cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam calls from 891 numbers

otterstrike
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is anyone else suddenly getting spam calls from spoofed 250-891-xxxx numbers? It seems like Public Mobile (or another provider that uses the 891 number set has been hijacked. I call them back and they're just random people that have definitely called me.

9 REPLIES 9

JLakerson
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@otterstrike 

I get spam calls all the time from spoofed numbers. I can usually tell when the numbers have the same first 6 digits as my number. But like others mentioned, this isn't an issue within Public Mobile - everyone can get spam calls, it doesn't matter which cellular network they are using. 

If I get a missed call, I usually call back to make sure that it wasn't something important. Most often, I don't get an answer, I get a voicemail (I'll leave a message but they never return the call), or someone will pick up and say they never called.

If you are getting frustrated with these calls, you can do what I used to do which was to not answer calls from unrecognized numbers as I was under the assumption that if the call was important, the person would leave a voicemail. (I have more time on my hands now so I am usually curious and answer all calls.)

@Jb456

Oh right - yeah *67 was for Per Call Display Blocking on POTS landlines...

@Nezgar Thank you for clarifying. I just looked quickly seen 67 figured it was blocking your number. Thanks again! 

@Jb456

#31#NXXNXXXXXX is to hide your outgoing caller ID, not conditional call forwarding...

You need the stars around 67, and the pound at the end after the number.

@Nezgar  would it not be #31# to block calls? That is what I use. I was never able to do *67 it always said talk not included in your plan so I just use #31# as that's the same with my Koodo home phone.

Forward your scam & spam calls to Lenny. 😁

Dial *67*12264447726# - Now, when you see an incoming junk call, simply "decline" the call and it will be directed to Lenny instead of your voicemail. (Unasnwered calls will still go to voicemail as usual) Undo by dialing ##67#.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get these calls, usually in spurts.  The numbers are spoofed and so it is not possible to locate/ID the caller.  There is not much anyone can do about this other than to mark the call as spam and let the dialer app block the number.  Even this is a bit of a whack a mole game as the spammer is not likely to use the same spoofed number more than once.  

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@otterstrike wrote:

Is anyone else suddenly getting spam calls from spoofed 250-891-xxxx numbers? It seems like Public Mobile (or another provider that uses the 891 number set has been hijacked. I call them back and they're just random people that have definitely called me.

@otterstrike   Unfortunately random or even spoofed spam numbers are fairly common.  Best to just block numbers that you believe are spamming you instead of calling them back.  If it's a legitimate call they should  be able to leave you a voicemail message or text.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Happens with all providers not just PM. Spammers are spoofing legit numbers. Generally they make it look like your phone number.

Example mine starts with 514-441 and I get calls now and then that start the same then it's the recording ."this is service Canada blah blah blah".

All you can do is hangup and ignore them. I wouldn't suggest blocking the number as it's a legitimate number and if someone was actually trying to reach you from that number they wouldn't be able to. However that is your call if you want to completely block the number or not.

Sorry this is happening to you but we all experience it from time to time. 

Need Help? Let's chat.