Mayor / Maire

Re: SIM won't connect in iPhone

Check your IMEI number here for blacklist. https://www.devicecheck.ca

Did you buy phone new or second hand?

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious wrote:

is it possible its been locked out of the telus network ? Lol....like the opposite of being locked to a network? Is this even possible? @sheytoon do you know anything on this subject?

What you allude to is the whitelisting of IMEIs before a device can register onto the network with a particular SIM.  As far as I know, no Canadian carrier has ever had a requirement for devices to be "white-listed" before they can be used.  This is something that Verizon (and possibly Sprint) does (IMEI must be recognized/certified to work on their network before it's allowed to register onto it with a Verizon SIM).

@RyGirl wrote:

Update... my Bell SIM no longer works in this iPhone XR.  I haven't re-tested the Rogers SIM yet, but this leads me to think their is something physically wrong with the phone.

I tried a Koodoo SIM today with no luck.  I'm going to re-try a Rogers SIM again for entertainment purposes, but I think my next stop is to the Apple store to see if they can confirm if their is a hardware issue related to the cell/network part of the phone.

Your assessment is very reasonable, based on your update (as are suggestions about it being black-listed, which are plausible).  If it's not black-listed, then it sounds like maybe an intermittent issue with the radio (hopefully not), or antenna connection (a bit easier to overcome, if it's a popped connector for example).

The ability to connect on Rogers might suggest a stronger signal or tower in closer proximity (compared to Telus tower), so that even with impaired antenna, it's connecting.  But, without details, that's just speculation.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@RyGirl 

It starting to sound like @sheytoon  may be correct that your device is slowly getting blacklisted from carrier to carrier. How did you acquire the phone?

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

The newness of @RyGirl  phone tells me it was UNLOCKED at time of purchase. 

Need Help? Let's chat.