cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switched phones and old phone receiving text messages still

spacecase
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I switched from Google Pixel 3 to iPhone 11 Pro. iPhone has sim card in it, I can send text messages, receive and make calls on it, but text messages sent to me are being received by the google pixel

5 REPLIES 5

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@spacecase wrote:

I switched from Google Pixel 3 to iPhone 11 Pro. iPhone has sim card in it, I can send text messages, receive and make calls on it, but text messages sent to me are being received by the google pixel

@spacecase 

Your iMessage settings might be set to receive and start messages from your Apple ID instead of your phone number.

To check if your phone number is set to send and receive messages, go to

Settings > Messages, and tap Send & Receive.

If you don't see your phone number, you can link your iPhone number to your Apple ID so you can send and receive iMessages from your phone number.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@spacecase 

To clarify, there are two types of text messages: SMS messages that are basically network-driven messages (that need a SIM card), and other Data messages that are basically data-driven messages (that will work on any data connection like wifi, etc with Whatsapp, etc).

If your SIM card is no longer in the old Google phone, then your messages are not traditional SMS messages.  Try @Nezgar's solution of disabling Rich Communication Services on your old phone to see if that helps.

To confirm, you're not using a different messaging app like Whatsapp or something, are you?

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@LEGO like iMessages is linked to your apple ID, chat features are probably linked to your google account or something...

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Nezgar Strange, I would assume they would follow the SIM card.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

On the google phone, go into the settings of the messages app, and turn off "chat features" aka RCS / Rich communication services.

It kind of works like imessages where it tries to route messages from other android users over data/wifi instead of as SMS/MMS on the cellular network.

Need Help? Let's chat.