cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I stay or go?

Mreekster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wireless-cellphone-fees-1.5484080?fbclid=IwAR3E5RxGYtLSfYg6nsu5_CSV...
already another competitor sub brand has complied with the new rules. Guess what?  They have 4gLTE too. $45 6gb. I can't wait much longer 

20 REPLIES 20

Felixbthe1
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I enjoy saving money and being rewarded financially by a company, like when does that ever happen? :catwink:

Sarlye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Mreekster wrote:

One other thing is NO wifi calling on public mobile. They turned off the switch. No service in my friends condo and up the cabin where I have internet. It is a safety thing for me and should be for others. The other low tier  provider has wifi calling

@Mreekster There are Wifi calling from FBMessenger, WhatsApp, and even from Google and FaceTime. As long as you have Wifi, you can call from the lists. I have tested them all.

I have one of my spare phone with just 50 minutes at my friends cabin and all I had to to was connect to the internet, and I can call from WhatsApp, FBMessenger. So there is peace of mind, and I have not had any issues.

if you are hiking, there is no radio signal anyway at most mountains, then best to have sat phone or shortwave radio for contact in case of emergency. 

Those of us who moved to PM is very enthusiastic about the service and the community but sounds like you already know what you want. Good Luck to you!

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

We don't know how this ruling will apply to Public Mobile.

They can wait for the two years If they want to, the ruling probably hasn't even been enacted yet.

I still want to know what the bench mark starting date for the 25% reduction is/was. Prices have already dropped about 25% in the last two years and some of that might be inside this current two year window,

AE_Collector

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It sounds like you have already made up yur mind

Sarlye

@darlicious wrote:

@Sarlye  Put prices and rewards to the side and look at the service value public mobile offers. When you first join you get the impression there is no customer service at all. Your forced onto the community and to message moderators that might take 48 hours to respond. But you soon learn (and you will learn....a lot) that community can answer most of your questions. In a much shorter amount of time than picking up the phone to call customer service somewhere else. Most issues that require a moderator are not urgent so your not wasting time on the phone to get them fixed. Most of the time urgent issues can get take in care of in a few hours...So maybe an hour longer than on the phone......but you're also not tied to that phone. You can continue to work, take care of the kids, drive home or many other things that you can't do while you are on the phone....waiting.

The odd time someone falls thru the cracks and doesn't get the service they deserve but that happens everywhere. I can tell you this.....other CS agents have never thanked me for helping out, other management haven't reached out to implement an idea or find a fix for a problem that only affects my account. The head of the company doesn't reach out and tell us what their plans are for the future and ask customers for their input. Or really listen to your opinions and give you a free 1gb of data for listening to you...really listening to you.

And I did something today I have never said with the four other mobility providers I have dealt with in the past......said "I love my mobile phone company!" and more than once too. I have never felt more appreciated or valued as a customer by any company I pay to provide me with a service. That is priceless in my mind.....along with the affordable plans, rewards and accessibility to anyone of any income level.

@darlicious @I think the comments to me is for the OP @Mreekster  😂 I am already a convert..🤗

Mreekster

One other thing is NO wifi calling on public mobile. They turned off the switch. No service in my friends condo and up the cabin where I have internet. It is a safety thing for me and should be for others. The other low tier  provider has wifi calling

Mreekster

Well it is only 4.5gb for $40, not 5gb on PM for one thing. Second is you don't have to sign up and in six months you get ten percent off via loyalty. But my point is that it is mandatory , so when is public mobile gonna match? Wait the two years? One other thing is some people seem to think tha PM is a small independent. It is a Telus subsidiary. 

I checked first...we are still in "discussions", not "the lounge" so it's just my phones that are like a Magnet to Steel -> to the Lounge. Hmm, Magnet and Steel.. forgot about that moldy oldie!

Phone is a Northern Electric (Canada) or Western Electric (USA) model 500.

I think too many people are unable to do proper evaluations of "value" versus "cost" these days. Thus all the First month free or First 6 months at this price (in large print) and finding the real ongoing price can be difficult to impossible. 

AE_Collector

zblackma

Ultimately, its up to you @Mreekster, if you feel that the plan offered elsewhere is a better deal for you, then go. But @mpcdesign does make some valid points in defence of the PM pricepoints and savings. Either way good luck.

@mpcdesign  Nice phone......but don't let @AE_Collector bring the big boys out as you will have a very small fish in a very big sea.....worse yet this thread might get consigned to the lounge!

@Mreekster   Put prices and rewards to the side and look at the service value public mobile offers. When you first join you get the impression there is no customer service at all. Your forced onto the community and to message moderators that might take 48 hours to respond. But you soon learn (and you will learn....a lot) that community can answer most of your questions. In a much shorter amount of time than picking up the phone to call customer service somewhere else. Most issues that require a moderator are not urgent so your not wasting time on the phone to get them fixed. Most of the time urgent issues can get take in care of in a few hours...So maybe an hour longer than on the phone......but you're also not tied to that phone. You can continue to work, take care of the kids, drive home or many other things that you can't do while you are on the phone....waiting.

The odd time someone falls thru the cracks and doesn't get the service they deserve but that happens everywhere. I can tell you this.....other CS agents have never thanked me for helping out, other management haven't reached out to implement an idea or find a fix for a problem that only affects my account. The head of the company doesn't reach out and tell us what their plans are for the future and ask customers for their input. Or really listen to your opinions and give you a free 1gb of data for listening to you...really listening to you.

And I did something today I have never said with the four other mobility providers I have dealt with in the past......said "I love my mobile phone company!" and more than once too. I have never felt more appreciated or valued as a customer by any company I pay to provide me with a service. That is priceless in my mind.....along with the affordable plans, rewards and accessibility to anyone of any income level.

