cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secrets of Public Mobile

swingdummy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello fellow customers! I tried to find a forum based on secret tips that only long-time customers of Public Mobile know about, and couldn’t find one. So, I wanted to ask: what are your absolute best tips, sweet tricks, and amazing secrets about Public Mobile that can help newbies enjoy being a customer even more so?

29 REPLIES 29

Jonavin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you are opening multiple lines, open one first with a friend’s referral, then for your other lines, use yourself as a referral.

if you are porting a number it’s best to just open the line without porting. Make everything works with the new line first and test the service. Once you are happy you can then initiate the port. This tip applies to any carrier, not just PM.

$15 plan is great for kids. With the addon minutes and data that never expires, it’s a nice backup. With Autopay, referral and other credits, I pay $7/$8 for these lines. Very economical to provide lines for your kids or senior parents.

@dabr Try this one please: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Bugs-quirks/m-p/545887#M42286

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@dabr wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@swingdummy Not all secrets are sweet. 😢

Bugs/Quirks List Updated May/20

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Bugs-and-Quirks-at-Public-Mobile/m-p/2026...

@Luddite   Your link isn't working, at least not for me 😊

Thanks. It disappears sometimes; I will try to resurrect it.

@Luddite wrote:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Bugs-and-Quirks-at-Public-Mobile/m-p/2026...

@Luddite   Your link isn't working, at least not for me 😊

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Bugs-quirks/m-p/545887#M42286

[link replaced ... Luddite]

@Someone_here wrote:

@computergeek541 Unfortunately, the refer-a-friend bug has been patched in the last 2 weeks... That one was the best! Not sure how widespread it was...

I suppose that as of yesterday, no one has to worry about that any longer.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@swingdummy Perilously close to Lounge worthy but I'm whimsical today, so herewith my tips:

a) register for autopay

b) never look at your self serve account unless you want to buy something

c) skip helping here for $ and collect empties from your neighbourhood to pay for you plan

d) brainwash your family and friends to join PM using your referral code

e) watch Blandings on britbox instead of hanging out with us

blandings.jpg

@Someone_here wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@swingdummy I'm not sure that you'd want to be discussing secrets unless you'd want them patched up more quickly.

@computergeek541 Unfortunately, the refer-a-friend bug has been patched in the last 2 weeks... That one was the best! Not sure how widespread it was...

@Someone_here   Oh nooo!! 🤣

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@brettster99 wrote:

@ryanrudolf 

Actually the maximum is 5 years for $5 😉

thats good to know!

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Someone_here 

What was the bug?

brettster99

@ryanrudolf 

Actually the maximum is 5 years for $5 😉

fdrcamb519

@swingdummy 

@swingdummy wrote:

Hello fellow customers! I tried to find a forum based on secret tips that only long-time customers of Public Mobile know about, and couldn’t find one. So, I wanted to ask: what are your absolute best tips, sweet tricks, and amazing secrets about Public Mobile that can help newbies enjoy being a customer even more so?

Best tips I would say, get involved in community earn $1 to $15 a month, auto pay, another $2 a month refer friends $1 a month for  each friend, as long as they stay, with PM. Is it possible to have your plan for free, yes it is. Great tip !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryanrudolf
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@swingdummy wrote:

not really secrets but this works ok for me -

$15 plan with autopay

$5 talk addon for additional 500mins

due to autopay, my plan gets a 2$ discount and a 250MB free data. i use google voice to make outgoing calls if its not that important to save on minutes. the 5$ addon also does not expire and any leftover value is carried over to the next month.

i also participate in the forums and get around 1-2$ reward every month

at the end of my first year anniversary, i will get another 1$ off, maximum of 4yrs 4$

so all in all, at the end of 4th year i will only be paying around 9$ per month. only regret is i should have done this sooner lol

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@swingdummy  if you are not a data user the $15 plan + 500 minutes $5 addon gets you 100 plan + 500minutes outgoing calling  and unlimited incoming calls and unlimited sms.  the unused addon addon minutes are kept in the account till used.  

no receipts/invoices are supplied by pm unless requested, a workaround is to buy vouchers and use that as the receipt for tax purposes

@computergeek541 wrote:

@swingdummy I'm not sure that you'd want to be discussing secrets unless you'd want them patched up more quickly.

