cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: SMS/MMS not working

@Dunkman I already tried the network reset and it didn't work.

@JK8 I tried 3 other apps - Signal, Pulse and Google Messages

No luck so far.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@6500K 

Can you receive texts?

Can you delete one of your contacts and re-add the number with a 1 in front and try sending a text.

Hi @JK8 , I am using my work phone to test sending and receiving texts.  My work phone number already has a 1 in front of it.

When I boot my phone to safe mode texting works fine.  When I boot it to regular mode it stops sending and receiving texts.

I have now uninstalled all apps except for 4 that I paid for and need.  I rebooted it several times and it still doesn't fix my problem.  The mods tried to do a few things but nothing has worked so far, except for booting it into safe mode.  My last resort is to do a factory reset.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @6500K 

No idea if this would have any impact on your issue... BUT

If you have a Chat Settings under your Message settings, could they be set to "Chat" vs "Text(SMS)/MMS" or "Automatic"?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@6500K wrote:

Hi @JK8 , I am using my work phone to test sending and receiving texts.  My work phone number already has a 1 in front of it.

When I boot my phone to safe mode texting works fine.  When I boot it to regular mode it stops sending and receiving texts.

I have now uninstalled all apps except for 4 that I paid for and need.  I rebooted it several times and it still doesn't fix my problem.  The mods tried to do a few things but nothing has worked so far, except for booting it into safe mode.  My last resort is to do a factory reset.

If you have tried everything posted above along with the mods, I would do a factory reset. You have put that sim in another phone and it worked fine which means it is not an account problem but a phone problem.

Hi @HALIMACS , unfortunately there is no chat setting under my message app settings menu.  I wish it had something like that so I could try it but it looks like I will do a factory reset tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion.

@JK8 

Yeah that's what the mods suggested as well.  I have systematically done a lot of trouble shooting and it has come to the dreaded factory reset.  I'll post an update tomorrow when I do it.  The mods suggested the reset be done from the dialer instead of the menu item - didn't know you could do that.

The Solution:

At half past midnight I was about to factory reset my phone when I decided to check the Google Play store one last time to ensure my subscriptions were there.  I noticed there was an update for an app which puzzled me because I had uninstalled all my apps, except for the ones that came with the phone. 

The app was called "Carrier Services".  It sounded like something related to the communications part of the phone so I ran it.  Then I decided to reboot one last time.  When my phone booted up a ton of texts started coming in!  I sent a whole bunch to a few other phones and they seemed to all go through.

The next day I sent many texts to different people and received all their replies.

If you look at the reviews for this app you will notice that many of the recent ones complain about the same thing I went through.  Bad on you Google!

Needless to say, I am very happy this got resolved before I did the dreaded factory reset.  I really hope this saves someone from going through what I went through.

Big shout out to @gpixel4 who persevered with me through private messages and continued to send me suggestions on what to try next.  @gpixel4 deserves many bravoes for being an outstanding PM community citizen! 

[Zounds! persistence pays off .......... Luddite]

View solution in original post

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@6500K 

Glad you got it working. Do you have Google Play updates set to update automatically? I have mine set to update only on wifi(to save data). You should to. There are always updates to many apps on the phone and if you just update manually it could always pose problems.

I had a carrier update earlier today. 

Screenshot_20201210_203146.jpg

@Jb456 I have a combination of settings, some automatic and some manual.  I pretty much check everyday - it's a routine for me.  The Carrier Services app on my phone either got corrupted, or there were two updates recently (the first one broke my texting and the second one fixed it) - I cannot really say, but I have a feeling it was the latter due to the recent app reviews.

Need Help? Let's chat.