cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone trying to use my phone number on social media.

B12
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm not sure where to put this in the community and don't wanna bother staff about it.

Minutes ago, I received 2 of the same confirmation codes for a social media platform, so that means, someone somewhere is trying to use my phone number for their social platform.

Do I have any way to find out who or to prevent them from using my phone number?

8 REPLIES 8

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

We're all in that situation @B12, clearly being here in the Community.  But even us here have questions sometimes too.  🙂

B12

Not to toot my own horn but I'm into I.T. 😂😎 I'm usually the one helping everyone else do things.

BlueB

@B12

Good for you on being diligent and paying attention!  Some people don't, and can occasionally be part of a much larger scheme to steal something from you, whether it's your identity, access, a mix of that, or other things.  Some people are a little too creative (in a bad way!).  🙂

B12

Yeah, the whole thing threw me off guard and I panicked a tad.

I'm not used to seeing confirmation codes being texted to me xD. Now if I were to have gotten a text verifying my phone number onto an account I'd be very concerned.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@B12 wrote:

I'm not sure where to put this in the community and don't wanna bother staff about it.

Minutes ago, I received 2 of the same confirmation codes for a social media platform, so that means, someone somewhere is trying to use my phone number for their social platform.

Do I have any way to find out who or to prevent them from using my phone number?

@B12 

Likely a mistake with your phone number being used.

You should be able to go to that specific platform and see how to report or remove information from that source.

Google whatever platform it is and type "remove phone number from ... " OR contact Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. 'Contact US' or HELP section and go that route.

BlueB

I agree with @computergeek541 that it's likely a mistake on the user's part.  I've received similar emails with the same thing.  If a reply is requested (eg. to Confirm), obviously don't reply!

Depending on the site/situation, it is sometimes helpful to reach out to the site directly to report a security issue.  What may seem like a random annoyance/issue could possibly amount to a bigger fraud/security issue for the site.  If they're aware of it, then they may be able to take other actions to protect their own operations.

Anyways, more often than not, I just ignore these.  🙂

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

If it is  not someone trying to logon your account and a 2FA sent to your phone, I would say it is nothing to concern with.  Nothing you can do after all.  It is also possible that they entered the wrong number.

@B12 wrote:

As you suspected, this isn't something that moderators can help you with. There isn't anything stopping someone from typing your phone number in.  I suspect tha tthis is simply a mistake by the person entering it. As you are using the phone number, there isn't any way for the other perosn to pass the social media website's verification techniques when they don't have access to the incoming messages at your phone number. This will stop on its own when the other person realizes that they haven't received the text message.

Need Help? Let's chat.