cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service issue with texts

kenholman007
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks Ken Holman

44 REPLIES 44

kenholman007

We made all the recommended settings but still unable to get texts through without wifi. Thank you for your efforts. We've given up - it's just too frustrating!

@kenholman007 

I found this article.  Not sure whether this will help.

Part 1:
imessage can sent to/from Apple ID or a phone number. To do what you described you should be using your phone number, not your Apple ID.

• Go to Settings> Messages> Send & Receive
  1. Your settings should be:
    • Can be reached by imessage at: Phone Number
    • Start new conversations from: Phone Number

Part 2:
Turn on Send as SMS

• Go to Settings> Messages

Explanation:
If you're sending/receiving imessages to/from your apple ID, and not a phone number, you can't send as SMS.
Also, the phone number used here is taken from  Settings>Phone>My Number. If you changed your phone number, sometimes this section doesn't populate your new number, and would then still send imessages from your old number. Same thing goes for FaceTime.

*Edit - it's an Apple ID issue, not a provider issue*

Turn cellular data and roaming ON. That will allow MMS messaging to non-iphones. There will be no data charges.

Turn Messages & Facetime OFF, and back ON in 5 minutes. This will force a reset ov Apple serviers to your new phone.

Correct setup for messaging: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage ON, Send as SMS ON, MMS ON >> Send & Receive should show your phone # and Apple ID email.

kenholman007

Thanks for everyone's help. Unfortunately after trying all the suggestions we can't get it to work.

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

For an iPhone device: If connected to WiFi, group text and picture/video messages can only be sent to other Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, Mac, etc.) using iMessage. If you do not have cellular data and are not connected to WiFi, and have iMessage turned on, normal text messages will not be able to send or receive.    So you need to be on Wifi to send/receive iMessages, and to send/receive normal text messages using MMS Messaging.  If you do not have WiFi, or not in WiFi range, then MMS Messaging will not work as long as iMessage is turned on under the phone's Settings.  So you need to pick and choose here, send MMS Messages only (no data/wifi needed) OR send iMessages using WiFi.  You can't do both without WiFi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm no Apple guy but isn't there something about logging out of iMessages and then back in.

Or, is this from one person or everybody?

I think there's also something about de-registering and re-registering too. But I know little about all that.

Bloody Apple. Gotta do things their own stupid way.

kenholman007

Data enabled. "Send as SMS" also enabled. Still unable to receive texts unless using wifi.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@kenholman007 wrote:

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks XXX XXXXXX

Just ensure that data is enabled as previously suggested. You need iMessage enabled to send / receive iMessages.

APN shouldn't need tweaking...unless it's a iphone 4 or less.

Keep us posted.

dlambro
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

In order to use iMessages you need an active data connection, either WiFi or cellular.

MMS messages do not require data, its part of your text messaging plan. Make sure MMS Messaging is turned on under Setting, Messages.

@kenholman007 wrote:

How do we correct the APN settings?

@kenholman007 

It should not be an APN setting issue.  newer iPhones usually don't need APN settings adjusted. It is automatic.  

iMessage actually requires data.  Follow Triguy's recommendations above.  Turn on SMS texts.  Or, you can turn off iMessage and just use SMS/MMS texts.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@kenholman007 wrote:

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks xxxxx

Hello @kenholman007 ,

• Ensure DATA is enabled
  • Ensure SMS is enabled
  • Ensure MMS is enabled
  • Turn OFF imessage
  • ensure updated with latest IOS version

Does it work now?

Try one or more of the below:

*turn off your phone, leave off for at least 3 minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

kenholman007

How do we correct the APN settings?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most iPhone users have iMessage enabled, but may have turned off SMS support.

1. Open the Settings app and go to “Message”
  2. Locate the switch for “Send as SMS” and turn this to the ON position (if send as SMS is already on, try turning it off for about 10 seconds and then turn it back on again)
  3. Return to Messages and try sending the text message again

gail709
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

There is a problem with her APN settings.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@kenholman007 wrote:

Can I ask, what I think may be, a simple question? My wife has a plan with no data. She is unable to receive texts until she is within wifi range. Is this a setting on her iPhone or does she need data for texts to come through in real time? Thanks Ken Holman

@kenholman007 She doesn't need data but she DOES need to have data turned on to send and receive MMS. For iMessage you need either data or wifi or go into settings and select send as SMS (I think its called)

Need Help? Let's chat.