cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM won't connect in iPhone

RyGirl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I cannot get my iPhone XR working with my new Public Mobile SIM I ordered from PM last week (love the $5 promo).

I tried everything:

- The iPhone has the latest software (iOS 13.6.1)

- I tried "Reset Network Setting" (multiple times)

- I've rebooted, re-inserted SIM, Wi-Fi on/off, Airplane mode, etc, etc - no luck

- The phone is unlocked according to IMEI24.com

- Cellular Data is on and Network Selection shows as Public Mobile.

- It shows the 4 bars on the top right corner of the screen.  At points I've seen it show LTE and 3G too.

SIM tests:

1. I tried the SIM card from the iPhone in my android phone and it works fine.  It's not the SIM.

2. I tried 2 other working Public Mobile SIM cards in the iPhone - it didn't work.

3. I tried a Bell SIM card in the iPhone and it worked right away.

Why O why will Public Mobile SIM cards not work in this iPhone?

43 REPLIES 43

RyGirl

Yup. Compatible and not blacklisted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyGirl wrote:

Devicecheck.ca confirms it's not lost/stolen or blacklisted.  As for Get Started, I did everything (I setup an android phone the same day with no issues).

Did you open up the little compatibility checker arrow and below that is the lost/stolen checker for this place.

@RyGirl wrote:

No luck signing in/out of Apple ID.

The sim card is brand new, purchased directly from Public Mobile.  I bought 2 and my other activation (on an android phone) worked with no issues.

The sim cards are fine...something is amiss with your phone. Go to the top of this page and click Get Started, then scroll down to make sure phone is Compatible and you can check if it's been blacklisted somehow.

RyGirl

Devicecheck.ca confirms it's not lost/stolen or blacklisted.  As for Get Started, I did everything (I setup an android phone the same day with no issues).

Also, I just got off online chat with Bell.  The confirmed for me that my device is NOT locked to them.  The had no record of my IMEI.

I'm back to square 1.  I have 3 different PM SIM cards that do not work on this iPhone, but my Bell SIM (I use for work) does.  I guess I'll try a Rogers SIM for "fun".

P.S. The iPhone XR is pretty new (1.5yrs I think).  Shouldn't all recently new phones be unlocked in Canada now?

RyGirl

No luck signing in/out of Apple ID.

The sim card is brand new, purchased directly from Public Mobile.  I bought 2 and my other activation (on an android phone) worked with no issues.

@RyGirl  sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RyGirl wrote:

Thanks for the quick replies.

I bought the phone used (Kijiji), but it's in mint condition and the person claims it was unlocked.  I've tried 2 different IMEI online services and both indicate it's unlocked.

I'll guess try contacting Bell and report back here.

Did you check devicecheck.ca or even the checker under Get Started up top?

RyGirl

Thanks for the quick replies.

I bought the phone used (Kijiji), but it's in mint condition and the person claims it was unlocked.  I've tried 2 different IMEI online services and both indicate it's unlocked.

I'll guess try contacting Bell and report back here.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@RyGirl 

Make sure that your phone is unlocked. May want to call Bell to make sure.   

If unlocked, maybe sign out of your Apple ID and sign back in.  Is your eSIM card activated previously?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Was your iPhone used with another provider ?  Sounds like your phone maybe locked.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@RyGirl it seems that you phone may be locked to Bell. Contact them and ask them to unlock it for you.

Then sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered, if not, go to step 6)
6. Disconnect and restart. From @luddite.

Welcome to PM. Stay safe. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Try Airplane mode for a minute...then turn Airplane mode off. Restart phone.

I see you've tried that !

Sounds like maybe it's still locked to a previous cell network then.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@RyGirl This may seem like a silly question, but are you positive the phone is unlocked? What was the last provider (Bell perhaps?) /  where did you get the phone?

Welcome to PM, I'm sure you will get the correct help in no time.

Need Help? Let's chat.