cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scams

Celine1980
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi , I’m new to public mobile since April 3rd. I’m from New-Brunswick and I keep getting calls from the Moncton area. I block the numbers but they seem to still be able to call. Finally, I called one of the numbers today and they said it was a collection agency and asked for my phone number and told me that they were going to take my number off of the list, they didn’t ask questions. Also, if I look at my usage on the site, it shows that I call an Ontario number often but I really don’t and I live alone...has anyone had these problems ?.....thanks

14 REPLIES 14

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@skifan wrote:

@mpcdesign wrote:

Don't forget some telemarketers can spoof a phone number. For all you know, it could be your next-door cousin calling you down the street!! 

To make a point.....I have even received scam calls from my alternate reality self.....they spoofed my own number.  Let's just say that was an interesting conversation. 😁

Ditto 😊

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@mpcdesign wrote:

Don't forget some telemarketers can spoof a phone number. For all you know, it could be your next-door cousin calling you down the street!! 

To make a point.....I have even received scam calls from my alternate reality self.....they spoofed my own number.  Let's just say that was an interesting conversation. 😁

@gpixel wow thats pretty cool!

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980 

There is a nice trick you can do with the suspected spam number, if you go into your call settings, then to call forwarding, you can change the declined calls to go to different number. This way if you actually suspect a number and decline call it will not go to your voicemail. If you put any USA number the forward will just fail and they will be disconnected without ever reaching anybody's voicemail

@Naepalm it's a feature from the Google pixel line of phones. watch this video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aeYPLeiNf0Q

@gpixel what is screen call? 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If it's collection agency once they do realise to number changed the owner they will stop.

It looks like you got lucky with your number and I wouldn't be surprised if there are more coming, when people stop paying they stop paying everything and everyday can reach out to correction agency for help, I wouldn't be surprised if it's more than one credit card issuer, tv, phone, landlord and who knows who else. It may get worse. It maybe this is the only one. I suggest give u a wait and if it doesn't go down change your number. Hopefully you will be luckier next time. That's the thing about cute looking numbers they often have history. 

For the Ontario call, check your call settings voicemail number, that's most likely it (every time you don't pick up the call gets transferred there, and you've been blocking a lot)

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980 add your number into Do-not-call list. Should also help.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980 wrote:

Hi , I’m new to public mobile since April 3rd. I’m from New-Brunswick and I keep getting calls from the Moncton area. I block the numbers but they seem to still be able to call. Finally, I called one of the numbers today and they said it was a collection agency and asked for my phone number and told me that they were going to take my number off of the list, they didn’t ask questions. Also, if I look at my usage on the site, it shows that I call an Ontario number often but I really don’t and I live alone...has anyone had these problems ?.....thanks

My Public Mobile Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL SCAM/SPAM CALLS IS TO CONTROL THE SITUATION YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

?Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. ?

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone SEE HERE. 

LurganIeUk_0-1587144062600.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

Celine1980
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes it does end by 4001. Funny when I gave the number to public mobile they didn’t figure that out ?

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980, never call them back. Then they put you on the list, and call you again? eeck!

It's growing pain with telemarketers. Love them or hate them. At least they are working! Hehe. 

But, the only thing is to keep blocking them.  Or do what I do answer the call, and repeat the exact same thing as they do, or say on the line till the end, and tell them you're not interested. That'll make them seething red! 

Another thing that works well, is I tell them they have reached a business such as Bell or Telus. And they Willa ask again, and I tell them again. They normally don't call again going on 9 months now! 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980  did you choose a new number on activation? You may have to let this one go and choose a new one. Is everything working properly one your phone? Or is it sluggish. Thanks.Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Celine1980 yeah I was getting a few yesterday, but I have a Google pixel and screen call is awesome!. instead of answering, I answer with that and they just hang up right away and then I block them. and they don't call back. probably one of the best features from Google.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Celine1980 

Is the outgoing number ended  with 4001?

If yes, it is your voice mail number.  When your did not answer your phone, PM will forward it to your voicemail so that your caller can leave a message for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.