cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM / Phone Number Compromised - Help !

wanderer11
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Need help on a SIM card / Phone issue. Got a call from my bank saying they locked my account because it has been compromised. Appearently someone tried to get a new SIM with my exisitng phone number and logged into my online banking. Any way for me to trace is someone contacted Public Mobile to activate a new SIM. Also is my current SIM card at risk ? Should I be changing it ?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

wanderer11

@computergeek541 

You are most likely right. I think the employee was giving his best guess, but what concerned me is that they were telling me under which IP address the hack was attempted and that it was showing up under the Telus network. The bank was not aware of which phone provider I had. I think I'll just switched the SIM to be sure, also getting a new bank card today. Thanks to everyone for the solution offers, hoping its a one off.

@wanderer11 wrote:

Need help on a SIM card / Phone issue. Got a call from my bank saying they locked my account because it has been compromised. Appearently someone tried to get a new SIM with my exisitng phone number and logged into my online banking. Any way for me to trace is someone contacted Public Mobile to activate a new SIM. Also is my current SIM card at risk ? Should I be changing it ?

Your bank has no way to know that someone was trying to take over your Public Mobile account. Public Mobile wouldn't share that information with them.  That part is likely a misunderstanding or the bank employee is making some nonsense explanation up. Banks also don't usually use the phone number as the username to for online banking. Usually, the bank card number is used.

I am not doubting that you bank called.  However, the only thing that they would know would be someone tried to get into your online banking account.  If someone entered the correct online banking creditials, it's likely that your bank sent you some confirmation code to make sure that it was you. All the bank knows is that the login and verification attempt failed.  The bank knows nothing about your Public Mobile service, nor they even know your carrier unless you tell them.

I am guessing that this issue isn't related to Public Mobile's service.

@wanderer11If your SIM is suspected to be hijacked, then spend the $10 and replace the SIM card (resetting your phone won't achieve anything SIM related) and change the SIM card via your online account.

The only security "feature" I can think of the secure your SIM card is to deliberately mistype your name on the account, so the fraudster will need to guess your name on your account in order for porting to go through.

HOW TO CHANGE YOUR SIM CARD #HOW TO CHANGE YOUR SIM CARD #

wanderer11

No issues with my phone, still getting calls and texts. The call definetaly came from my bank but I will contact the moderators for opening up a ticket. I did a factory reset on my phone for now but the whole situation seems a little strange to be honest. The person at the banks fraud department said that the SIM may have been hijacked. Thanks for your input guys.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi wanderer11,

If you need further help, you can register a ticket through SIMon, our virutal assistant and we will take a look into your situation!

Regards,

Ciprian

PM Mod Team.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@wanderer11First of all does your Public Mobile account ie online / call receive etc work? If everything works, it sounds like a fraudster (move to the next step)

Second CALL BACK to your bank, to make sure it is your bank not a fraudster.

Third if it is your bank then change your SIM card etc and also make a report to the Canadian Anti Fraud centre http://www.antifraudcentre-centreantifraude.ca/index-eng.htm

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@wanderer11 If you got simjacked them your phone would be displaying no service and you would not be able to access you selfserve account.

If you can still access selfserve and you can still use your phone then something else is going on. 

Are you sure it was the bank calling? Sounds like your phone or email must be compromised.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@wanderer11 

I am not a cybersecurity expert, but it sounds like that you might be a victim of SIM hijacking, when somebody activates your number on a SIM card in their possession.  Any issues with your phone presently?  Are you able to use your phone?  Texts or calls?  

If your phone number is working, your SIM card should be fine at the present time.  I may suggest changing your password for your Public mobile self service account.  You can contact a moderator as described above to see whether somebody recently tried to port your number to another mobile.  They would need your PM account number, phone number and account holder name.  

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@wanderer11 Either way, I would get @CS_Agent involved as they are the only ones that can see server side activity.

Creating a support ticket:
Explain your issue to SIMON, seen below:

simon.PNG

Use as few words as possible to allow the BOT to understand. Answer his questions until you get here:

Simon2.png

Click on "Submit a ticket" and the Moderator team will respond to your concern, usually within 48 hours.

Alternatively, you may send a private message to moderator through the following link :
Contact @Moderator_Team

About @Moderator_Team
Moderator Hours
Monday-Friday: 8AM- 12AM EST
Saturday & Sunday: 8AM-10PM EST

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

The only thing I can think of is if this is a new account and you tried numerous times to activate it. This type of activity is often flagged by the bank. In this case, the intruder might be YOU?

Need Help? Let's chat.