cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS

Lauren123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I was trying to sign up to a new bank and Uber eats, and the text message they send you with a code to help sign you up is not coming through on my phone? I am also not receiving text messages from abroad. My plan is 50 dollars which includes unlimited international texts.

12 REPLIES 12

@sidheshdessai 

It depends who you are tfying to get the shortcode from ie a bank vs uber. Try texting HELP or SUBSCRIBE or INFO or YES. If you get an answer then you should be good to go.

sidheshdessai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I am also having same issue with my public mobile number starting from 672

Is this issue fixed for you ? what did you do

@Lauren123 wrote:

Yes I have a 672 area code I wonder is that the problem? Does this mean I will have to get a new number?? 

I see that the 672 area code is being discussed, but from what I've read, the websites just refuse to accept the phone number, instead of accepting it but the message never arriving. Did you get any error message when trying to use this phone number?

As for the alternative of changing your phone number to one with a different area code, the only other option would be to get the company that you dealing with to accept 672 area code phone numbers. They probably have some type of software the checks the validty of phone numbers, but that list that they have is out-of-date.

@Lauren123 wrote:

I was trying to sign up to a new bank and Uber eats, and the text message they send you with a code to help sign you up is not coming through on my phone? I am also not receiving text messages from abroad. My plan is 50 dollars which includes unlimited international texts.

When you say from abroad, do you mean that the texts are being sent to you from a different country while you are in Canada, or that you're trying to receive text messages while you're travelling internationally?  Text messaging (and other Public Mobile services) do not work outside of Canada and the U.S. (with a roaming add-on).

@Lauren123 wrote:

Yes I have a 672 area code I wonder is that the problem? Does this mean I will have to get a new number?? 

@Lauren123  I believe other users have reported issues with area code 672 and some have opted to change it to one of the older more recognized area codes in usage.  The problem seems to be related to the fact that it is a new area code and is not always being recognized as a legitimate area code. 

So if this a new number for you and you don't mind losing it, then changing it might be a good option.  You are permitted to change your number once every 30 days for free at PM.

Lauren123
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Lauren123  Aside from banks (2FA), you may also not receive short codes for transit if you use this service for 2-3 days

@Lauren123  If you have recently ported in your number it will take 48 to 72 hours to be able to recieve short codes. It can be helpful to text  HELP/INFO to the short code your having problems with as they will text back establishing a connection. Your bank may be a matter of speaking with them and confirming you have ported or changed your number as the recent rise in simjacking/identity fraud has them holding back on sending short coded until they are satisfied  you have ported your number.

@Staliger wrote:

@Lauren123 wrote:

I was trying to sign up to a new bank and Uber eats, and the text message they send you with a code to help sign you up is not coming through on my phone? I am also not receiving text messages from abroad. My plan is 50 dollars which includes unlimited iinternational texts.

Does your number have a new area code, like 672? New area codes may not work correctly still for some services. To fix the issue, you can only change the number with an older area code, like 778 or 236...

@Staliger 

While I agree that we need slightly more information here... Where did you read that the OP is from BC?

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Lauren123 wrote:

You should be able to receive incoming international texts, unless they are from foreign banks which seem to be a problem for a few users. 

See if powering off the phone and removing the SIM, wait 5 mins and re-insert SIM and restarting the phone will help. 

If the issue still persists in a few hours, then you might need moderators assistance.  Submit a message via SIMon here: https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/

Type in your issue and select 'contact us/moderators', then 'submit ticket' when these options appear and follow the rest of the prompts to finish.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Lauren123 wrote:

I was trying to sign up to a new bank and Uber eats, and the text message they send you with a code to help sign you up is not coming through on my phone? I am also not receiving text messages from abroad. My plan is 50 dollars which includes unlimited iinternational texts.

Does your number have a new area code, like 672? New area codes may not work correctly still for some services. To fix the issue, you can only change the number with an older area code, like 778 or 236...

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Lauren123  Did you just port in your number from another provider? If yes, then it should start working within 48 hours.

Need Help? Let's chat.