cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim card fail

Robert5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, my sim card has failed, suddenly just stopped, and all i get is 'no signal'. I have powered my iphone off and on, and done all that stuff - etc - and then confirmed the sim doesn't work in another working phone.

If I buy a new sim card - does it recognize my current tel number? What is the best way to fix this?
Advice appreciated,

Rob

8 REPLIES 8

@IGotSimJacked wrote:

I don't have intermittent access, I just try to relog into my account every once in a while. I have done everything as suggested by the dedicated Sim Swapping information page. But even after changing my login credentials my password still got changed by the attackers. 

No doubt it is easier to just buy a new sim card and start over but there are uncertainties as to whether my entire account is compromised. A compromised account will just result in repeated attacks even after a new Sim card.

Get a dedicated gmail account for Public Mobile. Make it generic like zxx123xxz@gmail.com. Ask the moderators to change your self service username to the new one.

IGotSimJacked
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I don't have intermittent access, I just try to relog into my account every once in a while. I have done everything as suggested by the dedicated Sim Swapping information page. But even after changing my login credentials my password still got changed by the attackers. 

No doubt it is easier to just buy a new sim card and start over but there are uncertainties as to whether my entire account is compromised. A compromised account will just result in repeated attacks even after a new Sim card.

@esjliv wrote:

@Robert5 wrote:

Hi, my sim card has failed, suddenly just stopped, and all i get is 'no signal'. I have powered my iphone off and on, and done all that stuff - etc - and then confirmed the sim doesn't work in another working phone.

If I buy a new sim card - does it recognize my current tel number? What is the best way to fix this?
Advice appreciated,

Rob

@Robert5 , if you obtain another SIM card and change it through your SELF SERVE account it would still be connected to the same phone number.

BUT - please follow @JK8 post/instructions first. You probably do not need to obtain a new SIM if the Moderators can reinstate yours.

Good Luck!

Unless moderator response times have improved, it's likely much quicker to buy a SIM locally and change it in self serve.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@IGotSimJacked  How do you have intermittent access to your account? Next time you have access to your account, immeditaley change the password and suspend service under Lost/Stolen phone. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

IGotSimJacked
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It seems that you have been sim jacked.

Make sure you contact your banking services that are linked to your phone number ASAP! And check over account activities with a fine-tooth comb

I am also a victim and have been attempting to get in contact with the Mods to resolve this since yesterday. So far they have not done anything of help to resecure my account and the 'fraudsters' still have full autonomy over my public mobile account (I get locked out of my account on a consistent basis now). 

Best of luck

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Robert5 

Hope you followed advice to confirm SIM number in phone matches SIM number registered on self-serve for your account.

What you describe certainly sounds like a SIM swapping issue, and it's important this get's addressed with not only Public Mobile, but moreso with any financial accounts which may be tied to your registered phone number which may utilize two-factor authentication.

This is because if you were SIM swapped, meaning THEY have access to incoming texts and calls using YOUR phone number, all the hacker has to do is attempt login to your financials and they can use forget password functions to get the provider to text them a 2FA code to reset your password - presto, they're into your financial accounts.

Hopefully you've taken measures mentioned.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Robert5 wrote:

Advice appreciated,

Rob

@Robert5 , if you obtain another SIM card and change it through your SELF SERVE account it would still be connected to the same phone number.

BUT - please follow @JK8 post/instructions first. You probably do not need to obtain a new SIM if the Moderators can reinstate yours.

Good Luck!

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Robert5 

Make sure you have not been sim jacked:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

Log into self service and choose Change Sim Card. Compare the last 4 numbers to the sim in your phone to make sure you have not been sim jacked.

If they do not match put your phone in lost/stolen mode in self service and change the password. Secure and check all your financial accounts and change passwords including email accounts etc.

Contact a moderator to restore your services.

(2nd option below is easiest)

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.
Need Help? Let's chat.