cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing daily data usage between 12-2 despite phones not connected

Orenfr
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, on two Public Mobile devices I'm showing the same issues:

* on the usage report, every day, between 12-2 (no idea if this is PM/AM or what time zone), there are data events -- from 4mb to hundreds of mb.  EVERY DAY (not at the exact same time).
* i'm still showing these even after i put one of the devices on Airplane mode.

* phone usage on the device does not come close to these figures.

* phones are 99% of the time connected to stable wifi.

* "wifi assist" is turned off.

* auto app updates turned off.  App update on cellular - turned off.

* still showing data usage even in airplane mode.

Noticed this when I received a 75% used alert swiftly followed by a 95% use message.  
Have been a Public customer on the same plans for several years --- never got close to using the data on either plan.  Can you check your usage reports and see if you see something similar?  HELP?

18 REPLIES 18

wrightm29

Ok, thanks.  It is only from 5Mb - 30ishMb but it seems to only happen shortly after midnight each day when I look at the usage history.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wrightm29 wrote:

Did they ever come up with a solution?  I have the same thing going on right now.

@wrightm29 

is take 24hr to showing in your history account,

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data...

and turn off background data, to save your data.

when your data limit used all, is will be off until next renewal cycle,

at public mobile 30 day Prepaid Service No fees extra charges,

@wrightm29 wrote:

Did they ever come up with a solution?  I have the same thing going on right now.

@wrightm29 

Data usage populates on the usage history tab twice daily, between 12-2'ish each time.  It takes into account any data consumed in the prior 12-hour (or so) period.

Data counter on your account self-serve overview home page displays fairly instantly after being consumed.

wrightm29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Orenfr : disclaimer: not an Apple guy. I ddg'd "iphone turning cellular data on its own" and found some Apple forum threads. Possibly an app, possibly a factory reset, possibly doing that and setting it up as a new phone.

The many hundreds of megs: is that over time or one night? You've already had a reply about the usage details reporting times so there's no real way to nail down a specific time.

The 3-5 megs: When cellular data is turned on, the system takes a 5.293MB sliding window buffer. The phone will also do whatever other sync-ing it needs. You can see that buffer on the overview page counter by doing the following:

1. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

2. turn off cellular data

3. turn on airplane mode

4. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

5. turn off airplane mode

6. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

7. turn on cellular data

8. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

9. turn off cellular data

10. turn on airplane mode

11. refresh and take note of the overview page counter

Apparently the problem you might be having has been known to happen with iphone's. I know you said you had no interest in doing "forensics" but sometimes you gotta look at possibilities.

@Orenfr too many variables with not enough info...

what does the data tracker on your iPhone say? what app/s have the most data usage in the last 3 months? 

call 611 press 3 and let us know how much data is remaining on the account

@Orenfr wrote:

Hi @esjliv - I really appreciate the response and the effort.  But... I’m not new at this (only new at posting on the Community, never had a need before).

- no new phone
- auto app update disabled (iOS)

- app d/l on cellular disabled 

- wifi assist disabled

- no change in usage patterns

- mesh home network (ASUS ZenWifi AX) providing industrial strength wifi

- no issue whatsoever until a couple of months ago

I’m using airplane mode + turning wifi on to avoid a theoretical scenario where a Personal Hotspot request from another device somehow turns on cellular data on the iPhone.  Also wanted to eliminate ANY possibility of data usage — and yet I’m showing a nominal 3-5mb of data usage - which is... odd.

The device burned through gigs of data in a matter of days, logging +900mb on some days —- that used to me the monthly amount previously.

ANYHOW, thank you for trying to help.  This is now with the moderators.

@Orenfr ,

If you are talking about that 3-5mb that fluctuates daily on your account, that happens to us all. If should reset itself overnight, I believe.

Ensure the Moderators show you the proof of where this data is being used.

'Show Me the Money' Moderators! ...I mean Data.

I know they will just show you the time, date and how much was used (which is available in your View Usage area from your Self Serve); but if it does not seem right to you then I hope something is found out!

@Orenfr 

You are getting the standard " you've used all your data" response from the regulars as is often the same response from the moderators. I believe its a new glitch so stick to your guns when you speak to the moderators.

Orenfr

Hi @esjliv - I really appreciate the response and the effort.  But... I’m not new at this (only new at posting on the Community, never had a need before).

- no new phone
- auto app update disabled (iOS)

- app d/l on cellular disabled 

- wifi assist disabled

- no change in usage patterns

- mesh home network (ASUS ZenWifi AX) providing industrial strength wifi

- no issue whatsoever until a couple of months ago

I’m using airplane mode + turning wifi on to avoid a theoretical scenario where a Personal Hotspot request from another device somehow turns on cellular data on the iPhone.  Also wanted to eliminate ANY possibility of data usage — and yet I’m showing a nominal 3-5mb of data usage - which is... odd.

