cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call

Pop1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am quite new to PM so I hope I am asking this question in rather right place..

Got a call yesterday from 18259936763.

I answered it as (Public Mobile)was displayed and also the first six numbers(825993) of my PM number were shown.

A rather deep voice started to inform me that some fine was levied against my social insurance number.....at this point I ended the call.

Has anyone else been called by this number.

Keep safe everyone

Bob S

14 REPLIES 14

@iainc Thanks to Samsung's "Smart Call" app preinstalled on your phone:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/smart-call/

Do it's settings default to sending Samsung your name and number too? Other apps like "TrueCaller" go as far as uploading your entire address book...

iainc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well it appears that some progress against spam calls. Received this warning today on my PM phone just over an hour ago.

Msg.jpg

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Pop1  If you ever have a problem with blocked callers resulting in junk voicemail, you can prevent blocked callers from reaching your voicemail by setting the conditional call forward for blocked/declined calls to go to a dead-end. The caller would hear either a fast-busy or endless ring when on the block list, or when you manually decline an incoming call instead of the regular behaviour of being directed immediately to your voicemail. Makes your number appear even "more dead" in the spammers database... Unanswered calls and calls while your phone is off or out of the coverage area will continue to route to voicemail as usual.

To set, dial: *67#8080000000#

To unset, dial: ##67#

Pop1

#LurganleUk

Thankyou so much for taking time out to reply with the excellent info.

Thats a great help

Stay safe

Pop1

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@Pop1 wrote:

I am quite new to PM so I hope I am asking this question in rather right place..

Got a call yesterday from 18259936763.

I answered it as (Public Mobile)was displayed and also the first six numbers(825993) of my PM number were shown.

A rather deep voice started to inform me that some fine was levied against my social insurance number.....at this point I ended the call.

Has anyone else been called by this number.

Keep safe everyone

Bob S

It’s tax time and the scammers are out of their cocoons. 

May I suggest.  

My Public Mobile Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1592073589303.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

@porcupine wrote:

get a whistle and blow it in there ear problem solved. they will not call back

...or they will target you for extensive attention. If you don't recognize the number either don't answer or hang up when you realize it's not a legitimate call.

porcupine
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Its a scam call to fix them get a whistle and blow it in there ear problem solved. they will not call back

Pop1

#gblackma

thx

done just that

safe safe

pop1

Pop1

#shep22

thx but no,was not going to entertain that one

stay safe

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

That uses to happen couple of years ago very frequently. When I see that it has the same first 3 digits u know that they are calling everyone in that exchange. Don't pickup

jbcrash
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

You really do have to be careful with that kind of thing because they can mask their numbers fairly easily. I've gotten plenty of scam calls that appeared in my area code, or even regional code. They've gotten a lot more specific in their targeting and they seem a lot more legit. 

Your best bet is to block those numbers as soon as you can. And just know that no one gives anything away for free xD

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to hear that this happened to you @Pop1 . Block the number. Stay safe. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Pop1 

These scammers are getting sophisticated these days.  Using different call display numbers that seem legit.  You can just block that number from your phone.  

shep22
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Pop1 definatly a scam I hope you didn't give them any info stay safe!

Need Help? Let's chat.