cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shady Koodo Marketing

wfitzpatrick
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm all for promotional offers when they're clearly marked as such, but some of the stuff coming from Koodo is downright deceptive.

I've referred a handful of people to Public now, and helped all of them get their accounts set up. Two of them have received identical messages claiming to be from the Koodo rep from a nearby mall who set up their Public Mobile accounts... the accounts that I set up for them online with SIMs I bought at Walmart on the other end of town from that mall. And a third got a voicemail claiming to be from her Koodo rep with a one-day-only special offer.

How is that acceptible? It feels pretty greasy to me, and I'd be shocked if it's not in a grey area regarding marketing practices vis-a-vis the consumer protection act, if not outright violating something.

8 REPLIES 8

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@wfitzpatrick wrote:

@NDesaiI'm not sure, I haven't set foot in that mall in about a decade. It's listed as koodo / telus in the mall directory, so I'm guessing official.

I think a lot of the messages that come from Koodo Reps are the Authorized dealers and not the corporate shops.  There has been a long history of these Reps calling saying PM is shutting down and come over to us we have a great deal for you.

You need to deliver some tough love to these people.  Gotta tell them their hard selling strategy will backfire.  Seriously, why would I waste time traveling across the city to go to a Koodo store when I can walk to the one in the neighborhood.  I know the store manager well.

@wfitzpatrick wrote:

@NDesaiI'm not sure, I haven't set foot in that mall in about a decade. It's listed as koodo / telus in the mall directory, so I'm guessing official.

I think a lot of the messages that come from Koodo Reps are the Authorized dealers and not the corporate shops.  There has been a long history of these Reps calling saying PM is shutting down and come over to us we have a great deal for you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

If these are cold calls from Koodo authorized store reps, that is pretty shady.  I got one from a store some 35 km from my residence. I told him that he's using privileged information from the Public Mobile database.  Moreover, my number is registered in the do not call registry.  I told the agent out right that his store has been placed in my blacklist.  

wfitzpatrick

@wfitzpatrick What store do those rep work at? Is it the official Koodo store or Koodo Authorised dealers?

wfitzpatrick

None of these were specific offers like the texts other folks are getting, the two texts from the "mall rep" just said something along the lines of call me if you have any troubles.

I like the plan offer texts, but these just felt off somehow. There was no interaction with anyone in any stores, so it feels disingenuous for these people to be contacting them as though they had involvement in the process (two of them were my parents, so I'm protective).

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

That is pretty shady! Koodo rep are usually after their commission. They will probably tell you about what Public Mobile does not have, but if you are smart enough, you would walk away and make your own choices. However, if you get koodo offers directly from Public Mobile via text messages, they are legit and pretty decent offers. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@wfitzpatrick Koodo has been making some very attractive offers to move over. So, why not listen to the deal and follow your wallet.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.