cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight To Voice Mail

cbx4evr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My question is how is a caller able to go straight to voice mail and leave a message without the phone ringing or any record of an incoming call??? (I'm on an iPhone XR).

Since switching to Public Mobile I find a voicemail from Commercial Credit Adjusters looking for someone who isn't me. The phone never rings yet they are able to leave a voicemail. I do have the option "Silence Unknown Callers" turned on but that is supposed to display an entry in the Recent Callers list which doesn't happen.

Likely story is that these bill collecting bottom dwellers have a way to spoof the system. We complain about calls from India but here we have a company in Winnipeg pulling similar stunts. I did file complaint with DNCL and was able to block number because the voice mail system advised it. (403) 984-5170 if you want to add it to your blocked callers list.

4 REPLIES 4

@pmmobile wrote:

c) someone dialing PM's sytem voicemail number, selecting your phone #, then leaving a voicemail directly

This is how my family used to save on long distance charges. Call the local voicmail access number, and enter the mailbox # (phone number) for the other person who is in a different city, without ringing their phone.

But now marketers are abusing this "feature", and is becoming quite a rampant business model in the US apparently. only a matter of time for it to ramp up here too...

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@cbx4evr  The following could explain your situation: a) conditional busy call forwarding on, b) not available/reachable call forwarding on, c) someone dialing PM's sytem voicemail number, selecting your phone #, then leaving a voicemail directly

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@cbx4evr We use iPhones and have this phenomenon regularly. Our block caller lists are at least 100 and continue to grow. Even before voicemail spam was rampant, but the phone just kept ringing until the caller gave up (10+ Robot LOL). 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@cbx4evr, poor network connectivity can lead to calls going straight to voice mail.  If the phone app is set to some sort of busy status, call could be forced to voice mail.  I don't use an iPhone, but on android, spam calls are blocked, not sent to voice mail. 

Need Help? Let's chat.