cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for a phone Under $200

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have a budget of $200 and looking for a new phone. Are there any suggestions for a decent phone over 16GB storage

13 REPLIES 13

ASUS phones and ASUS laptops are generally excellent - but not really as great as their pricetags suggest they should be.  They're definitely more sturdy than iPhones and Galaxies, they're packed with extra features and bells and whistles which are sometimes awesome but often useless.  ASUS hardware tends to be strong, ASUS software (and firmware) tends to be horrible, and ASUS tends to build in hardware add-ons which just won't work when the broken/buggy/bloated everything-in-one ASUS software suites aren't installed.

I say avoid SKY phones.  The one I bought (for my parents) was endlessly problematic in all sorts of stupid little ways.  Google showed that hordes of other SKY customers felt the same way.

I ended up replacing the SKY with some sort of cheap unlocked London Drugs phone.  Middly specs, low cost, huge screen, clever software, generic and impressive bang for the buck.  Hard to find a case for it, though, no specific cases made for this model and few generic cases could accommodate such a large device.

jonfirlotte

Phones made by Blu aren't bad, you can find them on Amazon for around that price point.

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you can budget  a little over $200, The Samsung A20 is a solid choice. It's $209 on amazon.ca

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tehowennathe wrote:

I have a budget of $200 and looking for a new phone. Are there any suggestions for a decent phone over 16GB storage

I briefly owned an Alcatel Android Go Edition phone from Staples. It was nice. I think I paid $80. Just because you have a budget doesn't mean you have to spend to it. 🙂

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic had a nice suggestion for another user and I'm keeping it in my logbook

You will probably have to look around to get it for the suggested price, but for about 50 more (175) you can get it from Amazon and the specs are nice.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@tehowennathe wrote:

Never seen a Asus phone in action but if it's as good as their laptops I'd might look into it 

Yeah, I've heard good things about Asus laptops as well.

tehowennathe

Never seen a Asus phone in action but if it's as good as their laptops I'd might look into it 

I have not personally used one.  I would check online reviews or maybe someone in the community can offer feedback.

tehowennathe

@Triguy wrote:

Check staples.ca.

There is a ASUS ZenFone Max M1 5.5" Unlocked Cell Phone under $200 with 16GB.

Motorola Refurbished Moto G Play 5" Unlocked Cell Phone

Does the ZenFone Max M1 have Micro SD card slot?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check staples.ca.

There is a ASUS ZenFone Max M1 5.5" Unlocked Cell Phone under $200 with 16GB.

Motorola Refurbished Moto G Play 5" Unlocked Cell Phone

Need Help? Let's chat.