cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same number as someone else TWICE

krishnajoshua54
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I activated my sim 4 days ago, and turns out, someone has the same number as me.

how did I know? I messaged myself on iMessage and someone else replied. I asked if she has the same number as mine and she said yes.

I changed my number again, and when I tried editing my apple ID’s phone number I got this:

2CD9BC48-FEED-48FC-B5D3-2666A26D05F9.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Same!!!  ...but just watch, I'll enable it for some random reason then forget- and not understand why SMS messaging won't work when I upgrade phones! 😅

True, i think they have such option.  But I didn't enable it.  SMS stays on my Message app only and no where else  🙂

BlueB

@hTideGnow 

I agree - don't like it either.  If I'm not mistaken, other apps like Whatsapp default with data-driven messages but believe there's an option there to send/receive SMS messages too, so would be the same problem (in reverse?).

@Meow wrote:

Thank you very much for explanation! I am Not fan of Apple.

@Meow  

You  are not a fan of Apple.. but this thing is coming to Google/Android too.  It is  RCS in Google world

Honest, I don't like that too.  I rather use a separate app like Whatsapp if you want that kind of messaging.   Integration is easy to handle, one app for all.  But so many people got confused when changing phones or switching between Apple and Android.  So many threads about "Text not sent or received", but many of them not aware they were using iMessage or RCS and they didn't logoff properly before changing phones..

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@Meow wrote:

So you are saying iMessage is texting app similar to TextNow on Android as TextNow uses data or WiFi for texting/calls.

So... Call your number from a land line... Do you get the call, or a stranger? If you - then that other person has your number erronously still associated with their Apple ID. Since you own the number, you can get apple to deregister it from the other person's apple account using this link. Apple will TEXT you a code to confirm you own the number now.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Then you can associate the number with your own apple ID. This is not a fault of Public Mobile, but of a latent phone number left associated with an Apple ID.

@Dunkman wrote:

@Meow 

It can be confusing for sure. I am not an Apple expert, but from my understanding... iMessage is Apple's own texting system with its own servers.  Apple users need to login in with Apple ID (email address) and their own phone number.  iMessage also requires data or Wifi.  That particular phone number is assigned to a particular apple ID.  Users need to sign out of the phone number if they change phone numbers. 

So you are saying iMessage is texting app similar to TextNow on Android as TextNow uses data or WiFi for texting/calls.

I did not have any issues with TextNow changing my phone number becoming PM customer. New SIM or phone number should not be tied up to some software/hardware company or app.

@Meow wrote:

@Dunkman wrote:

but the previous owner of that number did not logout of iMessage.  Do you have an Android phone that you can try the SIM card in?

This is really confusing. What Apple and its iMessage have to do with PM service?

I thought, you get a SIM, select phone number and you have a service. What logging out/in to Apple stuff has to do with PM???

@Meow 

It can be confusing for sure. I am not an Apple expert, but from my understanding... iMessage is Apple's own texting system with its own servers.  Apple users need to login in with Apple ID (email address) and their own phone number.  iMessage also requires data or Wifi.  That particular phone number is assigned to a particular apple ID.  Users need to sign out of the phone number if they change phone numbers. 

@Dunkman wrote:

but the previous owner of that number did not logout of iMessage.  Do you have an Android phone that you can try the SIM card in?

This is really confusing. What Apple and its iMessage have to do with PM service?

I thought, you get a SIM, select phone number and you have a service. What logging out/in to Apple stuff has to do with PM???

When you call your 2nd "new" number, did you phone ring?  It didn't go to another person, right?  If that is the case, it looks like it is more an Apple issue.

Yes, quick fix is to get a new number.  Maybe a new number from a brand new area code, better chance to avoid a recycled number.

Or if you like your 2nd new number, you might want to check with Apple Support to see how long you have to wait before Apple releases that number from their end.

BlueB

@krishnajoshua54 

That's frustrating!  You're not porting/transferring by any chance, are you?  In the meantime, I'd keep screenshots (like you have) or other details incase there's something else going on that you need to show to get it fixed.  Ultimately, I'm with @Dunkman that retrying a new number will (hopefully!) fix it now.  🙂

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@krishnajoshua54 

Getting assigned somebody's else number is uncommon, but sometimes happens.  However, twice is unusual.  It may be possible that the second phone number is fine, but the previous owner of that number did not logout of iMessage.  Do you have an Android phone that you can try the SIM card in?

You are allowed to changed numbers up to four times in a 30 day period, so you could change to another number again.  

Need Help? Let's chat.