cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So I got curious today re network bands

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I checked how much longer wcdma will be available. It's far away but also not *that* far. Shutdown seems planned for the end of 2025

Screenshot_20210730-184334.png

I wonder if lte reception/signal will be better by then? Granted I'm on the ground floor of a building, but for some reason I average better wcdma reception, even though I think it's from the same tower... I tried a repeater, but since I couldn't install on the roof it didn't make enough difference to bother keeping. Just slightly nervous about by then, the weaker reception will kill my battery and ultimately my device faster due to the poorer quality signal most of the time. Unless the absence of 3g will help the 4g be stronger? 

Not a super huge deal yet obviously lol, but just got curious

4 REPLIES 4

I doubt there's any need to retire legacy protocols until ...

... it's cheaper to build/license phones without legacy hardware,

... it's cheaper to build/license/operate networks without legacy hardware,

... the legacy protocols are consuming spectrum which is needed/wanted on newer protocols.

It turns out that phones cost the manufacturers about the same to build whether or not they include earlier generations of communications. Datasheets for all the latest-and-greatest SoCs still support 2G and 3G protocols. For maximum compatibility, maximum redundancy, maximum feature support - the chip manufacturer always puts it all there, even if the device manufacturer, the network, and the end-user never use it. 

And if the frequencies/bands are the same then the radio hardware (physical antenna components, etc) are also the same, meaning they also cost no more and no less.

I expect the network-side machinery will basically cost the same for the same reasons. The main difference being spectrum licensing costs and other forms of CRTC interference.

They won't fully retire 3G until they can repurpose the bandwidth/resources into higher profits through 4G/5G/etc. Another way of saying it: 3G won't be retired until something newer and better is fully ready to replace it. And when that happens it won't be a surprise, the brands will set the groundwork for hyping and selling the latest fashion, their marketing frogs will make absolutely sure that it's impossible for any consumer to remain uninformed.

Faster-than-3G has already been available for years. And yet there still aren't enough consumers using faster-than-3G to justify repurposing it. Consumers can upgrade to the fastest possible tech within one paycheque. Networks can upgrade to the fastest possible tech only by upgrading their exchanges and datacenters and landlines at every cell site, big costs which require big subscription revenues to support.

2025 might be a target, but I have a feeling it'll be pushed back by a few years as we get closer to that date. And yes, LTE cell edge performance is better than 3G. LTE B12 is also at a lower frequency than 3G B5, so the propagation should be slightly better.

@Pawprints1986 wrote:

I checked how much longer wcdma will be available. It's far away but also not *that* far. Shutdown seems planned for the end of 2025

Screenshot_20210730-184334.png

I wonder if lte reception/signal will be better by then? Granted I'm on the ground floor of a building, but for some reason I average better wcdma reception, even though I think it's from the same tower... I tried a repeater, but since I couldn't install on the roof it didn't make enough difference to bother keeping. Just slightly nervous about by then, the weaker reception will kill my battery and ultimately my device faster due to the poorer quality signal most of the time. Unless the absence of 3g will help the 4g be stronger? 

In theory, LTE could provide better signal.  Not only does it seem to work better in some fringe coverages areas, LTE also has a lowee frequency range available than is being used for the HSPA network. I believe that @sheytoon  could probably explain this better than I can.

For most Public Mobile customers, I'd say the main concern would be the current lack of VoLTE service.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Believe the 3G network frequencies (850/1900) will still be active just not for wcdma rather, presumably, LTE or 5G. It will also mean moving calls to VoLTE or VOIP. 

Need Help? Let's chat.