cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Survey from 5131

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I made use of the mods the other day to a good conclusion and today I received a request to do a survey via text.

"Hey, it's Public Mobile. We hope your request went well. To help us improve, let us know how you felt about it by filling in this optional 1-minute survey. How did you recently get in touch with a Public Mobile Moderator to resolve your issue? Please reply with a 1 or 2. 1= Form via virtual assistant 2= Direct to Moderator via private message."

So I plunged in.

5131 was used for the new referral code and the summer data gift. And now this survey. (at least on either of my accounts) The summer gift also invited one to unsubscribe so it IS apparently interactive.

So it begs the question... @Alan_K@Tiana_V: why can't this exact same method be used as the last line of defense for a port request?

Hey, it's Public Mobile. A phone number transfer/port has been requested on behalf of this phone number. Please reply with 1 or 2 or ignore this message. 1= agree to proceed 2= STOP Ignoring this message will not let it proceed after 24 hours of this time stamp.

Yes I suppose if one had unsubscribed or blocks messages from that number and then upon trying to port out wonder why it didn't work and the ensuing support issue after that. But how often would support be needed. And wouldn't the customer understand and be appreciative of the protection even though they'd be peeved at first.

And if the request is overnight, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect to wait until the next morning ET of mod hours for the interaction to complete?

Come on Public Mobile. Lead the way. It's all there. You have it in your grasp. Make it happen.

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah. Gotcha. Yes of course. Any new system/service should absolutely be announced.

I wouldn't call it a warning per se. More of just a last confirmation. Say it's all legit. You start the port from the new provider. PM sends your phone number this text to confirm. You reply in the affirmative. Done.

If not, then you could reply no or possibly ignore it. No port. Done.

@Anonymous I was saying that if a new PM  text number is to be introduced to warn people about porting attempts. Then the first time that someone heard about it shouldn't be when an attempt is made to port. But that it should be introduced beforehand to everyone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mark_C : in this day and age with all that we've experienced and learned...if you're not practicing "safe-devicing" then that's on you. Don't click through on an unknown link. Examine it carefully. The url says publicmobility.tv. hmmm. Maybe not. But if you're so clueless to fall for phishing then.. well.. smarten up. SIM hijacking is done now without that last confirmation.

@will13am : To which I would say tough s**t. If you're so aggrieved by a few texts here and there from PM that you complain about receiving them and block reception of them and then when it comes time that you want to leave that you don't see the confirmation text then...tough noogies. Rant away loser.

@gblackma : this thread is about porting protection...not announcements

(my use of "you" is the royal you...not specifically you)

Where ever the communication comes from. It should first be announced here. And a first text message sent out with the message to check the community for an important announcement.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Anonymous , good suggestion.  Judging the typical character of a customer here, if such a notification was received, they would probably ignore it and come to the community forum and complain why Public Mobile is spamming them with text.  Essential notification needs to come from it's own unique channel and have no opt out option.  

Mark_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous 

Implementing text confirmation for port forwarding would increase the risk of users getting their accounts hijacked. For example, fraudsters could send phishing text messages that pose as port forwarding text confirmation to users. The texts could include malicious links that say "click here if you did not make this request". It would be better for PM to not implement port forwarding text confirmation, because identifying fraudulent spam texts would be easier to identify if the feature doesn't exist. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mark_C wrote:

@Anonymous 

I support adding text/ email notifications to changes made to the account. Also, as the OP mentions, measures should be taken to prevent sim hijacking. However, I think they don't add the feature mentioned because of cases where someone loses their phone. 

The post is all about porting protection. ie. sim hijacking.

If you lose your phone with SIM would you be porting out in that meantime? If so then send a pm when requested.

Edit: ok...upon some interpretation...yes, if someone steals your phone and they start a port request then they have your phone to say yes with. Sure. But if you lose your phone, the first thing you should do is to suspend service.

Mark_C
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Anonymous 

I support adding text/ email notifications to changes made to the account. Also, as the OP mentions, measures should be taken to prevent sim hijacking. However, I think they don't add the feature mentioned because of cases where someone loses their phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.