cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orenfr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Re: Showing daily data usage between 12-2 despite phones not connected

Hi @esjliv - I really appreciate the response and the effort.  But... I’m not new at this (only new at posting on the Community, never had a need before).

- no new phone
- auto app update disabled (iOS)

- app d/l on cellular disabled 

- wifi assist disabled

- no change in usage patterns

- mesh home network (ASUS ZenWifi AX) providing industrial strength wifi

- no issue whatsoever until a couple of months ago

I’m using airplane mode + turning wifi on to avoid a theoretical scenario where a Personal Hotspot request from another device somehow turns on cellular data on the iPhone.  Also wanted to eliminate ANY possibility of data usage — and yet I’m showing a nominal 3-5mb of data usage - which is... odd.

The device burned through gigs of data in a matter of days, logging +900mb on some days —- that used to me the monthly amount previously.

ANYHOW, thank you for trying to help.  This is now with the moderators.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr 

You are getting the standard " you've used all your data" response from the regulars as is often the same response from the moderators. I believe its a new glitch so stick to your guns when you speak to the moderators.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr wrote:

Hi @esjliv - I really appreciate the response and the effort.  But... I’m not new at this (only new at posting on the Community, never had a need before).

- no new phone
- auto app update disabled (iOS)

- app d/l on cellular disabled 

- wifi assist disabled

- no change in usage patterns

- mesh home network (ASUS ZenWifi AX) providing industrial strength wifi

- no issue whatsoever until a couple of months ago

I’m using airplane mode + turning wifi on to avoid a theoretical scenario where a Personal Hotspot request from another device somehow turns on cellular data on the iPhone.  Also wanted to eliminate ANY possibility of data usage — and yet I’m showing a nominal 3-5mb of data usage - which is... odd.

The device burned through gigs of data in a matter of days, logging +900mb on some days —- that used to me the monthly amount previously.

ANYHOW, thank you for trying to help.  This is now with the moderators.

@Orenfr ,

If you are talking about that 3-5mb that fluctuates daily on your account, that happens to us all. If should reset itself overnight, I believe.

Ensure the Moderators show you the proof of where this data is being used.

'Show Me the Money' Moderators! ...I mean Data.

I know they will just show you the time, date and how much was used (which is available in your View Usage area from your Self Serve); but if it does not seem right to you then I hope something is found out!

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr too many variables with not enough info...

what does the data tracker on your iPhone say? what app/s have the most data usage in the last 3 months? 

call 611 press 3 and let us know how much data is remaining on the account

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr : disclaimer: not an Apple guy. I ddg'd "iphone turning cellular data on its own" and found some Apple forum threads. Possibly an app, possibly a factory reset, possibly doing that and setting it up as a new phone.

The many hundreds of megs: is that over time or one night? You've already had a reply about the usage details reporting times so there's no real way to nail down a specific time.

The 3-5 megs: When cellular data is turned on, the system takes a 5.293MB sliding window buffer. The phone will also do whatever other sync-ing it needs. You can see that buffer on the overview page counter by doing the following:

1. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

2. turn off cellular data

3. turn on airplane mode

4. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

5. turn off airplane mode

6. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

7. turn on cellular data

8. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

9. turn off cellular data

10. turn on airplane mode

11. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

Apparently the problem you might be having has been known to happen with iphone's. I know you said you had no interest in doing "forensics" but sometimes you gotta look at possibilities.

Need Help? Let's chat.