cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS/MMS not working

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hello community, I have an error that is driving me nuts.

My texting, both SMS and MMS, stopped working around Wed night (Dec 2).  I noticed my sent texts would sit there trying to be sent out.  Here's what I tried:

- rebooting my phone several times

- clearing the messaging app cache

- trying two new messaging apps (Signal Private Messenger & Pulse SMS)

- checking my free space (I have over 10 GB free on my phone)

- voice calling - to and from my phone works fine

- I tested SMS and MMS texts to and from two other phones that I know work (I tested the two other phones texting and calling to each other and they are on different carriers)

- checked and rechecked, deleted and re-entered PM APN settings several times to no avail

This one is a head-scratcher.  I'm hoping to get this resolved quickly because I'm currently helping several individuals who are quarantined due to positive Covid-19 by delivering food and giving moral support via texting.

Thanks in advance.

43 REPLIES 43

@6500K 

@6500K wrote:

@Dunkman 

Oh boy, this one is going to be a tough one to try as I have many cached wifi settings from people I support.  I try not to log them in a database for security reasons, so I've been keeping them in my wifi cache.  Do you know of any way to extract this info so I can re-establish them?

Good question.  Beyond my technical knowledge.  May others may know.  

Just did a quick google search

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/smartphones/how-to-find-your-wifi-password-on-an-android-device/

Have you tried your Public mobile SIM card in another working phone?  Does texts work with another phone? It helps determine whether hardware setup issue versus PM service problem.

@JK8 , I may have to send the moderators a message for this.  I've tried the chatbot and it didn't have anything I hadn't tried already.  I did do a search of the forums but I couldn't quite find a satisfying solution.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll wait about an hour for more suggestions before contacting the moderators and logging a ticket.

@Dunkman 

Oh boy, this one is going to be a tough one to try as I have many cached wifi settings from people I support.  I try not to log them in a database for security reasons, so I've been keeping them in my wifi cache.  Do you know of any way to extract this info so I can re-establish them?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@6500K 

You might want to contact a moderator if you have exhausted all options.

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@6500K wrote:

Hi @Dunkman , my data works fine as I can youtube while my wifi is off.  I've been using data throughout today with good success outside my house.

What is a network reset?

@6500K 

Under your phone general settings, you should be able to do phone network resets.  

To reset network settings

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings

Resets the phone connects to cell network, wifi, etc.

IT will erase any Wifi passwords, bluetooth connections, etc.

Hi @esjliv , yes as stated in the OP, I have many cell phones in my family that I can test with and they are on different carriers.  My voice calls to and from my phone are flawless.

Thanks.

Hi @Triguy , I installed two other messaging apps (Signal and Pulse SMS).  Android 8.0 requires that your SMS app be the exclusive one so this did not work either.

Thanks.

Hi @Dunkman , my data works fine as I can youtube while my wifi is off.  I've been using data throughout today with good success outside my house.

What is a network reset?

Hi @JK8 , I did try airplane mode several times over the last few days for many minutes, and then back again.  Still didn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The SIM is working fine as I can call and my data works great.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@6500K ,

You are only mentioning texting issues...so calling in and out are okay?

Ensure you have the latest updates/software installed on your phone.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Try uninstalling and reinstall your messaging apps.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@6500K 

Did you try network reset?

Does your data work?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@6500K 

Try putting on airplane mode for a few minutes. Take off and reboot.

Did you put the SIM card in the other phones to see if it works?

Need Help? Let's chat.