cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Comes & Goes

lfaber
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My wife and I are both on PM. As of this week, our signal at home comes and goes. Currently at 0 bars. 

Is there any way to troubleshoot this issue? 

14 REPLIES 14

@lfaber  It never hurts to put your phone in airplane mode. Wait 5 min. Take it out of airplane mode. This method disconnects your phone from the network and will often give you a stronger connection when it reconnects.

Stronger signal outdoors. Stronger signal at elevation. Stronger signal in clear spaces.

Get away from metal and concrete, if you can. And get away from active power sources, power transmission lines/towers, utility transformer boxes/poles, ham radio antennae, microwave ovens.

It sounds strange and looms ghetto and doesn't really work too well, but sometimes (sometimes) you can put your device into a metal bowl oriented like a crude parabolic radio dish to amplify transmission and reception range.

Probably a service outage, local base station is offline or unable to support increased demand. If so, the things you can do are move i to the range of other network equipment or wait out the failure.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@lfaber Try turning LTE OFF, which will force the phones to use the 3G network. It helps where I live; also using iPhones.

Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data Options >> Enable LTE: toggle OFF

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lfaber 

Will the signal come back when go out with your phone at your front yard?

lfaber

Yes and no. 

we e always had a great signal. 

🙄

@lfaber wrote:

iPhones 10 & 11

odd thing is my neighbour is on Koodo. She dropped by (2 meters apart). Her phone gets 3-4 bars. 

I was wondering if there was some kind of throttling going on. 

@lfaber  First, kudos for social distancing 👍 does your neighbor also have an iPhone 10 or 11? If yes, make sure you both have the same network settings. Also make sure you have the latest carrier updates installed on your phones.

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Are you both inside? Are you under metal roof? 

@lfaber wrote:

iPhones 10 & 11

odd thing is my neighbour is on Koodo. She dropped by (2 meters apart). Her phone gets 3-4 bars. 

Aside from service or no service causing no bars to show up, there isn't anything that can make better or weaker signals to be received by customers of different brands using the same network.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lfaber PM or Telus dosent throttle coverage thats juts not a thing. I would walk down the street and see what your signal is. If it gets better than something is wrong with the towers and i would call someone. Its pretty rare for that to happen.

@lfaber wrote:

My wife and I are both on PM. As of this week, our signal at home comes and goes. Currently at 0 bars. 

Unless you've made some identical changes to the settings of both phone devices, it's unlikely that both are having an issue of some type that you'd be able to troubleshoot. It's not impossible for something still to be wrong on your end but it's unlikely because you're having difficulties with both.

One thing you can try is is checking your signal when you're in different places. That doesn't mean that things haven't suddenly got worse for you, but it will let you know if this is something widespread or if it's just where you currently are.

If you have other compatible devices, it wouldn't hurt to make some comparisons as some have slight better signal properties than others.

lfaber

iPhones 10 & 11

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

PM uses Bell and Telus towers.  You can check to see where the nearest towers are.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Try rebooting your phone.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lfaber wrote:

@lfaber  What type of phone do you have? Can you turn off Wi-FI and test, calling, texting and data. 

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@lfaber I would check the Telus outage map. When you first joined PM did this happen at all? also what carrier were you with before? Did they have constant signal drop in your area? Here is the outage map. I would also try rebooting your and your wives phone but i am sure you have already did that. This could be a problem in your area with one of the towers. I would call Telus and explain

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/outages

Need Help? Let's chat.