cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So Who is getting new Iphone X?

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I will be upgrading since I am still on iphone 6. Prices will be expensive but it helps our plans are quite cheap. 

34 REPLIES 34

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darjman fair point.  Looking at the OnePlus 5 reveals a similar disparity based on the current rate of around $1.26 CDN to $1 USD:

- Base phone with 64GB storage and 6GB of RAM:

- $480 USD = approx $604.80 Canadian, yet the Canadian store retails for $650 CDN, a diff of about $45 Canadian.

- Upgraded phone with 128GB storage and 8GB RAM:

- $530 USD = approx $667.80 Canadian, yet the Canadian store retails for $720 CDN, a diff of about $52 Canadian.

As understandable as the practice is, and it keep them from needing to constantly revise the Canadian pricing as the exchange rate changes, it's disheartening knowing you're paying more. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

darjman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

No one is getting "hossed."

It's called hedging. 

Apple has hedged the exchange rate between CAD and USD. AKA, they have locked in a price so they don't take a loss IF the CADxUSD rate rises.

Almost any business/company does this if they are selling in other markets, not in their own. Samsung does the same.

shawnie_boy

I wonder if public mobile text will fit beside the notch. Carrier is present on lock screen. 

Grampa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It all depends. For some people $1000 is affordable, and most people save money where they can so that they can spend money on the luxury of their choice, like a phone for some people. It is a product that many people use alot and every day, so why not have a good one?

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@xCameron94x,

Makes sense. I am curious to know how much the carriers make? Is it true that they don't make money on the phones?

@Michael77 wrote:

I wonder why cell phone prices are so expensive?   

Business. It probably costs apple a few hundred dollars to make an iPhone. So their profit margins are insane. They want to make as much money as possible, and they know people will buy them anyway, so why not charge more 

Michael77

I wonder why cell phone prices are so expensive?   

Garry

$1000 for any phone today is insane. 

The difference now between a $360 phone and a $1000 phone is so neglegable that I'm surprised consumers still fall for the hype. I guess the old saying still applies.....

Fools and their money are easily parted.

--Sent from an LG G5

shawnie_boy

@stonechucker wrote:

The price Apple is charging Canadians, $929 for the iPhone 8 base model, is more than the converted $699 US price tag.  Converted 30 minutes ago, it should be $850 Canadian.

Folks who buy this will be getting 'hosed'.

Samsung doing same thing. They are all using old exchange rates. 

Holy cow, look how much attention is given to Apple. MobileSyrup for example, entire first page is covered with Apple's announcements. I am sure other sites probably doing the same. I don't see this when Samsung or Google or LG announces new phones. They can easily put them together and let us Android fans browse something else 😛

The price Apple is charging Canadians, $929 for the iPhone 8 base model, is more than the converted $699 US price tag.  Converted 30 minutes ago, it should be $850 Canadian.

Folks who buy this will be getting 'hosed'.

mimmo

@Mana going to stick with my moto play. Loving the battery life.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo if you can get a hold of a cheap Google phone like nexus 5 or up, please give the Google caller id a try. You would love it. 

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Is it just an Apple thing they really don't seem to release full specs on announcement date...surely someone must know battery capacity and RAM size specifically iPhone 8/8+ models?

srlawren

@imm1304 if I wanted to drop $1000 on a phone I'd probably wait a couple of weeks and pick up an LG V30.  That thing is pretty wicked.  I could buy one, but I don't think I can justify it to myself.  Instead I suspect I'll end up ordering a OnePlus 5 in the next month or so, to replace my now OnePlus 3.  It may be OnePlus' most expensive phone so far, but it's still well south of S8/S8+/G6 (ignoring Koodo's current sale, for example)/V30/iPhone 8/iPhone X, etc.  Granted, with some compromises, but I'm fine with almost all of them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Still can't justify paying $1000+ for a phone. Also feel more in control of my Andorid phone with more options to customize and use custom roms.    

mimmo

@Mana using a moto z play.  Do I don't think I have that feature. 😞

I guess that is the problem with android so many different versions all a little different. With apple it's all the same.

Wireless charging now, really? No headphone jack, period. Still no freedom.

Well, i will stick to Android. 

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@mimmo what phone do you have?

I don't think Samsung and all Android phone have the Google caller ID.  Only Google phones such as Nexus series and I believe now Pixel series has it.  I don't think there is a separate app for that.

I think its enabled by default.  But if you can't find it, please let me know, I can search.

mimmo

@Mana how do you enable Google caller id? Or is it only some phones or an app?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@shawnie_boy I'm planning to buy it in 2022 from Orchard!  https://www.getorchard.com?afmc=2zl Robot LOL

Can't afford it this year as Ralph's stuffing is falling out. 😢

RalphRalph

I'm just making do until I can get him cloned from the DNA buried deep in his bones.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

Google caller ID feature on the google phones is pretty cool.

It shows you name and caller ID of the caller when the call comes in and if its a spam call, you will be able to tell before answering the phone.

It also allows you to mark the call as spam and block the number.

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

S8 Plus Cat Indifferent

Michael77

I like Android phones.  🙂

Michael77

I like Android.  🙂

mimmo

Just bought a used moto z play for 275. Loving the 2 day battery. No iPhone e for me. Mindyou some of the new androids are running 1000$+ if I remember correctly.  Lots I can put that  $$$ towards, including a short vacation with with wifey. 

srlawren

Count me in!  ..... on the team that in absolutely no way will be buying an iPhone X. Robot LOL Or in fact, anything iPhone!  🙂  

@xCameron94x, you remembered correctly.  Nexus 5, rooted with Marshmallow.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

My phone regardless of type can't get me to work in the morning.  So, I think I will settle for a car.  That means I am not getting the new iPhone.

Gone are the days are paying $1000 for a phone. Most expensive phone i bought was a $600 iPhone 6. Still too expensive to this day. 

As one youtuber I sometimes watch says. "Cheap phones are getting good. And good phones are getting cheap". 

The fact that my nexus 5 can still run, @stonechucker can also input on this ( I think i read you have a Nexus 5). As a 4 old phone, and for $350 unlocked at the time, proves that you do not need a $1000 phone

Need Help? Let's chat.