Edit: Lol....this is like a deja vu. There's a classic pm glitch in my brain!

@Sarlye and @gblackma, you know, if you have an old rotary or dial phone, you could plug that into a landline, and that would still work if you have a landline active. Granted, I do believe you can still call the operator or 911 if you don't even have an active landline.

Yep, I still own a rotary phone somewhere in my flat!

blackrotaryphone.JPG

Sarlye

@gblackma wrote@Sarlye  a precautionary note, if you have a landline with a different company then, yes bring all your  cells over to PM. If you don't, I would keep  one of them with a Rogers or Bell subsidiary. I once had my tv, internet and land line phone bundled with Rogers and when there was a service interruption, everything cut off. What saved us was  our cells were with Bell and Virgin at that time.

@gblackma Thanks for the thoughtful suggestion. My husband still has his Fido account and his work phone I think is with Rogers. I have a shortwave radio so if there is a big earthquake and all the cell towers are down, I have my radio for communications.. 73

@Mreekster , go, you are getting a great deal.  @Sarlye  a precautionary note, if you have a landline with a different company then, yes bring all your  cells over to PM. If you don't, I would keep  one of them with a Rogers or Bell subsidiary. I once had my tv, internet and land line phone bundled with Rogers and when there was a service interruption, everything cut off. What saved us was  our cells were with Bell and Virgin at that time.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster, Look at the bigger picture. The Liberal government is giving the three big companies up to 2 years to cut their prices up to 25%. 

The price reductions for the three national carriers could look like this:

• 2 GB plans that currently cost $50 would drop to $37.50.

• 4 GB plans that cost $55 would drop to $41.25.

• 6 GB plans that cost $60 would drop to $45.

Which is great. But, if you look at the Public Mobile plans:

• 1.5 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $35
  • 5.0 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $40
  • 8.5 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $50

Minus

• $2.00 per month for AutoPay (super uber easy to accomplish)
  • $1-$5 per month for Loyalty (super uber easy to accomplish)
  • $1 per month for each friend you refer (so-so to accomplish)
  • $1-$20 per month for Community Forum (so-so to accomplish)
  • So far, your rate is cheaper, better than the super 3. 

If you only do the AutoPay, your plan will look like:

• 1.5 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $35-2=$33
  • 5.0 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $40-2=$38
  • 8.5 GB plan (includes 500mb bonus) currently costs $50-2=$48
  • So far, your rate is further reduced, better than the super 3. It becomes even less if you do the latter 3. 

Yes, you don't have dedicated face-2-face customer service if you really want to see them, nor do you get a receipt or invoice for paying your payment. Granted, you can ask a question, and you could have 24/7 community forum assistance from Oracles, Moderators, and the Community. And if you need a receipt, just ask a moderator for assistance, and they will get you one. 

Can't wait? If you want to save money and possibly get more data, it seems obvious, Public Mobile is the way to go. If you want to spend more money for less data and be tied to a contract, I guess you could leave and join the big 3.

4G LTE? I thought I would miss it and stepping down to 3G, but, I really don't see it as a major deal-breaker for me. It may be a deal-breaker for others, but, I was okay with the downgrade. And it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. 

It's a big decision. If you decide to leave for the big 3 again, wait when they have a real big promotion or better yet, when the prices are indeed as low. Again, the Big 3 could start at a 10% reduction and in two years be at a 25% reduction. They don't need to cut the rates just yet to 25% right off the bat. So, I would wait until they have reached the magic number of 25%. And by then, who knows, maybe Public Mobile rates and data speed be better by that time! 

Sarlye
Just like restaurants, all places that serve hamburgers are relatively the same, the difference is the service. Or the environment.

I have been with PM for over 18 months, I have to say, all the answers you normally need to wait to get answered on can be found here.. if not, the moderators do get back to you. You don’t need to stay on the phone for hours to get answers and get frustrated when they don’t solve your problem or billing..etc.

Yes, you can get better and cheaper or more elsewhere but you are tied to a contract most of the time, at PM, if there is a better plan, you can set up to switch right away or for setup for next cycle still keeping the promo.

I have three lines now and when my husband contract is done, we will be switching over.

Good luck to you, hope you stay but you have to go, hope you find what you are looking for.. grass is always greener..

@Mreekster wrote:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wireless-cellphone-fees-1.5484080?fbclid=IwAR3E5RxGYtLSfYg6nsu5_CSV...
already another competitor sub brand has complied with the new rules. Guess what?  They have 4gLTE too. $45 6gb. I can't wait much longer 

@Mreekster wrote:

Different brands will compete with others as necessary. You have to do what is best for you.  Public Mobile still has the unique advantage of rewards. Based on that, Public Mobile doesn't always need to have the best pricing and plans to keep customers. As for attaining new custoemer's that's a bit of a different story.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mreekster wrote:

Are you talking about the company which targets the senior population with a free phone on 2 years contract?  If yes and you do not mind about the 2 years contract, it is up to you.  They charge additional $3/m for call forwarding.  I will not overpay for full LTE speed which I do not need.  PM $38 5GB plan meets my requirement.

sunflowershine

@Mreekster If you find the other company can give you a better deal, you should change. Why not!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mreekster , I have steadfastly maintained that as consumers we should be loyal to our wallets first and everything else a distant second.  If you find savings elsewhere, flee like mice leaving a sinking ship!  That said for many of us, the best value is in staying here.  No other brand offers the same level of rewards.  Long story short, we can all be loyal to our wallets but in different ways.  

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Mreekster wrote:

@Mreekster It is up to you. Each provider has pros and cons. To my mind, PM is good in long term due to its reward system and savings.

Need Help? Let's chat.