cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Somebody stolen my wife's phone number without my apptoval

necafe1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I really don't understand the procedure to activate public mobile service. Somebody tries to steal my wife's phone number and it is just done with receiving a text message.
She received the message "We received a request to cancel your number to another carrier..." We thought it is a scam so ignored because she is using her number and she didn't request. However, her phone number was canceled and somebody tried to steal my money by using her phone number. (I have to solve this today)
How does it working? Without double-checking, somebody can get my number without my approval?
After that, we ask the guy in Walmart who stolen her number but he said he couldn't do anything. With her id card, they cannot check the phone number status. They welcome if you open your number in Public mobile but not guarantee to use your number. It can be stolen and they don't care if you lose your money or not
14 REPLIES 14

@necafe1  To speak to a live agent at Canada's two main credit reporting agencies call the the following phone numbers and follow the prompts:

1. Equifax.ca (M-F 9am-5pm et) 1 866 828 5961 hold for English then press (7)
  2. Transunion.ca (M-F 8:30am-5pm et) 1 800 663 9980 press (1) English press (4) agent

Be prepared to answer a series of random questions about your canadian work history, home addresses (remember some questions have no correct answer - that's ok!) This is one of the rare occasions that you must provide your SIN # (secure agency). The fraud alert should be provided free of charge...if they still want to charge a nominal fee ($1-$5) explain that you have no access to credit/funds due to your current situation and they will waive any fees. Both you and your wife have to call individually and they will also ask you to be by yourself to ensure no one can overhear your conversation because of the highly secure personal info/data you will be providing. Have a pen and paper handy for account/reference numbers etc...that you will be given. Best of luck!

P.S. Love Squamish! We spend almost every summer weekend at cat lake! (*ask Lorraine 4 me)

necafe1

Thank you so much @darlicious

I don't exactly know how to report to Equifax and Transunion but I will figure it out definitely.

We are here in Canada for around 8 years but recently got a Permanent Resident.

We are following up on the procedure in Public Mobile. I will report the result after fixing this.

I really appreciate your advice.

@necafe1  As I advised your wife you should probably do the same....contact Equifax and Transunion and put a seven year fraud alert under your name to prevent any credit fraud from happening. When the dust settles report this to the Canadian anti fraud centre.

necafe1

Thanks for your reply. I submitted her information to moderators a few minutes ago.

I am not sure if they will figure it out but let's see.

Because most of the website uses text message as a secondary authentication even banking account, it is very serious to transfer sim out but for Public mobile, they didn't.

We are following this. Thanks again

@necafe1  Have the moderators provided you with which mobile provider her number has been ported to? Once that information has been provided you will need that provider to work with public mobile and your wife's  and your financial institutions fraud department to work together to trace the fraudster and help recover your wife's number, financial losses and and beef up security surrounding the ability to commit this kind of fraud. There has been a lapse in confidentiality of private information....you need to find out where that stems from which is likely within your family unit. Your wife's name and phone number are easily accessible....who or how her public mobile account number was accessed is the key to the security lapse.

necafe1

Thanks a lot @ShawnC13 

I attach her explanation to moderators but they don't do anything.

@necafe1 the person at Walmart was correct there is nothing they can do as they can only activate sims. Any customer service issue must be done by the moderators here. The thread linked above is that your wife who started that thread?  Sim jacking/identity theft had been  a big thing in the news just a few months ago and unfortunately was happening with many providers

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

I was referring to your own account if you had one @necafe1 .  We can't help with your wife's account. Only the moderators can. Contact them if you haven't already. Use this private message link to contact them directly and explain what happened. https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent. Also keep an eye on the envelope, the mods answer will show up there.
You can also enable email notification to receive a private message notification sent to your email.
Go into your community account > my settings > PREFERENCES > Private Messenger > enable "Receive email notifications for new private messages" > Save

necafe1

Yes. She is my wife. I didn't know that she already posted

necafe1

Thanks for your reply. It is not working with her id already and they couldn't help anything

Thanks @JoyLuck , I was just going to link into that thread too.

@necafe1 if you have an account with PM. Log in immediately and change your name to anything you would like Ie Dart Vader. This prevents your number from being ported out.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bl@@dy h311 @Alan_K ! Do. Something.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

Have a look at this thread about simjacking. Just happened to another PM user yesterday.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/The-cell-number-had-been-stolen/m-p/522104...

Need Help? Let's chat.