cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch from 3G to 4G plan, no change in speed

tqtrinh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello fellow PB users,

I have just switch no more than 1 hours ago from the 4.5GB+500MB bonus 30 day 3G plan to a custom made 67$ 6GB 4G/LTE plan with Unlimited Calls Canada Wide and Unlimited text messages Internationally.

I can clearly see the changes made to my account, it's indicated 6000MB available of data.

My phone is the LG V20 H990N (Hong Kong version) with almost all the band's available.

Is there some kind of delay? I know when I first switch to PB for a 3G plan I got 4G speeds initially because it wasn't throttled down yet, is this the same issue but acting the other way around? I don't think it's fair in this case since I'm already paying the 4G speed but getting 3G speeds.

I get around 2.5-3mbps download and upload.Capture+_2019-07-08-14-08-44.png

Can anyone provide some feedback and let me know if I need to reach to a Moderator?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@tqtrinh wrote:

Oh and can I go back and change what I mark as the solution? Your latest reply with the screenshot definitely seals the deal.

@tqtrinh it is possible but not necessary.  I think @computergeek541 deserves the solution.  I'd forgotten about the message until I read his reply.  Cheers though!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tqtrinh

Thanks for the reply. I'll wait patiently then. Quite obviously I didn't read the message, I'll pay more attention next time. Thanks for everything. Oh and can I go back and change what I mark as the solution? Your latest reply with the screenshot definitely seals the deal.

srlawren

@tqtrinh wrote:

@srlawren it's unfair for those who won't switch back for for those that need the change to be immediate. 

There's no emergency in my case but I'm on a trip and wanted to enjoy the full capability of the 4G Network since my days are counting down.

@tqtrinh Unfair or not, unfortunately that's how the system works currently.  As @computergeek541 noted, they don't try to hide this from you.  There's a message right at the top of the plan change page that calls it out.  Maybe you didn't read the verbiage and jumped right to the plan tool below it?

DataSpeedChangeNotice.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@tqtrinh wrote:

@srlawren it's unfair for those who won't switch back for for those that need the change to be immediate. 

There's no emergency in my case but I'm on a trip and wanted to enjoy the full capability of the 4G Network since my days are counting down.

@computergeek541 

So there's no need to message Moderators? I just wait?

You can definitely send them a message if you choose to if you wish to express your concerns about being charged for a more expensive plan but only getting the slower speed for the first 2 days, but I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to come of it.  If certain Public Mobile staff manages to see this thread, they'll surely know your opinion about that.  How Public Mobile chooses to use your feedback is up to them.

As I was saying, when you change a plan, it comes up on the self-serve screen advising all customers that speed changes take up to 48 hours.  The speed should increase on its own shortly, and it's quite possible that if you didn't decide to discuss with the mdoerators, the speed might change for you before they've even responded.

tqtrinh

@computergeek541 

So there's no need to message Moderators? I just wait?

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@tqtrinh wrote:

Is that really the case? I don't find that very fair, I'm paying for 30 days but only will be enjoying the benefits of 4G LTE speed for 28 days?

Yes, this is the case.  This is how long the system takes to change the speed. When performing a plan change, this is stated on-screen.

@tqtrinh also: you will "gain" an extra couple of days when you switch it back.  So, it all evens out in the wash.  

@computergeek541 @stonechucker @will13am isn't it up to 72 hours?  I could have sworn.

Hey, what's 24 hours among friends?  Smiley Very Happy

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

I've added some text to my previous mesaage.  Up to 48 hours is from the plan change page.

@computergeek541 fair enough.  Hopefully this timeframe is more dependable than the "up to 48 hours" for moderator response when they are busy!

WOW, 3G Speed plans became available in July 2017.  How time flys!

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@tqtrinh wrote:

Is that really the case? I don't find that very fair, I'm paying for 30 days but only will be enjoying the benefits of 4G LTE speed for 28 days?

Yes, this is the case.  This is how long the system takes to change the speed. When performing a plan change, this is stated on-screen.

@tqtrinh also: you will "gain" an extra couple of days when you switch it back.  So, it all evens out in the wash.  

@computergeek541 @stonechucker @will13am isn't it up to 72 hours?  I could have sworn.

I've added some text to my previous mesaage.  Up to 48 hours is from the plan change page.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

@tqtrinh wrote:

@tqtrinh wrote:

Yes, this is the case.  This is how long the system takes to change the speed. When performing a plan change, this is stated on-screen.  The exact wording is: 

• When changing to a Data Plan of a different speed, you may experience a delay of up to 48 hours for the speed change to take effect. For example, if you have a 3G data plan and switch to a 4G LTE data plan, you will continue to receive 3G speeds for up to 48 hours before your new 4G LTE plan takes effect.

tqtrinh

tqtrinh

I'm changing plan just for a month though while I'm on a trip to Vancouver(originally from Montreal) switching back.

tqtrinh

Yes I did restart my phone, no change.

@tqtrinh wrote:

Hello fellow PB users,

I have just switch no more than 1 hours ago from the 4.5GB+500MB bonus 30 day 3G plan to a custom made 67$ 6GB 4G/LTE plan with Unlimited Calls Canada Wide and Unlimited text messages Internationally.

I can clearly see the changes made to my account, it's indicated 6000MB available of data.

My phone is the LG V20 H990N (Hong Kong version) with almost all the band's available.

Is there some kind of delay? I know when I first switch to PB for a 3G plan I got 4G speeds initially because it wasn't throttled down yet, is this the same issue but acting the other way around? I don't think it's fair in this case since I'm already paying the 4G speed but getting 3G speeds.

Can anyone provide some feedback and let me know if I need to reach to a Moderator?

Thanks

There's a 48 hour delay in speed changing going in either direction. There is nothing to do at this point.

I do recall a statement from someone at Public Mobile that changing in either direct, will have a delay of 1-2 days.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is the first time I have seen discussion about switching the other way.  There could very well be a lag in timing.  I would wait a day or two and if nothing change, then ask the moderators about maybe resetting the account.  Please do report back what happens for the benefit of those who do switch over to full speed LTE plans.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@tqtrinh wrote:

Hello fellow PB users,

Thanks

@tqtrinh  Did you restart your phone after the switch?

Alex888
Mayor / Maire

@tqtrinh  Try going into your account, report your phone as lost/stolen, log out, wait 5 minutes, log in and report it found, then restart your phone. If it's still not working you may need to contact the moderators, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.