@swingdummy 

If you want to address your comment to someone in particular like I just did to you.... type the "@" key and a pop box will appear with usernames from the thread or you can type in one and it will pop up with username your looking for then tap on it.

If you are having connection issues (poor quality or dropped calls, missing texts, sending issues etc....) first try rebooting your phone if that doesn't work put your phone in airplane mode, wait 5 min, take out of airplane mode. This will fix most connection issues by establishing a new connection to the network.

If your all of your incoming calling is going to voicemail or your account does not restart your new plan cycle after being suspended and then paid. Use the lost/stolen feature by logging into your account. Report phone lost. Log out. Wait 5 min. Log in. Report found. Log out. Reboot.

swingdummy

Interesting. Very interesting comment you made. 🧐🤔

dude65
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Here are my tips on PM

Join PM vs the competion to save some money....so port if your # if your with another provider

Tell your family and friends about PM.... every referral get you $1per month off (if they stay a PM customer). 

Participate in this forum. you learn things about PM and you may get some rewards.

Enter a CC for autopay in self serve acct and get $2off each month.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@swingdummy What kind of tricks and secrets are you looking for? You can't cheat the system here😁 but you can take advantage of PM rewards program. Refer friends, enable autopay, help community, and you will pay less for service😉

brettster99

@swingdummy 

You can change your phone number area code to another province or territories for lower taxes on your phone plan. (From what I understand you need to have just to be safe an address on file on self serve account in new place of mods check and your payment method at same address. CC bills can just go electronic or prepay cards like KOHO.)

Also if you have a KOHO card you get 2% on it because it’s a “featured” partner of it. And you automatically get .5% on it on every card for non partnerd so really 2.5% for public mobile. Every cent and dollar counts.

Or if you buy vouchers (in Alberta) or online vouchers from retailers in Alberta or the territories you only pay 5% tax that way as well 

swingdummy

Nice! You are picking up what I’m paying down! We need more posts like this. Post on! Post on!

@swingdummy 

Here are a few secrets/advice for new members:

1. Lost/stolen phone trick or manually load $1 trick to restart accounts

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Paying-for-your-service/SOLUTION-My-plan-has-enough-f...

2. Autopay sometimes fails and your service gets disrupted.  Some members will manually load enough funds a few days before payment date to prevent this issue.

3. Besides autopay rewards and loyalty rewards, the best way to lower bills is to slowly get friend referrals ($1/month discount for each friend).  

4. While in United States, PM customers usually will stilll get incoming texts without a US roaming package. Other features of the phone ie. talk and data will not work without 10 day roaming package.  

5.  If thinking about porting over to Public mobile and not in a rush, wait for some special promotions before joing PM.  Ie. 2nd month free promo, free SIM card, etc.   These promotions are time limited deals. Also, a good time to convince friends to join PM. 

6. At the present time (due to Covid), if you need data add ons, the price is $15 for 1 GB data add on (sale price).  Regular price is $30 for 1 GB.  If on $15 plan, this is a good add on to have. 

swingdummy

Based on the first few responses, perhaps I should clarify my post. With anything in life, we often have an Eureka! moment where we say something along these lines: ‘I wish I would have known about this sooner! Why didn’t anyone tell me?’ So, I would like to encourage very simple posts in this thread with your best tricks, tips, and secrets about being a Public Mobile customer. I know that there must be some out there that us newbies would love to hear about. Post on!

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@swingdummy 🤔 my three best ones are Read ,Learn,Listen 

Lemony_Snicket
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@swingdummy , there's really no secrets about this service.  Check out the get started section and plans.  Look through a few articles to see what people were having issues with.  Decide whether this is for you or not.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.