cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some calls go directly to voicemail

hance2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Some calls from my work go directly to voice mail, they hear no ringing . Not all calls and not from every number. Also if they call again right after  my phone almost always rings.

This has now started happening when some Telus cell users call me.

I have tried...

Turning airplane mode, on rebooting then turn it off and rebooting.

Taking SIM out rebooting, turning off, inserting, rebooting.

Same again but cleaning SIM with alcohol.

Changing ringtone rebooting, blah, blah.

Account is an autopay. 

I never had this problem with Telus using same phone in same area.

18 REPLIES 18

@hance2 wrote:

I can't simply test to see if it works because it's random and leaves no trace of a missed call.

I think technically when this happens, the callers should be immediately forwarded to voicemail. In this case, you should see a call to voicemail in your usage history in your self-service portal.

I still think this is most likely caused by an LTE to 3G transition failure when an incoming call happens since Public Mobile doesn't support VoLTE and Telus & Koodo do - so it would be a good troubleshooting step to see once LTE is removed from the picture...

Lastly, maybe it wouldn't hurt to open a ticket with the moderators to do an account reset/reprovisioning to see if that helps. I have no idea what that does, but others have reported an improvement with issues like this...

hance2

Nope I did not. I will though. Of course I can't simply test to see if it works because it's random and leaves no trace of a missed call.

It is a system problem because I have read about a few different people having the same issue.

Funny thing is I have had zero issues with Telus or Koodo  with this same phone in the same area from the same callers! 

@hance2 

Again... did you try forcing your phone to 3G / disabling LTE....

hance2

It stills does this.

I can almost hit the tower with a baseball it's that close.

Signal strength meter is at the max.

There is great coverage here for bell/telus not so good for Rogers. 

Getting pretty sick of this and there is no way of knowing when it happens.

The missed calls are from voip, Telus cell, and Bell land lines for sure, don't know what other provider methods are being used on the call I miss 

902954×××× Old area code and old number. 

Curious to hear results of forcing to 3G. Maybe you have weak 3G coverage in some areas, and the LTE to 3G transition fails occasionally.

hance2

I am in Atlantic Canada. 

My phone is a Samsung running 6.xx.

If I ever find out the exact issue I will certainty post it here.

@hance2 

Any chance you are in Manitoba?

@chromeknickersSince Public Mobile does not support VoLTE, when a call comes in the phone has to switch down to 3G mode to take or make a call. If that transition takes too long or fails, it could result in the symptoms you describe.

To work around this potential cause, you can try disabling LTE by forcing the phone to 3G/WCDMA/HSPA mode so it doesn't have to switch networks to start a call.

chromeknickers

Spudster already mentioned this (however, it wasn’t acknowledged if you have an iPhone), but it does have this feature that silences unknown callers and sends them straight to voicemail. 

Settings > Phone > Silence Unknown Callers > Off

I’ve also noticed with my iPhone that when certain centres call me, especially medical centres or hospitals, it’ll ring once (or not at all) and go straight to voicemail. However, the person calling me swears it rang a handful of times before going to voicemail (but I only hear it once). 

I do hope you get it sussed out soon. 

hance2

I have No callers blocked. Never had.

I have never used call forwarding in my life.

There are not now nor has there ever been any call restrictions.

Thanks again everyone!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@hance2 

Do you have any call forwarding to your phone from voip or another phone system?

hance2

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

I have done all the suggested fixes.

My account is on autopay and is not very old but I didn't have any issues for the first 3 months.

Only time will tell if it's been fixed

I don't use a phone much, but when do I need to get my calls.

One a side note,  I don't get any emails when there is a reply on here but that box is checked.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@hance2 

That sounds like do not disturb mode with urgent (repeating within certain time interval) going through. It's also possible that you let your started/favorite or some other list in your contacts go through during the dnd mode. Can happen if you let kids play with a phone or maybe pressing it accidentally

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@hance2 

Check to see if one of the following call settings is enabled:

• Call rejection or block
  • Call barring
  • Forward to voicemail

Re Android, To fix the issue try to disable these settings.

1. Open the Phone app and click on the three-dot menu
  2. Go to Settings and tap Auto Reject List
  3. Remove the numbers you don’t really on the list
  4. Go back to Settings and click on the More button
  5. Select Call barring and disable all call barring settings
  6. Return once again to Settings and tap Call forwarding
  7. Select Voice call, and then Always forward
  8. Disable call forwarding
  9. Reboot your phone and check of the problem is gone.

If this issue is affecting a limited number of contacts, check the settings for each contact. Maybe the option to route incoming calls to voicemail is enabled for specific contacts.

Re iPhone, in iOS 13 a new feature called Silence Unknown Callers could mean that all calls from people not in your Contacts will be going straight to voicemail. Check this by opening Settings > Phone and scrolling down to Silence Unknown Callers.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@hance2 wrote:

Some calls from my work go directly to voice mail, they hear no ringing . Not all calls and not from every number. Also if they call again right after  my phone almost always rings.

This has now started happening when some Telus cell users call me.

I have tried...

Turning airplane mode, on rebooting then turn it off and rebooting.

Taking SIM out rebooting, turning off, inserting, rebooting.

Same again but cleaning SIM with alcohol.

Changing ringtone rebooting, blah, blah.

Account is an autopay. 

I never had this problem with Telus using same phone in same area.

@hance2  something weird is happening. And you seemed to do some good trouble shooting.

Especially weird because the caller who just called goes to voicemail then tries again and calls come through.

Also, because you are noticing this is recently new. Was it since you plan renewed? or before that?

If further trouble shooting is not improving anything, I would have Moderators check the provisioning on the account, if it was me.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Faster Method - Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 – Slower Method - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)f

@hance2 

Have you checked your call settings? Each of the contacts that go straight to voicemail have you checked f they are blocked?

Can you try forcing your phone onto the 3G network only and see if this changes those contacts from going to vm?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@hance2 wrote:

Also this account if fairly new but I  had many months of normal performance until  i noticed the problem.

It started in mid February.

@hance2    I don't know  why this is happening, but some earlier suggestions have included making sure you don't have DND enabled or perhaps removing those contact numbers and then re-entering them and another reboot of the phone?

Edit:  So are you on the $15 plan?  

hance2

Also this account if fairly new but I  had many months of normal performance until  i noticed the problem.

It started in mid February.

Need Help? Let's chat.