cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sim card not supported

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Sim Card. I currently use an iPhone 5s but am switching to a 6s, both of which phones are unlocked. The 6s was used with public mobile as well. But when I put my Sim Card into the 6s, it keeps saying it's not compatible which is strange since it was used on a public mobile network. The previous owner of the 6s had no problem switching their sim card and it was able to read immediately. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me? Is this a public mobile issue, because the message says it isn't a hardware issue with the phone. Please help me out I'm so frustrated. 😞 

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Sim card not supported

@sophianeacsu wrote:

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Sim Card. I currently use an iPhone 5s but am switching to a 6s, both of which phones are unlocked. The 6s was used with public mobile as well. But when I put my Sim Card into the 6s, it keeps saying it's not compatible which is strange since it was used on a public mobile network. The previous owner of the 6s had no problem switching their sim card and it was able to read immediately. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this isn't working for me? Is this a public mobile issue, because the message says it isn't a hardware issue with the phone. Please help me out I'm so frustrated. 😞 

Do you know the previous owner? Is it a friend or someone on kijiji? Did you actually see the previous owner use a public mobile sim card? Please give more details on how and where you purchased the phone. It is always possible for a 2nd hand phone to be reported as lost / stolen / locked right after you purchase it from a 3rd party / not official source.

I would try cleaning the sim card / re inserting a few times, and try to put the other public mobile sim in again. 

If your sim works in your other iphone 5 you know the sim and service is good. I know you say the 6S is unlocked, but thats what happens when the phone is locked.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@sophianeacsuSince you just got the phone and you have no data on it, do a factory reset. This may clear up the issue if its actually unlocked.

When the phone first turns on does it have a Rogers or Bell, etc logo?

Highlighted

Check your IMEI number at site like https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ and see if your phone is reported stolen/lost. It's quite possible the person who sold it to you wasn't actually the true owner of the phone. Does your SIM still work fine in your 5s? If it does it leads me to believe that it is either locked to a network, blacklisted, or the 6s is damaged.

Highlighted
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, when you have your working PM sim card installed in your new Iphone what comes up on the home screen emerency call only or Public Mobile?

Highlighted

The phone is neither blacklisted or stolen, the previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple. The phone is unlocked and she was previously using Public Moblie as well but cancled her plan and switched to a different provider on a different phone. I have reset the phone back to factory mode and tried taking out/inserting my sim from my 5s into the 6s multiple times but it keeps saying that the sim card is not supported.

Highlighted

I have reset it to factory mode and the phone is unlocked, it isn't connected to any proivders. It says "no sim" in the top corner. 

Highlighted

The previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple so it is neither blacklisted or stolen. My sim card works fine in my 5s but once I insert into the 6s it says "sim card not supported", i've tried taking it out and re-inserting multiple times. The phone is also in good shape and has no damage. It's still functional when connected to wifi but it just won't accept my sim card. My spouse was also with public mobile but cancled her plan since she swithced phones and went with a different provider.

Highlighted

@sophianeacsu wrote:

The phone is neither blacklisted or stolen, the previous owner is my spouse who outright bought the phone from Apple. The phone is unlocked and she was previously using Public Moblie as well but cancled her plan and switched to a different provider on a different phone. I have reset the phone back to factory mode and tried taking out/inserting my sim from my 5s multiple times but it keeps saying that the sim card is not supported.

Under the "sim card is not supported" does it say

"

The sim card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by yourcarrie. Please contact Apple for more information. "

?

Highlighted

Yes, that is the exact message that keeps popping up! I tried re-inserting but I still get the same message.