The device burned through gigs of data in a matter of days, logging +900mb on some days —- that used to me the monthly amount previously.

ANYHOW, thank you for trying to help.  This is now with the moderators.

@Orenfr wrote:

@gpixel just to clarify - this isn’t my first rodeo - but it is my first time of running out of data /w Public Mobile.

I’ve been a customer since almost the very beginning - I’m on a grandfathered LTE 12GB for 3 months plan.  I had never —- ever —- in all the years — even come close to consuming 12GB in 3 months. 

So yes, I’m somewhat surprised - and concerned - when this happens on days when I know (a) the device had never left my home and (b) with my mesh network, there is no way it was connected to cellular and (c) my device’s records don’t indicate such a huge amount of cellular data.  Just saying.

I do agree that the right move is probably to ditch ship — no point in having a good plan if I have to keep my phone on airplane mode...

@Orenfr 

Have you recently changed phones?

Sometimes having a new phone can use up different resources with certain defaults set up that you did not even realize was set up.

You are mentioning Airplane Mode. But you do not need to go into Airplane Mode to disable your Data.

There is a Data TOGGLE or On/Off option that you should have, just use that.

If you go into Airplane Mode you lose calling and texting abilities as well.

Some tips and helpful info. on data:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

@Orenfr 

At least for me, I turn off Data when I am home.. just in case.  I don't mind doing a bit more to make sure I won't got robbed.  🙂

I guess for safety, try to change the setting on Netflix or our other movie app to make sure it only download on Wifi.  

Orenfr

@gpixel just to clarify - this isn’t my first rodeo - but it is my first time of running out of data /w Public Mobile.

I’ve been a customer since almost the very beginning - I’m on a grandfathered LTE 12GB for 3 months plan.  I had never —- ever —- in all the years — even come close to consuming 12GB in 3 months. 

So yes, I’m somewhat surprised - and concerned - when this happens on days when I know (a) the device had never left my home and (b) with my mesh network, there is no way it was connected to cellular and (c) my device’s records don’t indicate such a huge amount of cellular data.  Just saying.

I do agree that the right move is probably to ditch ship — no point in having a good plan if I have to keep my phone on airplane mode...

For data tracking on the phone, if you are on Android , try "Data Counter widget", it is free and can set 30 days schedule.  With the widget, you can see your data usage quickly

And yes, for me, I try to turn off Data when I am home, just in case.  These days, many phones have feature to jump back to data if wifi is unstable (e.g, Samsung Smart Network Switching, I called it Smart Data Robbery)  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr just because you're on wifi doesn't mean your wifi signal can't lost connection. first thing to do is choose one or the other. don't leave both wifi and mobile data enabled. if you lost connection to wifi, it will then fall back to your mobile data.

if you don't want to do the extra work and manage your account, then I believe you and you should look for a different provider.. maybe Koodo, virgin or fido

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Orenfr 

Sounds like you're experiencing 2 separate issues:

1. The data displaying on the PM's website is more than you feel it should be, and
  2. The data is showing at a time when you feel it's not being utilized.

Re #1, you may wish to invest in a data tracker to better track your data usage as opposed to using your device's own data counter.  One thing you can do is reset data counter to ZERO on the morning of your public mobile cycle renewal, then you can visualize the data being consumed daily against your total cycle's allotment.

Re#2, the 12-2 time period is similar to the users in our household.   Their data usage populates on the usage history during that timeframe EVERY night as the last line entry of the day, before the next day's line entry of calling or texting events.   Far as I understand, this is consistent across the board as well during the midday period as well.  (as @darlicious indicates)   

@Orenfr 

You have done the correct thing....contacting the moderators. Be prepared to send screenshots of your phones usage meter, app usage etc....You are the third customer who diligently tracks their usage that has complained of this issue in the last week. Was any of this usage add on data? I highly suspect there is a new glitch afoot affecting data usage. The first customer to complain of this problem had their data add on credited back to their account with very little pushback by the moderator. ( This usually isn't the case....)

BTW...pm updates data usage twice daily in 12 hour blocks  This is why you are seeing it reported this way in your daily usage logs.

Orenfr

At this point I submitted a ticket /w details.  If I don’t hear back I’ll just move to a different provider - I shouldn’t be playing forensic accounting.

Just wondering if anyone else is showing _consistent_ _daily_ data usage between 12-2 (again, no idea if this AM/PM or what time zone, since the usage report doesn’t indicate anything).

Thanks for replying!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Orenfr are you able to compare the usage reported in the self serve account against the usage shown in your phone?  The usage meter is legal tender so to speak.  I am not what can be done otherwise.  

Need Help? Let's chat.