cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Canada revenue calls and other scam calls

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Long time pm customer.. know the PM area codes/ numbers etc.. more and more fake revenue Canada and threatening calls are utilizing Pm numbers.. figure it out and stop the rediculous calls.........

22 REPLIES 22

LoreckAvery
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I get even more on our landline than I do on my cell 🤷🏼‍♀️ 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Metal1967 wrote:

Long time pm customer.. know the PM area codes/ numbers etc.. more and more fake revenue Canada and threatening calls are utilizing Pm numbers.. figure it out and stop the rediculous calls.........

Update your conditional call forwarding for blocked & declined calls (*67) to be forwarded to Lenny - I've even updated it recently to send a DTMF "1" to get past the CRA/chinese robocallers to ensure it wastes the time of an actual human... 🤣

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Lenny-the-Telemarketers-worst-nigh...

TessieBoo

@stevenanto 

Oh, that’s great!  I still get a call maybe once a week, but I block it right away.  Only thing is, it’s the same scam from supposedly Service Canada and if I don’t take action right away, I’ll be arrested....or something to that affect.  These scammers just call from another number so I guess I’ll never get rid of them.  But, TrueCaller certainly does take care of a lot of them.  They do try to get you to upgrade, but I haven’t, and won’t because the free app serves me just fine.

Stay safe and healthy!

@TessieBoo 

stevenanto

@TessieBoo Literally havent gotten one call in week, Im happy and a little disappointed lol

TessieBoo

Hi stevenanto,

You are more than welcome! Hope it works as well for you as it works for me.

stevenanto

@TessieBoo wow, I will be definitely giving that one a try, thanks for the info. 

TessieBoo

Hi,

Years ago I downloaded the “Truecaller” app.  It contains many spam numbers already, and will automatically block the calls coming in from those numbers.  Everytime I get a Spam call, I block that number through Truecaller.  I know a lot of them just call from another number, but this app really has helped cut down on a lot of unwanted calls.  And, it’s free.....there is a premium app that they charge for, but I’ve been very happy with the free one.

stevenanto

@LurganIeUk Oh that is a good one, i might have to add that one to my lines lol. 

BasesLoadedWalk

@Jb456 wrote:

@Metal1967  scammers spoofing numbers. All you can really do is block the number or if it's it.

Sorry for the inconveniences this has caused you!

blocking numbers isn't really effective either. They just cycle through new numbers each time. Best strategy is to just not answer numbers you don't recognize. If it's a legitimate call, they will leave a voicemail. There are even options on some phones/apps to create a white list of phone numbers, containing your friends and business contacts, that are the only numbers that will ring your phone.

BasesLoadedWalk

This is not a PM problem, this is a worldwide problem with Governments not putting enough pressure on the Indian Government to crack down on the illegal call centers located there. It's been going on long enough, and no longer should the Canadian, UK, American, Australian, etc. governments just accept the lip service from the Indian police and Indian Government (who really don't investigate these call centers at all). It's now time for International Governments to place economic sanctions on India until they take these scams seriously.

Ha ha. I usually ask them if their mother knows what they do for a job. Then they hang up on me and then I block the number. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get a kick out of speaking to the CRA.  They remind me several times a year to do my taxes.  

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Metal1967 wrote:

it's not a PM issue... it happens with any provider.. line number and mobile and VoIP number.

Scammer just make up phone number.. using the same first 3 number as yours .. and make up the other 4 digits.. it makes it real and try to fool you the pickup.. if you ever call back, you will notice some innocent pickup the phone and not know what you talking about.

honest.. when i see numbers I dont recognize and same exchange (first 3 digits)  as mine , i almost certain it is scammer and not pickup the call.

so, just ignore.. nothing we can do.. it happens with any providers.

@Jb456 wrote:

@Metal1967  scammers spoofing numbers. All you can really do is block the number or if it's it.

no point to even block number.. a lot of this scam just make up phone numbers.. using number with the same exchange as yours (first 3 digits) and make up the other 4 digits.. the number they used is not even real

Anonymous
Not applicable

And you.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Metal1967 

It sucks - no question.

My rule of thumb is simple, if you're not on my contact list, I don't answer.

If I don't recognize the number, and it's not important enough to leave a message, it's probably NOT important.

Simple.

Metal1967

@Anonymous .. doing well my friend.. happy new year.....

Metal1967

I’ll send z10 after them😂😂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey long time no see there Metal1967. Hope all is well (other than scam calls) 🙂

Yeah yeah I'm still here. 🙂

Metal1967

No need to apologize.. but thx😀

stevenanto

@Metal1967 Alive gotten so many of these even when I was not with PM. It is very annoying but I also like to waste their time as well if I have some time to spare myself. 

Inwould generally give give a fake name and a real address. Then ask them about themselves and where they are located. I’ll say hey do you work at the building in Ottawa haha. They’ll say yes and I’ll ask them on which street it on, I’ll say me too. 

Other times when I give my address I would say I live on 4467 up..ura...ss lol sounds better when you say it. 

Other times when with friends I’ll ask the person to please speak to me in English (even though they are) then I’ll ask for French. Which they’ll usually hang up

Need Help? Let's chat.