetteC It's always nice to hear from another happy customer. I've found the same. Better plan options, better coverage, better support ... just  better!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Welcome to Public Mobile and to our community and thank you for sharing your positive experience!

Cheers,

Mary 🙂

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

paul_1

not to mention saving about $20. per month and getting unlimited calling is a great benefit too.  Enjoy the savings and great service!

McLaren
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yes welcome and enjoy your stay, remember to tell your friends how much better it is on the other side!

Welcome to Public Mobile and the awesome community. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

Totally the same for me.  Was on WIND, and no service at home in old concrete building, nor service at work Ina big metal building, in a valley.  Totally satisfied with my service now!

Need Help? Let's chat.