Did you mean: 

Service

Joewillier
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Turn off voicemail 

38 REPLIES 38

@HALIMACS wrote:

Re my inquiry, "What is actually happening when that action is taken?"

Was referring to when the *004*8080000000# is used. 

I gather it just disables call forwarding all together?

Using *004 sets all three conditional forwards at the same time, rather than having to set them each individually using *61, *62, and *67. So a quick way to "reset" any conditional call forwarding back to the default public mobile voicemail number is by dialing ##004#. You could also achieve this by dialing each ##61#, ##62#, and ##67#.

@Joewillier 

Hey joe....don't get down on yourself and ignore any jerks out there. Karma will take care of them....or an oracle one of the two.

I'm sorry about your mom. Cherish your time and express your love and be strong i'm sure she wants to know you'll be ok. And you will be it just takes time. If you need to chat you can always private message me. I've been thru similar situations a few times now so I can relate and/or I can just listen.

@Joewillier  

Let's take a step back here and we'll try to help you. We understand you're not computer savvy.  So do us a favor and just stay on this thread. Don't post on other threads. The other day you were posting on multiple threads with simply one or two lines and it was difficult to understand what you were asking.

So first question.

Just write one big message with exactly what the issue is. (Don't write any personal information as this forum is viewable to all).

Will wait for your reply. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Joewillier : well come on. Your previous posts left almost nothing to work with. But.. y'know... this place isn't for everybody. It's a hands-on, self-serve kinda place. If that doesn't suit someone then by all means find something that does.

@Joewillier 

No worries dude....you're here, you're trying, you're learning it takes awhile but it will start to stick to your brain. I've often called this the public mobile community college. You have been given a scholarship that gives you free tuition to learn all about this phone stuff! It's up to you to take advantage of this situation. I used to be technologically challenged and I still am somewhat but I'm leaps and bounds better than I was and still learning new stuff everyday. Take the challenge you won't rregret it.

Today's lesson:

When you want to address someone you can tag them by tapping the "@" key and a box will pop up with the usernames in it...tap the name. If the name is not there then start typing the name and possible members usernames will start to pop up.

Happy tagging! @Joewillier 

Joewillier

Just have rude people on here they don’t understand I’m not a computer guy and I looked judged cause I know it’s easy for u guys but not me . I’m just gonna throw my sim away I can’t get there and my mom is dying in a week n now I have no communication a she is worried she can’t get a hold of me 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Joewillier : You're doing fine. You're finding threads to post your thoughts into. We'll sort it out. Just keep typing as you just did. You seem well able to type so keep going. Try to answer all the questions posed to you so that we can try to help you. Two or three word statements are meaningless to anybody. That's not about struggling with the site. That's communication. Keep on typing. Answer questions. Help us help you. Give some context like what you're replying to. Not just a lonely "yes" out of the blue with no meaning. Some questions may very well require just a simple answer. But it needs context.

Joewillier

Sorry bro just I’m not good with this language of computer or sites , never been good it’s like a different language to me

OK, @Anonymous 

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : Certainly. But you being a regular here, why waste others' time on questions or theories that you can answer for yourself? Or replying to OP's with "maybe what abouts" when you could have replied with "this does this so try this".  It wasn't until well into the conversation that you hinted at curiosity of the internal workings. Which I totally get being interested in. All that I quoted were things you could have figured out yourself or answered from experience.

Not a lot left of that horse.

@Anonymous 

This seems to be causing you some level of unnecessary time & concern - and it's unclear to what end.  

If I'm interested in 'experimenting' on something, I may or may not choose to do so.

If others wish to do so, it's entirely at their discretion.

OK?

(EDIT:   If you feel a need to continue this feedback loop, private message me)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS :

The horse has expired and gone to meet its maker...

Earlier in the thread you said:
"On mine, it seems I can amend the number so maybe that might allow you to clear the voicemail number - I'm not interested in trying it on my phone."

Why not try it? It's not about being interested in it. It's about being able to factually help provide workarounds. My phone doesn't let me just clear it. There seems to have to be something in there.

Then you said:
"On my phone, there is an option to seemingly wipe out the Voicemail number under the Phone app. If the OP really doesn't want to get voicemail perhaps they might try amending that field on their phone - who knows, maybe that'll work."

Who knows??? Try it. It won't.

You posted another:
"Then perhaps the OP can utilize the various forwarding options under call settings to simply forward the call back to their OWN number - would that not just have the caller continuing to hear the phone ring and eventually when no voicemail activates, the caller would hang up."

Again...try it. See what happens. Rather than just theorizing or wondering. Find out for yourself.

You then directly asked Nezgar a question that you could answer for yourself:
"Out of sheer curiosity, what do you think happens when the call-forwarding numbers, which are currently set to xxx-580-4001, are changed to my own number?
Would callers simply hear continual ringing as their call to me would be forwarded back to me, endlessly?"

To which he replied in his usual great detail.

Then you finally asked the question pertaining to internal workings:
"Re my inquiry, "What is actually happening when that action is taken?"
Was referring to when the *004*8080000000# is used.
I gather it just disables call forwarding all together?"

But no. You can't disable call forwarding. These are just tricks to workaround the voicemail.

All along, these things could have been tried by you. Saying that you were asking about the internal workings was not at all clear.

Think you're missing the point of my reply to Nezgar, @Anonymous 

I'm not interested in the result a change may make (i.e. whether it does or doesn't do what it's claimed to do), I was simply interested in the background processes involved in making such a change.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  We're way beyond the scope of the original OP's inquiry on this thread.

