cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone opened a PM account on my name

Eskay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am getting welcome and activation emails from PM. I suspect someone is trying to do a SIM SWAP. How do I get the PM account terminated to protect myself? Can someone help?

25 REPLIES 25

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Self-Serve has been a little broken lately.

Even when using different browsers and different machines, clearing cache/cookies, etc. I've had sessions refuse to login (and prompt me for phone number so a 6-digit authentication code could be sent) then work fine after clicking refresh. I've had other sessions suddenly logout for no apparent reason.

Maybe it's unrelated to the OP problem - and I'd be concerned about SIM fraud, theft of account, theft of phone number as well. But if part of the system is broken (bugs, overloaded, undergoing maintenance, whatever) then it's probably affecting the whole system.

@computergeek541 Too bad we can't match this with the corresponding "I can't get into my account and am not receiving the lost password email" lol.

@Eskay wrote:

Just wanted to update the group - PM finally (after more than a week of back and forth) removed my credentials from the suspicious account. I would like to Thank this community for their help in directing me to the right channels!

I am hoping PM will strengthen their processes and systems to prevent fraudsters from hijacking / misusing your info. This should be a mandatory requirement for all service providers. 

I don't find this at all to be suspicious. The simplest explanation is usually the best one. I find it most likely that when this person opened an account, the person's e-mail address was typed in incorrectly by mistake.  As for removing your creditentials, I very much doubt that that Public Mobile did anything but remove your e-mail address from the account. Public Mobile does not verify someone's name or address upon activation and someone really could put it in anything for those. This information also isn't provided to anyone when making calls.  If someone wants to pretend to be you, that person would only have to mention your name during a converstion and there would be no need to open a new Public Mobile account.  

As for the possibility of  sim swap, that isn't something that's happening here. For a sim swap, someone takes over your existing account.  For a different scenario, if someone wants to try to fraudently port your number over from another carrier to Public Mobile, that person wouldn't even need to use your name or e-mail addresss on the Public Mobile account. In fact, that woudl be a silly way to go about things because as you've discovered, when someone opens up an account using your e-mail address, you are notifified.

@Eskay 

Thanks for the update.Do you think you were offered a solution to your issue? If so pick one. Ere happy to hear pm eventually fixed the problem.

Eskay

Just wanted to update the group - PM finally (after more than a week of back and forth) removed my credentials from the suspicious account. I would like to Thank this community for their help in directing me to the right channels!

I am hoping PM will strengthen their processes and systems to prevent fraudsters from hijacking / misusing your info. This should be a mandatory requirement for all service providers. 

@Eskay wrote:

I use a unique email so the chances of someone inadvertently giving mine are rare. Opened the account on PM to see how the account get be terminated, not quite sure how to go about contacting the Mods and if they can help my case when I don’t have complete details of the perpetrator. I wish there was a customer care # and it would have been lot easier.

@Eskay If you are able to access the PM account, you can see all the details of the account setup. This includes the name and address was used to signup, the phone number they are using, which plan they are on, call and texting history, security question and answer, etc...

Eskay

Thank you! Did that and am waiting for a response. 

@Eskay 

Put Moderator_team in the address bar. My email used for unknown account  in the subject bar. Then explain your issue in detail and the moderators will help you. Keep an eye on the envelope icon next to your avatar at the top right corner of your screen for a little number to pop up indicating a message from the moderators. Responding promptly to messages will speed up service times. Expect a 2 to 8 hour wait  for a response.

Eskay

To do that shouldn’t I know whom to send it to? Are there details of Mods that I can ask for help? 

🙏🏼 

@Eskay 

use the private method option

Eskay

I went through the ticket submission steps but it is not allowing me to submit unless I give the PM # and other details, which only the perpetrator knows. Kind of stuck here! 

Eskay

Thank you! This is very helpful! 

Cheers!

Eskay

I use a unique email so the chances of someone inadvertently giving mine are rare. Opened the account on PM to see how the account get be terminated, not quite sure how to go about contacting the Mods and if they can help my case when I don’t have complete details of the perpetrator. I wish there was a customer care # and it would have been lot easier.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Eskay the very first post on your thread is instructions how to contact the moderators.

SIMon chat bubbles-01.jpeg

submit ticket-01.jpeg

Eskayy 

click on the question mark chat bubble to the bottom right of your screen
type "security or identity fraud issue"
(use the chat bubble options, then click "submit a ticket, click me" option)
*login using your community account

make sure to check your inbox(top right corner envelope icon) periodically, for a response

since you are not a customer and we can't be sure what the exact info the perpetrators used private message them here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

use both methods.

call you current provider and tell them to put a port block on your account

Eskay

Thanks for the tips! 

Eskay

How are you so sure?

Eskay

Thank you! I don’t have an account with PM and my email address is unique. I spoke with my current service provider and they confirmed the first step in a SIM SWAP hacking process is to open an account with another service provider using the target’s credentials. This masks the illegal transfer and gives the impression of it being legit. 

How do I contact the Mods? Appreciate your help!

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Eskay Welcome and activation e-mail don't indicate sim swap.  Phone numbers can't be moved between accounts and sim swapper isn't going to pay to do the swap.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Eskay check the email for the account number and speak with moderators. in the mean time change all your passwords and check your financial institutions for unknown charges. don't brush it off, make sure your identity is secure. 

also create a new email strictly for public mobile. dont use your personal email for this website. at least this way if you do get hacked. they are brought to an email that's useless for them. LSO change your name and address in your self serve account

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@Eskay wrote:

I am getting welcome and activation emails from PM. I suspect someone is trying to do a SIM SWAP. How do I get the PM account terminated to protect myself? Can someone help?

Hi @Eskay 

Do you already have an account with PM?

In order to do a SIM SWAP, the perpetrator would need access to your account of your current cell provider.

Or if the perpetrator has access to your cell account info (phone number, account number and your full name with the provider), they could port your number over to another provider.

If there has been no signs of usual activity at your end, there is no need to worry.

As usual, you should change your passwords from time to time.

If you have a commonly named email, it is likely that someone activated an account using your email by mistake. There is no need to be alarmed.

You can simply notify moderators that you are receiving these emails when you haven't activated with Public Mobile. Moderators should do their part to notify the new customer of the mistake.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Eskay , since each account requires a unique email address, please check the email address of this new account against yours.  It could be an email alias that was used, but it definitely cannot be identical to your email address.  It is possible that the person who activated this new account typed in a wrong email address.  Once you satisfy yourself that this is not an attack on your existing account, you can decide how to proceed.  Technically speaking, if the email address is different even if it is an email alias name, it is legit for use by someone else.  You could discuss this with the moderator team and have them consult the other party on best way forward.  

wondering what kind of email is it?  to the same email you registered to your PM account?  Or maybe phising email etc.   if indeed hacked or somewhat, only mod can help in this case.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Eskay ,

I suggest changing your email password. Or maybe someone entered your email via a typo?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Eskay wrote:

Contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative) for assistance:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Edit: Can any mods online assist OP. @Alexia_H , @Jorge_M , @LAURA_P , @Arturo_H  , @Gely_F 

Need Help? Let's chat.