cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send and receive text via internet

Colette_L
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

At times I have no service but have internet, is there a way I can send and receive text via internet ?

29 REPLIES 29

peruchimaranho
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, live in a rural area without network service (currently using Starlink) but in order to connect my company's VPN I have to receive a SMS. I'm trying to use RCS but most probably my company doesn't support it, when I wait for the text message from my company via wifi it never delivers, if I send a message from another mobile (SMS or RCS) I receive it normally. Any other suggestion how can I solve this situation? Thanks!

@Colette_L 

You need the cellular provider to enable WiFi Calling. This will allow voice calls and text messages to work in both directions over WiFi. I have it working on Bell and there's no issues. I don't have RCS, and there is no dependency on the other party's phone capability.

Unfortunately PM doesn't support WiFi Calling, and I don't see them supporting it any time soon.

You can pay a bit more and move to Koodo if this is important to you:

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

Just be sure to check if your phone will be supported with this feature before you sign up.

@computergeek541 

Learning and helping on the fly here....so RCS is not the only option for the OP.

maximum_gato, 

That doesn't have to be specific to any internet provider.  There are also more mainstream/universal apps for these types of calls or messages. I thought that you were speaking of an actual app to make the cell phone be able to use the internet.

@computergeek541 

I thought something like this might work for the OP.

Spoiler

Communicating at-sea and ship-to-shore has never been easier, faster or more reliable. With OneMessage, you can send and receive text messages from your cell phone, tablet, PC or Mac, over any network or satellite phone connection. Send and receive messages with on-shore friends and family, at-sea contacts, fleet managers and more, either through individual text messages or through public and private groups, and stay in touch whether you’re across the bay or around the globe.

OneMessage runs as a stand-alone service app on your iOS or Android mobile device or Windows or Mac. It can also run as a companion app with OCENS WeatherNet and OCENSMail - automatically transferring messages when you connect to do your regular weather or email downloads.

@Colette_L 

Looks like they only offer an email app for outlook but you may want to call and ask them.

@computergeek541 

I was looking at other satellite internet providers that offer an app that you access thru said settings in your phone that would then allow calling and texting thru your satellite internet. Unfortunately it does not look like xplornet offers anything close to this.....like other providers.

Colette_L

We have xplornet 

@maximum_gato wrote:

@Colette_L 

Your satellite internet provider should have an app that allows you to connect your Android phone thru your settings, wireless and networks, WiFi settings and then your providers wireless network. Who is your satellite internet provider?

Edit: @sheytoon any expertise you can add here?

There wouldn't be any need to use an app to connect the phone to the satelite service provider. The customer would have a compatible modem, and hopefully that modem has built-in Wi-Fi or there is a seperate wireless router connected. The Wi-Fi connection to the phone would be the same as if it were from any other internet connection.

@Colette_L 

Your satellite internet provider should have an app that allows you to connect your Android phone thru your settings, wireless and networks, WiFi settings and then your providers wireless network. Who is your satellite internet provider?

Edit: @sheytoon any expertise you can add here?

Colette_L

Our cottage is located in a none cellular service however we do have satellite internet. Thanks for your kind reply. 

The only way to receive texts via internet is to use RCS. Both parties must have this feature enabled. If you enable it, but the recipient does not have it enabled, your text will go through as SMS which will fail to send due to no network service. Some phones do not yet offer this feature so that's another downside. (cc @gblackma @gpixel )

@Colette_L  Are you completely not getting any service in that area? May be reaching out to someone from Telus can think about extending the coverage if there is a need or something might not be working properly in that area?

@Colette_L yes, it's like iMessage

RCS (Rich Communications Services) is a next-generation SMS protocol being championed by the GSMA, Google & Android, Samsung, and many carriers and mobile phone 

put your phone in airplane mode and test it out.

this will not work.. to test, disable your mobile data. you need a network connection as it uses your mobile phone number to enable chat features. the recipient also needs to have RCS enabled

there is also the "messages for web" feature when you first click the 3 dots in the app. like others have mentioned

@gpixel FMI can someone not on RCS get messages from a phone sending via RCS? Thanks  in advance.

Colette_L

RCS?

@Colette_L very nice!! I have the 4. and that means you can use RCS. which uses data or wifi to send texts

• open the messages app
  • click the 3 dots on the top right 
  • tap on "settings"
  • tap on "chat features"
  • enable chat features

Colette_L

I have a Pixel 2

@Colette_L what's the make and model of your device?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Colette_L wrote:

Thanks everyone for suggestions. My understanding is if I don't have service I can not access my text messages through wifi.

Correct.  Text message is send over by piggyback on the cellular voice channel.  You may still try to send text even you phone has zero bar.

That is the reason why all my family member has WhatsApp installed.  It works across iPhone and Android phone.

Yes @Colette_L but the messages should be kept for at least 3 days on the server. So once you get back service within that time, you should be able to see them. Stay safe. 

Colette_L

Thanks everyone for suggestions. My understanding is if I don't have service I can not access my text messages through wifi.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Colette_L 

I use WhatsApp to send text message as well as picture/video message using Wifi or mobile data.  WhatsApp is using your phone number.  But you friend and family need also on WhatsApp.  It is good when you travel.  You friends and family can still contact you even if you are using a local SIM card with a local phone number at your travel destination.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Colette_L  if you are using Android you can use Messages with enabled RCS to be able to use it over the Internet provided that the other party is also using RCS.

johnpublic

yes if you have internet you send message that same way that if you are using data on the phone.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Colette_L wrote:

At times I have no service but have internet, is there a way I can send and receive text via internet ?

Yeah...email... 🙂

But seriously... from email you can _send_ to

10 digit number@msg.telusmobility.com

From texting app you can _send_ to

email address

Replies are harder to do after receiving on the phone. You need to use the email address again.

Replies are fine on the email side.

Things convert to MMS along the way.

I too am an android user @Colette_L  and https://messages.google.com/ works great for me. Although you say you want to use it when you do not have service...why are you not getting service?

I use this app, and it works great; but my phone still has services when I use it.

Try this app and let me know how it works for you.

No @Colette_L . What TextNow and Fongo would allow you to do is to send a message to your contacts telling them to text/ call you on that number. Stay safe. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Colette_L ,

I use Messages for Web "https://messages.google.com/".

I would prefer to use this anytime I have a computer/laptop screen for texting. 

It is great!

Colette_L

I have an Android phone. I would like to retrieve my text from my cell phone number. Can I do that with those apps?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Colette_L if on an android phone, Google hangouts and Google dialer combined,  add the free voip apps TextNow or Fongo, If on an Iphone use Imessage. Welcome to the community. Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.