cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange voices

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Over the past several hours, when I go to use my mobile, there's a strange voice on the other end BEFORE I do anything.

I ask who it is, and they don't reply.  There is no apparent call in progress and call history doesn't display anything?

It's almost as though they're listening.

It's rather unusual.

Any explanations?

21 REPLIES 21

pkaraa

I have seen this happening on cordless landlines in the past(2.4Hz) so cellphone in the building or nearby across the walls can overlap signals with walkies/landlines.

Hard reboot can fix this.

The phone might have some kind of (bizarre) malware or spyware.

There used to be apps which would allow people to use mobile phones are surveillance devices - to listen in on their spouse, child, etc. Such apps might still exist. Though I can't imagine why they'd essentially announce themselves by causing strange (and suspicious) voice things to happen, aside from being misconfigured or being some kind of prank/novelty.

This sort of behaviour used to be a problem back in ancient times, when phones were all based off analog landlines. Electrical signals could crosstalk, you could sometimes hear muted fragments of other conversations being carried on the same landlines. Radio signals could interfere or overlap, you could sometimes hear muted fragments of other conversations being carried on other transmitters. This doesn't seem very likely in today's age of digital magic, digital radio, digital signal processing, and digital fiberoptics ... but I suppose it's not impossible if any of these systems share electrical signal lines or adjacent/resonant radio channels anywhere along their path.

Compromised or unreliable communication devices can be a significant issue.

@Nezgar wrote:

Called 855 4PUBLIC from a landline and got the regular voice & menu right away for all 6 or so times....

Call 1-855-4Public couple times.. the first time was dead air.. then 4 times after were all good

I just tested calling 611 from my PM phone, and strangely enough all I got was a silence after the call connected.  Another dozen tests of so seems about 1/4 of the calls result in dead air.

Called 855 4PUBLIC from a landline and got the regular voice & menu right away for all 6 or so times....

Though @Ahsat this issue is completely different than that of the OP - this just sounds like an intermittend problem with 611 after the call connected. The OP's issue was about sounds with NO call connected...

Ahsat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My friend had this happen just 10 minutes ago. Each time he called 611, weird connection with voices. Once it cut straight to a man clearly speaking and giving his credit card number.

Very sketchy

@Spudster 

Aha! Mystery solved! Lol....are you feeling a little 😀?

Maybe you have the media volume down low and you left a web page ad, streaming music, radio or podcast app running quietly in the background.

PS:  @softech still PDT / EDT for another week, contrary to what a Bell customer may tell you today. 😉

softech
Oracle
Oracle

..but it is weird.. OP didn't even make the call yet Usually cell won't pick up interference when it is not making calls..

I guess Halloween night comes early

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Spudster 

Sounds like you were just picking up interference similar to how you could occasionally listen to your neighbour's conversation on your portable handset for your landline. And I remember having a partyline back in the '70's for a few months until bell upgraded the line.

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Spudster wrote:

Over the past several hours, when I go to use my mobile, there's a strange voice on the other end BEFORE I do anything.

I ask who it is, and they don't reply.  There is no apparent call in progress and call history doesn't display anything?

It's rather unusual.

Any explanations?

@Spudster 

Gremlins set up shop in your phone?

Put it in the microwave and...nuke it!👾

Seriously though, it could be crosstalk, caused by Co-channel interference or Electromagnetic interference.

There you have the big words. Read them up. 😀

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Spudster wrote:

@Anonymous   do you think Halloween pranksters are on the loose?

I would say a bit early. It's ony 4pm EST and 1PM PST..  I thought the "ghost" are still sleeping now

so, phone reboot as I suggested  works?

Spudster

I've rebooted the device.   

This is kinda freaky.   

@Anonymous   do you think Halloween pranksters are on the loose?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@softech wrote:

@Anonymous   I doubt CS Agent will be able to help.  OP heard the "noise" before before calling.  Sound to me it's a device issue and not network.

@softech 

i agree with you, but if that scam hacker getting in device maybe the CSA, need to check it out the account and network, and the OP has to check the device to run antivirus, 

@Anonymous   I doubt CS Agent will be able to help.  OP heard the "noise" before before calling.  Sound to me it's a device issue and not network.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spudster 

that scam hacker to your device,

and you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,

and do Rebooting your phone,to refreshing your network,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

if it happened some other day need to report to Contact Customer Support Agent by CS_Agent,

@Spudster   What kind of phone do you have/

first reboot the phone.. see if it ok.

if issue persists.. and if you don't mind trying to do some work and to be safe, try reset your phone.  After reset , do NOT restore the previous backup from cloud.  Try to manually setup the phone yourself (you don't want to restore old backup just in case it's not "clean")

Spudster

@softech 

Like before i make a call... before I even start dialing.

No other phone or SIM to try.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Spudster...were they speaking English or  ?

edit; can you smell anything that sorta smells like skunk ?  🤣

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Spudster wrote:

It's rather unusual.

Any explanations?

What is "BEORE I do anything"

did you try the usual troubleshooting steps?  

Reboot your phone, put your SIM on another phone.. or put another SIM on your phone?   let us know how it turns out

Spudster

Voice was there before I did anything.

It was not discernable what was being said - almost muffled.   

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Halloween?

you heard the voice after you press dial?  and what was it saying?

Need Help? Let's chat.