cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stolen Number and Email Account

ekchow21
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, yesterday someone stole my phone number (changed the SIM card) and also hacked into my email account. What are the next steps?

16 REPLIES 16

boz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@maximum_gato wrote:

@boz 

Your account info differs from your credit card info on the account.....anybodys credit card can be on your account that address has to match the credit card holders billing address. Where as the account holders info is for identification and is used for verification. Keep that in mind with the changes you make.....whether subtle dicfferences in the spelling of your name or suddenly youre Brad Pitt or Ryan Reynolds. Make sure you know exactly the changes youve made in case you have to verify yourself thru your account info to the moderators.

Wonderful, thanks for your insight.  Greatly appreciated.

@boz 

Your account info differs from your credit card info on the account.....anybodys credit card can be on your account that address has to match the credit card holders billing address. Where as the account holders info is for identification and is used for verification. Keep that in mind with the changes you make.....whether subtle dicfferences in the spelling of your name or suddenly youre Brad Pitt or Ryan Reynolds. Make sure you know exactly the changes youve made in case you have to verify yourself thru your account info to the moderators.

boz

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@boz wrote:

SIM JACK AVOIDANCE

Once you have your account set up. Later on, you can go back into your

account and change your name. Misspell it or put in a maiden last name etc. I

then recommend you either turn your “My Account” page into a PDF file or a

paper file to later refer to. SIM jacking can lead to identity theft and the porting

process requires your name spelled correctly as per your account information

like account number, first name and last name, phone number and PIN number.

———————————

What if you use prepay and your credit card needs the correct spelling of your name?  Does your advice impact on that?

No, it has been a recommendation here for quite awhile. I changed mine and wifes’ a couple of weeks  ago and did a top up a few days ago and no issues. 

Terrific.  Thanks for the advice.  I’ll give it a whirl. 

@boz wrote:

SIM JACK AVOIDANCE

paper file to later refer to. SIM jacking can lead to identity theft and the porting

———————————

What if you use prepay and your credit card needs the correct spelling of your name?  Does your advice impact on that?

No, it has been a recommendation here for quite awhile. I changed mine and wifes’ a couple of weeks  ago and did a top up a few days ago and no issues. 

boz

SIM JACK AVOIDANCE

———————————

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@ekchow21 wrote:

Hi, yesterday someone stole my phone number (changed the SIM card) and also hacked into my email account. What are the next steps?

Change your email password and when you get back up and running make your PM password a long one with mixed characters and symbols. 

SIM JACK AVOIDANCE

ekchow21

Thanks I have pm the moderator again with *Urgent Help needed: SIM Jacked .

Hopefully I will be able to get my phone number back; as all my email verficaiton is tied to this number. Therefore I am not able to change any of my passwords. 

@ekchow21 wrote:

Thanks, I have called all my bank and credit cards and froze them. I have also called Equifax and Transunion to put a potential fraud alert. Unfortunately, both my email and phone number got stolen, and unsure If i will be able to obtain my email or phone number back 😞

@ekchow21  Most SIM jackings start by the email getting compromised. That is why it's important to use strong passwords and additional authentication mechanisms available to protect them. (One time Authentication codes, Authentication Apps etc.) If you haven't heard back from the moderator send them another message with a heading **Urgent Help needed: SIM Jacked **

Hopefully they will be able to get your number back and then maybe you can gain control back of your email.

ekchow21

Thanks, I have called all my bank and credit cards and froze them. I have also called Equifax and Transunion to put a potential fraud alert. Unfortunately, both my email and phone number got stolen, and unsure If i will be able to obtain my email or phone number back 😞

@ekchow21  This is a very serious security breach. Google it is called. SiIM-jacking. You shoulf focus on securing your banking and credit card accounts and gain back access of email account. Practice online security hygiene from know on to protect you identify.

Good Luck!

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@ekchow21 

• call your bank and let them know what happened
  • call Equifax to restrict any accounts from being made
  • change all your passwords. keep your public mobile password different than your email etc.
  • change your 2fa phone number to something other than your personal phone number. 
  • try to trace back any links you've recently clicked on that might of installed malware
  • check your phone to see if there are any apps you haven't installed and delete them right away

ekchow21

Thanks I have message the moderator team

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ekchow21 , I suggest reaching out to the moderator team to restore your account.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using smartforms which is initiated by clicking on the ? on the lower right corner of the webpage or try using this link. The guided process will facilitate documentation of the issue or concern and the required resolution which will be submitted to the moderator team. Refer to this announcement link for additional details on smartforms and the ticketing system for moderator team interactions. If use of smartform brings no joy, then use the following direct link to private message the moderator team. Refer to the following knowledge base article for additional information on the moderator team.  Good luck.

Need Help? Let's chat.