cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Numbers

roxanneSC2020
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I heard through the grape vines there's a way to block numbers of scammers from calling your mobile. Is this the case with PM, too? If so, I would appreciate any information re: this subject.

Thank you kindly 🙂

-R

10 REPLIES 10

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@roxanneSC2020 wrote:

I heard through the grape vines there's a way to block numbers of scammers from calling your mobile. Is this the case with PM, too? If so, I would appreciate any information re: this subject.

Some USA mobile providers have recently announced systems that will either automatically block spam/scam calls based on statistics, or other methods like Telus offers on their landline service called "Call Control" - where callers are challenged with an automated prompt to press a specific random number before the call is passed through. The idea is this foils most 'robocalls' that blindly play a message before hanging up.

VoIP phone providers often allow creating an IVR menu to ask callers to press a number before letting the call actually ring phones. I have done this for my home phone line via voip.ms. Another provider, CallCentric allows randomization of the number that needs to be pressed like Telus Call Control...  With all of these you can "whitelist" certain callers so they are never challenged.

Unfortunately, features like that are not available directly with Public Mobile. One of the few options you have though is to block unknown or set your conditional forward for blocked/declined calls to a number other than your voicemail. using a dead-end number will cause the calls to be immediately hung up on for the spammers, instead of allowing them to further annoy you by leaving voicemail.

To configure this:

Query conditional busy/decline forward: *#67#

Set conditional busy/decline forward: *67*8080000000#

Reset conditional busy/decline forward back to Public Mobile Default: ##67#

808-000-0000 is an "invalid" USA number. Since PM does not allow forwarding to USA numbers, this causes the call to immediately fail when declined or blocked.

Lastly, if you answer a spam/scam call and can get a live human on the line, you can conference in Lenny. 😁

To avoid spam, scam, unwanted calls get involved with call blocking. 

Call Blocking

Just keep blocking. Eventually you will get it under control.

Keep in mind you may be blocking legitimate numbers as these callers “may” use legitimate numbers. It is called “Spoofing” which consists of altering the caller ID to show a different numberthan the one actually being used for making the telephone call. This is frequently done to mislead the person receiving the telephone call into believing that the call is either local, or from a trusted organization.

So before you block check your contact list to make sure you are not  blocking a number you would expect a call from. Also Google 800Notes and can confirm, sometimes, if it is a call that you absolutely don’t want. I have had a call from my own number. They spoof a number that is in your calling area to make you feel more confident to answer. 

I don’t recommend registering with a DO NOT CALL LIST. It puts your number on a list that callers CAN call you. SEE HERE

THE BEST WAY TO CONTROL IS TO CONTROL YOURSELF.

Also....be very suspect of a SCAM call if your caller ID only shows a number and no name. The name often comes from YOUR contact list on your device.

Keep your contact lists up to date AND block, block and block some more!!

😀Changing your number is not a good idea if it was previously used. 😀

I too would also suggest to use the DO NOT DISTURB settings on your phone as well and make sure you set what options work best for you. If iPhone see here. 

LurganIeUk_0-1596571775953.png

Also SEE HERE for more information on blocking calls on both Android and iOS devices.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/11/15/how-to-identify-block-spamc-calls-ios-android/

Copyright 2020

@Staliger wrote:

@roxanneSC2020 Also include your number into Do-Not-Call list. It may decrease the number of spam calls.

That might also increase your chance of receiving such calls. If a company/organization is out to do more than legitimately sell something, they won't care about the rules.

@roxanneSC2020 Also include your number into Do-Not-Call list. It may decrease the number of spam calls.

@roxanneSC2020 😁 if an iPhone. I would call in @LurganIeUk , @Luddite and since it has to do with spam prevention.our resident guru @Nezgar . Stay safe. 👍

roxanneSC2020
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks for such a quick reply !

What if I have an Iphone?...haha

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@roxanneSC2020 , Public Mobile does not block anything from their end.  You can do blocking on your phone via app settings.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@roxanneSC2020 

There is nothing at the account level (in selfserve) that would allow you to do that. Your phone, your calling app is the place to do something like that.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@roxanneSC2020 as far as I know. You block them individually and if on an Android phone add them to the Google spam list. Provided you attached a Google account to your phone. Stay safe 

Need Help? Let's chat.