Keep experimenting!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : I'm not interested in doing Nezgar's trick either. But I tried it out to see what happens. I just put it back to normal after. I guess I have a different kind of curiosity...hands-on when I can.. rather than asking. Find out for myself kind of approach. Oh well...takes all kinds.

@Anonymous 

Don't know why you're puzzled.

I'm not interested in amending voicemail or current settings - the OP was.

I'm simply asking another user with knowledge on these settings how they work (in the background) towards achieving desired results.

Have a great day!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS : I'm puzzled as to why you won't try these things out for yourself. They're not permanently set options. Just put them back to normal when done fiddling.

SteTem
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I did turn off my voicemail and thought i got the tutorial here,, but it was when i joined over a year ago and to old to remember

I would suggest doing a search on here or the net with your phone model

when you call my number you will here an ugly voice(mine) saying i dont use voice mail and the public mobile voice comes on and says goodbye followed by a hang up

Thanks @Nezgar 

Re my inquiry, "What is actually happening when that action is taken?"

Was referring to when the *004*8080000000# is used. 

I gather it just disables call forwarding all together?

@Joewillier 

Please bow to the master....the pop quiz can occur anytime from 24 hrs to one week from now. Please be prepared. No phones are allowed during the quiz.

Thanks again @Nezgar !

@HALIMACS wrote:

What is actually happening when that action is taken?

1. Person calls you, and your phone rings for the requisite ring time (configurable from 5 to 30 seconds in 5 second increments.
  2. After ring time has elapsed, the "No Answer" conditional call forward is invoked - by default goes to Public Mobile voicemail number (ie 306 580 4001, but there a slew of access/deposit numbers accosts Canada)
  3. If the conditional forward has been modified to an alternate number - it will of course go there instead - or if you configure a US number, the call will just fail. The caller will potentially hear a couple different things... a fast busy, endless ringing, or maybe a message from their provider saying something along the lines that the call couldn't be completed...

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you think happens when the call-forwarding numbers, which are currently set to xxx-580-4001, are changed to my own number? Would callers simply hear continual ringing as their call to me would be forwarded back to me, endlessly?

I just tried this to remind myself... the network doesn't actually let you set your own number as a forward destination - it just comes back with an MMI error.

You can set different forwarding destinations for each of the 3 "conditions" - so for instance declined calls could be treated this way (*67 for decline/busy) but unanswered calls (*61) and calls when the phone is offline (*62) proceed to voicemail as usual.

There are all kinds of numbers that could be used as alternatives to send your unanswered calls.... I had some fun with this in a previous post: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Fun-with-Conditional-Call-forwardi...

Some brief testing just now forwarding to a few different numbers:

• forwarded to 8080000000 and calling from a SaskTel mobility phone - phone displayed message "Call failure - contact your service provider to make sure that your phone has been authorized for use on the network" - wut. lol!
  • forwarded to 8080000000 and calling from voip.ms I just get a fast busy.
  • forwarded to 0000000000, calling from a SaskTel Mobility phone - I hear "Your call could not be completed at this time, please try again later."
  • forwarded to 0000000000 calling from my voip.ms line I currently get the message "We're sorry, your call did not go through. Will you please hang-up and try your call again.

Based on this, I'll be changing my 'default' recommendation to use 0000000000 going forward - it's a more graceful failure for a human caller... My previous recommendation of 8080000000 was based on specifically redirecting spam callers away from voicemail - on the theory that a failure might help get your number off their robodialer lists...

At that point you might as well just use the previously linked method to set your own custom message and prevent leaving new messages...

OK, that's neat, @Nezgar 

What is actually happening when that action is taken?

Out of sheer curiosity, what do you think happens when the call-forwarding numbers, which are currently set to xxx-580-4001, are changed to my own number?

Would callers simply hear continual ringing as their call to me would be forwarded back to me, endlessly?

Joewillier

Thank you . Are you finished already ?

@Joewillier 

Public Mobile does not allow forwarding to USA numbers, but lets it be "configured" - so any calls forwarded this way will just terminate at the point they would normally go to voicemail with the caller just hearing fast busy or endless ring.

To "disable" voicemail this way, dial *004*8080000000#

To reset it back to defaults, dial ##004#

To have callers receive a voicemail announcement but be prevented from leaving a message, use the steps from this post by @srlawren :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Getting-Started/Re-Disable-Voicemail/m-p/213805/highl...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@HALIMACS wrote:

Then perhaps the OP can utilize the various forwarding options under call settings to simply forward the call back to their OWN number - would that not just have the caller continuing to hear the phone ring and eventually when no voicemail activates, the caller would hang up.

Try it yourself. See what happens. You won't break anything. Just remember what you changed from and how and then reverse it.

Then perhaps the OP can utilize the various forwarding options under call settings to simply forward the call back to their OWN number - would that not just have the caller continuing to hear the phone ring and eventually when no voicemail activates, the caller would hang up.

@HALIMACS 

It will not work

Voicemail number is the number where you call in when you dial 1. 

Where your call goes is determined by forwarding option in your call settings.

Removing that number won't work because the system will fill it with the default number.

THE trick is to put an American number in all forwarding options (not the voicemail). For some reason system lets you do that but the call fails even if you have American add-on.

No offense taken, @darlicious .   I think answers are only as effective as the scope of the question - which in this case was quite limited as also observed by @Anonymous 

I didn't necessarily expect the OP to grant a solution to my initial response.

That's why I followed up with a second reply AFTER receiving the solution.  On my phone, there is an option to seemingly wipe out the Voicemail number under the Phone app.   If the OP really doesn't want to get voicemail perhaps they might try amending that field on their phone - who knows, maybe that'll work.

Joewillier

Ok sounds good .

Need Help? Let's chat.