cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam from caller id’s starting with “V”?

FishandBirds
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My place of employment has a landline and we are plagued with endless calls, all from different phone numbers yet they all use a caller ID starting with a “V”, followed by a set of about 15 digits, the digits change each time.

We answer but the line is silent for several seconds and then hangs up. When we call back the results vary. Sometimes it’s a pre-recorded robot talking about how charities are exampt from the NDNC list, other times it’s real people. One instance when I called the number back, it connected me to the local library who verified that the business phone number was no where in their system.

what is causing this and how can we stop it?

Not answering isn’t an option as it is a business line, we have been blocking every number so far but that hasn’t done any good.

Who owns the business that is giving out this “V” code? What is the business name?

9 REPLIES 9

@FishandBirds wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@FishandBirds  Who is the landline provider?

Cox I believe.

@FishandBirds  Are they a VOIP provider? If yes, take a look at this service they offer free landline service. I use them with VOIP.ms and it eliminates most of these type of calls.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You should call the RCMP (CANADIAN ANTI-FRAUD CENTRE) 1-888-495-8501 or email info@antifraudcentre.ca and they will look into it. This will likely keep happening and it's unfortunate.

@FishandBirds wrote: What is the point of calling and having nothing on the line? No advertisement, no scam asking for into. And filling in the caller number with meaningless numbers (like the library, they’re a real place, not a scam.)

It is dialling equipment that finds lines that get answered. if a line is answered and a person is available on their end they connect the two so they can sell you something, request donations, scam you out of something or.....  If they have no one available to jump on the call instantly then equipment notes the lines that are answered and you will be targeted later.

AE_Collector

FishandBirds

The calls being annoying is only a small piece of the problem. It’s a retail store, annoying calls is part of the territory.

my problem is that these V-generates calls are clogging our line and keeping customers from calling us. They’re directly damaging our business. If I could get a hold of whoever is generating these calls, I could get the business line blocked by the company so it couldn’t be auto-dialed.

FishandBirds

@CalgaryBen wrote:

I got a similar call on my cell phone. Caller Name (CNAM) shows as V12016360800011 and number (CLID) showed as 1-819-800-3437.

When CNAM/CLID are both delivered, phones usually preferentially display the CNAM field, hence your seeing this. Normally it would be the caller's name or business.

I think it's a scammer. I get so many scammer calls that I can't remember who claims to be what, but when you Google the phone number, many have reported it to be fraudsters claiming to the CRA, etc.

Spoofing both CNAM and CLID is easily done by scammers, and they'll keep changing these to dodge blocking, so unfortunatley there isn't much that can be done, as a consumer.

What is the point of calling and having nothing on the line? No advertisement, no scam asking for into. And filling in the caller number with meaningless numbers (like the library, they’re a real place, not a scam.)

is there any way way to track the caller’s location? Try to find out if it’s conung from a certain call center or link the auto-generates caller ID’s with a specific auto-dialing business?

FishandBirds

@geopublic wrote:

Cox I believe.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@FishandBirds wrote:

My place of employment has a landline and we are plagued with endless calls, all from different phone numbers yet they all use a caller ID starting with a “V”, followed by a set of about 15 digits, the digits change each time.

what is causing this and how can we stop it?

I got a similar call on my cell phone. Caller Name (CNAM) shows as V12016360800011 and number (CLID) showed as 1-819-800-3437.

When CNAM/CLID are both delivered, phones usually preferentially display the CNAM field, hence your seeing this. Normally it would be the caller's name or business.

I think it's a scammer. I get so many scammer calls that I can't remember who claims to be what, but when you Google the phone number, many have reported it to be fraudsters claiming to the CRA, etc.

Spoofing both CNAM and CLID is easily done by scammers, and they'll keep changing these to dodge blocking, so unfortunatley there isn't much that can be done, as a consumer.

@FishandBirds I've seen this before, and from what I recall the phone number itself looks normal, and that it's just the name that looks strange. I would just block the calls. Unwanted calls is something that I believe that we all deal with at some piont or another.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.