cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card swap

shnazzyjazzy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I'd recently got my phone stolen and have purchased a new one, I would like to swap my sim card over to the new phone, I have the sim card already.

21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trevorobrecht : Right. Suggestions that have long since been made. I think the 4 digit PIN would do it. But things move at a snails pace around so don't hold your breath.

trevorobrecht

I would recommend starting with a piece of information that is not visible anywhere in your account settings/dashboard, requiring that to be set at registration and input when performing self serve actions. Something akin to a password but obviously it would need to be separate from the compromised password. 2FA wouldn't work in the case of stolen or damaged phones/SIMs but an account PIN or series of security questions would be suffice IMHO.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trevorobrecht : "community moderators" are the customer service reps that can do whatever in your account.

Unlike forum moderators.

So how can a self-serve system defend against that?

trevorobrecht

Oh I wish it were true, but no reply as of yet. I'm sorry but I don't see how taking the control of my account away from me and putting it in the hands of a less qualified "community moderator" is going to help prevent any sort of SIM fraud. Whoever implemented that system has a fundamental misunderstanding of how SIM fraud works.

Edit: For clarification, all of the information required to fill out the verification forum for the SIM swap is visible while signed in. If somebody wanted to commit fraud they would hack into your account. Regardless of whether you have the ability to immediately process it yourself or not, the hacker would still be able to commit the fraud by filling out the verification forum and following all the steps in your new system. It solves nothing, and creates a POTENTIAL 48 hour delay for a problem which for the past decade has taken under 1 hour to fix.

trevorobrecht

Whoever thought switching to a 48 hour window, community moderator run SIM swapping system, as an effective means to combat SIM fraud or whatever is certainly an idiot. I digress, I like your list, you said it best.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@trevorobrecht : Read it again. Something about _up_ to 48 hours. We used to be able to do it ourselves but after too many fraudulent swaps, here we are. Blame the fraudsters.

For all we know, by the time of me posting this, you're probably done the swap from the moderators.

@trevorobrecht wrote:

I'm literally changing service providers because of this. 15 years working for bell, I have performed tens of thousands of SIM swaps. My phone fell in water this morning, and 10+ business calls were lost today because the 48 hour turn around on swaps. I know for a fact that I was able to swap customers sims in under 10 minutes, why should we wait two entire days? You made me lose money, patience, and respect. **bleep**ing morons.

You guys are absolute idiots. Sim swaps take 5 minutes, unacceptable to ask a customer whos phone is broken or stolen to wait 2 business days to have service again. SIM swaps take seconds, some times minutes. Never hours, NEVER days. **bleep**ing jokers.

@trevorobrecht first of all we are not all "**bleep**ing morons."  Some of us are just **bleep**ing imbeciles

Idiots. —Those so defective that the mental development never exceeds that or a normal child of about two years.
Imbeciles. —Those whose development is higher than that of an idiot, but whose intelligence does not exceed that of a normal child of about seven years.
Morons. —Those whose mental development is above that of an imbecile, but does not exceed that of a normal child of about twelve years.
— Edmund Burke Huey, Backward and Feeble-Minded Children, 1912

trevorobrecht

You guys are absolute idiots. Sim swaps take 5 minutes, unacceptable to ask a customer whos phone is broken or stolen to wait 2 business days to have service again. SIM swaps take seconds, some times minutes. Never hours, NEVER days.

trevorobrecht

I'm literally changing service providers because of this. 15 years working for bell, I have performed tens of thousands of SIM swaps. My phone fell in water this morning, and 10+ business calls were lost today because the 48 hour turn around on swaps. I know for a fact that I was able to swap customers sims in under 10 minutes, why should we wait two entire days? You made me lose money, patience, and respect.

@shnazzyjazzy wrote:

Similar information being what? I don't have a credit card so 

@shnazzyjazzy 

Anything else that could verify your account is yours:

• account 4-digit PIN
  • name on the account
  • security questions set up on the account
  • last payment made on the account
  • etc. etc

shnazzyjazzy

Similar information being what? I don't have a credit card so 

@shnazzyjazzy wrote:

My phone was stolen recently so I cannot use the sms verification feature. I have no credit card associated with my account and I use top up vouchers to pay, so I cannot fill out the last 4 digits of my credit card. I've never purchased an add on addition for my account so I can't fill out that either, I'm trying to swap my sim card out for a new one, and have no access to my old phone.

Moderators can also be contacted by clicking on About Moderator_Team - Community (publicmobile.ca) , but you're still going to have to provide similar type of information to the mdoerators to prove that the account is yours.

shnazzyjazzy

My phone was stolen recently so I cannot use the sms verification feature. I have no credit card associated with my account and I use top up vouchers to pay, so I cannot fill out the last 4 digits of my credit card. I've never purchased an add on addition for my account so I can't fill out that either, I'm trying to swap my sim card out for a new one, and have no access to my old phone.

@shnazzyjazzy  try again now, Self-Serve site is up and running now.  And it is a LOT faster after the maintenance 

@shnazzyjazzy 

Public Mobile was doing system maintenance which may have affected your login preferences. 

You may notice you'll be able to login to both your self serve account and your community profile if you try again now.

Here's the announcement link:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/System-maintenance-From-April-18-2021-0...

@shnazzyjazzy ,

Your Community Account is separate from your Self Serve Account.

In order to submit a ticket using SIMon Bot you need a Self Serve Account.

Have you registered for a Self Serve account yet? 

You can do that here: https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/self-registration/

You need to have activated a Public Mobile SIM card to create this.

If you only have a Community Account so far, and you need to submit a ticket to the Moderators by this link:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

Did i understand the issue correctly? What is the issue that you want to Submit a Ticket for? Maybe the Community Forum can help?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

You can completely log out by clearing all cookies/cache and/or you can try logging in a new Private/Incognito browser window as well.  You shouldn't need to create a new account. 

When you get to logging in to your Public Mobile account (to prove who you are) - try your email address at that point. 🙂

shnazzyjazzy

I have issues logging in, whenever I try I'm given "Error logging in" and when I press "create new account" I'm automatically logged in, but cannot find the submit ticket location1.PNG2.PNG

I am redirected to the community page after I click "create new profile"

shnazzyjazzy

I have issues logging in, whenever I try I'm given "Error logging in" and when I press "create new account" I'm automatically logged in, but cannot find the submit ticket location1.PNG2.PNG

I am redirected to the community page after I click "create new profile"

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@shnazzyjazzy wrote:

Hi there, I'd recently got my phone stolen and have purchased a new one, I would like to swap my sim card over to the new phone, I have the sim card already.

@shnazzyjazzy 

If you have not already done so, perhaps you could report your phone lost/stolen until you hear back from the Moderators that they completed your SIM swap.

1. Go to “Plan and Add-Ons” TAB
  2. Select "Lost/Stolen Phone" TAB
  3. Select "Suspend Service" Button

See info here:https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @shnazzyjazzy 

You'll need Moderator's help to change the SIM on your account.

To change your SIM card, please submit a ticket here and follow the instructions as per this announcement: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

If unable to submit a ticket, alternative option is to send a private message to Moderator_Team here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.