cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Swap fraud

Mrliu89c
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

my phone stopped working since Saturday and cannot receive any phone calls or using data.

checked on my account, the last 4 digit of my SIM showing on my account is different than the one from my physical SIM card. This should be a SIM Swap fraud case.

I suspended my service right away.

Raised ticket to the Moderator and sent private message. So far, they haven't solved my case yet.

and i saw a lot of postings for the same issue. 

i think this could be either a customer data privacy breach from Public mobile's end, or someone from internal is selling clients data.

i hope this issue get solved soon, cause I have losing faith in public mobile. the most important thing for a wireless provider is to protect client's personal data. 

any other way i can solve this situation?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11

@cmc4141 wrote:

I suggest PUBLIC mobile add a password protection on the register SIM card option.  The password should not allow the same as the account password.  If someone hacked into your account, they still need another password to change the SIM card number.

I know that you're just trying to come up with an idea, but I'm not sure that would work. if someone has your self serve password, that person is going to be able to make changes to the SIM change password or would be able to get the moderators to change it.

cmc4141

I suggest PUBLIC mobile add a password protection on the register SIM card option.  The password should not allow the same as the account password.  If someone hacked into your account, they still need another password to change the SIM card number.

bettypoprocket

This just happened to me yesterday, so it is still happening with Public Mobile.

My service disappeared on my phone for a number of hours. I logged in to my community account and filed a service ticket. I have never had anything like this happen to me before, with any phone company. I received two phone calls following this (after my service came back on) telling me that I'd been subject to SIM swap fraud, providing me contact details if I have any questions about it, and to check all my accounts, etc. How did they know it was SIM swap fraud - I have never even heard of this. I have a gut feeling that something is going on here that customers aren't being told about.

@b_a_joshi wrote:

I have similar situation happened today, initiated ticket

Done all steps and changed with other phone but not working, checked SIM number with Public mobile information which is not matching. So I guess SIM is compromised.

I have questions

How it can happened and what precaution I need to take?

Is it possible it happens because of Public mobile data compromised?

This happens when some gains access to your Public Mobile online self serve account. Your best protection is a good password.

b_a_joshi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have similar situation happened today, initiated ticket

Done all steps and changed with other phone but not working, checked SIM number with Public mobile information which is not matching. So I guess SIM is compromised.

I have questions

How it can happened and what precaution I need to take?

Is it possible it happens because of Public mobile data compromised?

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Mrliu89c  No doubt you have sorted this problem already. For future reference in answer to your question: "any other way i can solve this situation?", you can just get a new SIM and Change SIM in your account, then remove the Suspended Service. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Mrliu89c 

While this won't prevent simjacking (as this requires account access) it will help prevent porting fraud. Change either the spelling of your name or your name altogether. Change it to Eugene Levy or Catherine O'hara. You could do this every few months if you are worried there has been account access.....changing your password at the same time. Keep an extra sim card on hand.....if you don't use it for a friends referral if a simjacking occurs again you can suspend your service, change your password and change your sim card. You've cut off the fraudster.

Mrliu89c

i checked in all of my financial accounts and changed the password.

also changed my password with public mobile.

trust me, my password is so complicated and my security question and answers are almost impossible to guess.

it is crazy that public mobile had so many people reporting SIM issues and they haven't make any public announcement yet.

people won't stay with them if all they can offer are few $dollars cheaper but no protection of personal data.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I doubt the Telus database was breeched but someone might have guessed your security question such as fav color. Usually with this fraud someone calls support and pretends they’re you, in this case they might have convinced a mod they were you. If you want to see how secure your password is you can use the link below.

https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Also choose a harder to guess security question like your fav color is pizza or something.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Mrliu89c  You are correct that there seems to be a lot of this going around right now. Make sure if your number was used anywhere for 2FA that you change passwords of accounts and notify banks and credit card companies as required.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup. Quite a spate of them in the last while. I also suspect a data breach. There was one in Koodo a while back. Maybe since Koodo and PM share things internally, PM got swept into it as well.

All conjecture.

We have all been saying to the company that they must implement something to protect customers. Otherwise, it's basically them aiding and abetting a fraud.

For a mysteriously short few days, they had a final confirmation text to porting out. But this is the SIM-swap problem. Someone had to have logged in to your account using your login credentials and had a SIM at hand and simply did the swap. Now they're on your account. Now they can do some damage.

So, good you suspended your service. But I hope you also changed the password. As otherwise they could just get in again and unsuspend and then port out anyway as you won't see the port-out warning. (not a confirmation)

And of course check all your financials for any losses.

Need Help? Let's chat.