cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS unauthorized publicity from 5179, how to opt-out from this

Shadowpt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just received an SMS from 5179 for some Koodo publicity and I never authorized my number for such use. How can I turn this off because I cannot find any option to stop it anywhere.

I hate ads and I've been with PM for more than 1 year with zero ads so far, but I will have no problem switching network if I cannot get this solved.

EDIT: The actual solution has been posted here: Actual Solution

30 REPLIES 30

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Shadowpt 

Right on time.....I was giving them until Monday. How about freedom?

Screenshot_20211119-141858.png

@Nezgar 

You are right but the wrong transportation system.....since the OP mentions the subway I suspect they are using the TTC's subway system that freedom has an exclusive contract to supply mobile services.

Translink's Skytrain has had telus for a few years and now also gives Shaw/freedom customers the same ability to access their network. 

@Shadowpt 

Well you last complained about these messages in August. Guess what? I haven't recieved a single one since then either! But I expect one by Monday.....the next time they are due to be recieved via 5129. How about you report back on Tuesday if you are still CCTS text free? Then you can be smug.

@Shadowpt 

If you don't mind - I'm curious who your new carrier is, and what plan?

Edit: Since you mention service in transit tunnels, I'm guessing Shaw/Freedom? This press release was from only a couple days ago: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/shaw-translink-partner-wireless-connectivity-200000305.html

Shadowpt

Hi, just thought I should come by to at least rub it in. With the new operator since the change and I have received 0 (ZERO) of those spam messages. I am also paying 20$ less for the same plan I had with PM (valid for 2 years and it is not a contract plan), and I have mobile data signal inside most parts of the subway tunnels (yes, including while in transit), which I did not expect at all. Only downside so far is their platform isn't as intuitive as PM's, but that's about it really. Dropping Public Mobile was the best decision I could have made. Have a good day 👋

chainsawcowboy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Shadowpt 

Now you know who and how to complain about those pesky texts about your right to contact the CCTS.

I don't see any problem with those SMS messages

in fact, if you hate it so much, you should have follow the complain process.

PM is just following the law to send you those messages.  I am not even sure those messages will be classified as spam.   (Spam does not mean any messages you don't  like)

Good luck with you new provider.  I expect you will have to keep moving providers to look for one that won't send you those messages.   Your search will go on

@Shadowpt sorry to tell you that those CCTS complaint process reminder texts are required to be sent by law by all wireless providers in Canada. You should continue to receive them at any other carrier you move to. You can't stop them. (Unless you block the sender shortcode on your phone)

Promotional texts were disabled with your first "STOP" . Your screenshot shows no promotional texts, only mandatory CCTS complaint process reminders.

Shadowpt

From the saga "public mobile does not stop sending sms spam": https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/SMS-unauthorized-publicity-from-51...

As I explained at the time, if I couldn't get this to stop I would drop Public Mobile and switch to another operator.

Lo and behold

Screenshot_20210821-171650_Messages.jpg

And another client lost

Screenshot_20210821-171628_Messages.png

I don't understand who in their right mind thinks spamming their clients into leaving their services is a good business decision, but hey, PM must surely know what they are doing. I just won't be here anymore to find out if that's true.

Bye.

treefrog
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@LurganIeUk 

I've only been here a couple of months so no ads yet but the free 5gb of data is pretty awesome!  I'll take an ad or two if I get a freebie like this.

As far as emails from the community I turned them all off and I also unsubscribe when necessary. I just check the BELL.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowpt 

Here's a tip. If you're getting all these emails in your inbox from here then you can choose to turn it off. You can unsubscribe from your thread or you can turn off those options in your settings.

Just thought you might be interested since you seem a little agitated about this place. That way you can carry on with your life in quiet bliss.

@Shadowpt hi if you ever receive spam texts from pm just reply "stop" and you will stop receiving offers from 5179 or any other number you choose.

Yes I agree. If the few texts don’t interest you.....delete them. Some are of very good value and much appreciated. 

What i I find annoying and unwanted is 2-3 calls a day from  the FAKE CRA in India. 

Haven't had any to land line but many to my PM number. And all from 778-554-xxxx. 

They think I am a neighbour as my number is same.  That philosophy works for a land line but not a mobile number. And I do block them but since they spoof the number, my block is short term. 

Edit. @Shadowpt Step away, get some fresh air, go for a walk, digest what is being said, the world isn’t perfect, PM is honest, and don’t sweat the small  stuff......it’s all small stuff. 

Shadowpt

@Jb456For the 3rd and last time, I COULDN'T CARE LESS FOR ANY UNAUTHORIZED OFFER WHATSOEVER. I will NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT AN OFFER I DIDN'T GET, especially when I'LL NEVER KNOW ABOUT IT BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

Maybe this time will stick since you clearly didn't care to read the thread so far and chose to spam it with duplicate and useless information. Go have fun with your ad spam if you love it so much, just leave me out of it and stop insisting, you're starting to sound like a robocaller by now, jeez.

@Shadowpt  then block the number and move on. No need to complain until next time you see a promotion ask why you didn't get it 🙄

Shadowpt

@Jb456Please stop spamming exactly the same lure another user already posted and I already said: I couldn't care less for any of this annoying spam. I don't want any ads, period. Stop trying to make it sound appealing, it is not, it is super annoying so stop it already.

Subscribe to all the spam you want if that's your thing, but it is not mine.

"But it could benefit you, but it could be worth it, it is just one spam message, what is the big deal, first world problems" then you have ads from the network, ads from another network, ads from the grocery store, ads from your car dealership, ads from your cable company, ads from your online services, ads from your apps etc.

Do you people like the Chinese robocalls offering you unlimited credit every single day? No? But it could benefit you, it could be worth it, what is the big deal.

I don't want ads, period. I made that VERY clear. Stop insisting on this, it's beyond annoying. Go get ad spam for yourselves if you love them so much because I don't and let this be the end of it.

@Anonymous  ya I hate ads to lol but via text for something free I'll put up with it 😝

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jb456 

To quote:

I couldn't care less for any sort of ads that sometimes could be to my advantage.

He doesn't care.

I use an adblocker on by main browser. I don't listen to commercial radio. I don't watch live tv. I get it. I hate ads too. But it really didn't need the response he gave. Oh well. It takes all kinds.

Shadowpt

@LurganIeUkNo, I've never been with any other network before PM, it is the only one so far.

@Shadowpt  before blocking 5179 I would suggest you think about it first.

Although I understand you received a text for Koodo Public Mobile uses 5179 for other marketing purposes.

Recently select people in Alberta and BC received a text from 5179 offering a 5gb add-on and others on a lower plan 1gig add-on with 1000 calling minutes. 

I would hate to see you miss out on a Public Mobile offer because you blocked 5179 texts.

Stay safe!

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Were you a previous Koodo customer that hasn’t realized you have left?

Shadowpt

I assure you I will not. I've been a happy PM client since start and I never changed my plan just to scrap an extra 1$ at the end of the month, I am happy with what I have.

Don't assume for others, it is disrespectful and uncalled for and it contributes for an hostile forum.

Shadowpt

I assure you that companies do care about threats of leaving when the numbers become significant. One client that is not a public figure? Sure, no dent there. 20% of the client base? Then they start listening. How to get there? Starts with one as always.

I expressed myself in the way this situation made me feel, unless that is not allowed then I don't see what point is there in you continuing to insist on that.

You could've not replied, clearly you didn't contribute with any solution at any time, you could've just not say anything and yet you still replied and all of this because of unauthorized spam messages.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowpt 

Wow. Telus owns Koodo and Public Mobile. It's not like you're getting ads from some enlargement outfit.

Then, if and when any freebies are handed out via that number, you'll be here screaming that you didn't get any.

First world problems.

@Shadowpt wrote:

Yes, seriously. I loathe ads and I do not want to be paying for a service where out of the blue they think it is OK to start sending them against my authorization.

@Shadowpt I don't doubt your dislike of ads. But don't you think a better approach would have been to say: "after over a year of PM service without any spam MMs's I got one today. How do I ensure I don't get anymore?"

Threatening to leave won't achieve anything other than making yourself feel better. We are all customers like you that help out where we can when problems arise. No one is going to treat you any better or differently or quicker because of threats.

Shadowpt

I couldn't care less for any sort of ads that sometimes could be to my advantage. They are annoying and undesirable and I want them gone, period.

If I couldn't turn them off I would've gone to another network today, that is how much I despise ads and I have 0 tolerance for them and more people should too so they don't abuse their own users any further, but that is just my opinion - like others also have the opposite opinion, in which case all ads should be opt-in by default so everyone is happy - whoever wants ads gets them, the others who don't want ads don't get them. Europe is already doing that for a few years already under some sort of Privacy Law (one side note is their paper waste has been drastically reduced as a result), maybe it'll get here one day too.

Thanks, replying with "unsubscribe" appears to work, but might take 10 days to take effect as per their info.

@Shadowpt wrote:

Yes, seriously. I loathe ads and I do not want to be paying for a service where out of the blue they think it is OK to start sending them against my authorization.

@Shadowpt   You should be able to unsubscribe from the 5179 service, but sometimes these offers are to your advantage, especially since PM just sent offers of free data/mins via 5179 to some customers in BC/Alberta and that text required a response to receive the free offer.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Shadowpt block the number 5179. Then you won't get a message from it. Stay safe. 

Shadowpt

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Shadowpt over a year with PM and no issues with these sorts of messages and all of a sudden you get ONE and are threatening to leave? Seriously?

Need Help? Let's chat.