cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM HACKED

channinglaine14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all. Found out my SIM card was hacked into, and therefore my paypal etc have unauthorized transactions. I'd never heard of this before. Anyways, I got a new SIM card and also changed my number. Wondering if there are any other steps I need to take and how to avoid this bs in the future. Thank you

37 REPLIES 37

@italocan wrote:

@RosieRI'm really curious about your suggestion about not using your real name on your account. Do you mean to go in and change your real name within the account? How does using an alias prevent the SIM from being hacked?

Thanks for the help!

Hi @italocan changing your name on your account will not prevent your sim from being hacked but they will find it difficult to get into your bank accounts and other financial accounts and would help protect against your number being ported out to another carrier, since the name on the account has to match exactly per @Nezgar above.

So if your are interested in changing your name, here is how...

> Log in your self serve account https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/

> Click My Profile tab

> Change your name

Do Not change your address because your address must be the same as the registered credit card to your account

> Click Save

change profile name.png

I hope this helps.  Seasons greetings 🎄🎄🎄

@alleycrai  mods lately have been able to switch your account back to your current sim when a sim jack happens. Well at least I've read a few occasions that they have done this.

If you do get a new sim then DO NOT active it.

You have to click change sim card in your account and your info will be on new card.

Green arrow on picture below.

Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

@alleycrai wrote:

I do hope the mods get back to me soon, I the mean time I'm out to buy a new SIM. Thanks for your concern everyone. 

If the mods get back to you, they will re-instate your existing SIM and you don't have to buy a new one... unless you really need to get it going ASAP yes buying a new SIM is one route...

Sorry to hear... I'm currently trying to figure out how I can get my cell number OFF of my PayPal account...

alleycrai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Nezgar 

I've been a TELUS, Koodo, PC and Public Mobile customer. I want to say I've been with Public for at least 3-4 years...

I do hope the mods get back to me soon, I the mean time I'm out to buy a new SIM. Thanks for your concern everyone. 

@alleycrai wrote:

This was a unique password (at least I can't think of anywhere else I've used it). So either my password was leaked or someone with access to  TELUS/Public Mobile terminal changed my SIM. 

Now that is very interesting info if it was not used elsewhere.

This was what was written about a Koodo data breach back in March that is another possibilty:

"the third-party copied data from August and September 2017 that included some customers’ account numbers and telephone numbers"

https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/06/koodo-data-breach-account-phone-numbers/

Were you a customer in 2017? Even though they say Koodo, Public Mobile shares some of the same backend systems...

@alleycrai wrote:

my email does show up in some breaches. Mostly very old ones where I've since changed my password. The only recent one was cit0day-breach which happened just last month. If TELUS was part of that breach they should have reviewed the data and locked up my account. I know they've locked up user accounts in past data leaks. 

🤔

Frightening thing is - once they have my phone number for 2FA. They could get in to email accounts via 'forgot password' links, and from there bank, crypto, store accounts, stock trading. 

@alleycrai  That is why it's best to use an authenticator app or secret question/answer function if available instead of text/phone 2FA. The most secure method is using a hardware token method. Hopefully banks will support it in the future.

I think the guy who did this is just after Paypal, if they were smarter they could steal thousands that I would never see again...

Beware of the dark web

@italocan wrote:

I'm really curious about your suggestion about not using your real name on your account. Do you mean to go in and change your real name within the account? How does using an alias prevent the SIM from being hacked?

If your self-serve account is compromised by someone guessing your e-mail address and password, that's all that is needed to change your SIM card.

Changing your name on the account would help protect against your number being ported out to another carrier, since the name on the account has to match exactly...

alleycrai

@Jb456

I appreciate the concern. I work in the telecom industry and I observe safe practices. This was a unique password (at least I can't think of anywhere else I've used it). So either my password was leaked or someone with access to  TELUS/Public Mobile terminal changed my SIM. 

@alleycrai wrote:

my email does show up in some breaches. Mostly very old ones where I've since changed my password. The only recent one was cit0day-breach which happened just last month. If TELUS was part of that breach they should have reviewed the data and locked up my account. I know they've locked up user accounts in past data leaks. 

The idea here was if your email address + password was found in breaches on other websites that were compromised, and if you used the same password for your Public Mobile selfserve login...

italocan

@RosieRI'm really curious about your suggestion about not using your real name on your account. Do you mean to go in and change your real name within the account? How does using an alias prevent the SIM from being hacked?

Thanks for the help!

alleycrai

Frightening thing is - once they have my phone number for 2FA. They could get in to email accounts via 'forgot password' links, and from there bank, crypto, store accounts, stock trading. 

I think the guy who did this is just after Paypal, if they were smarter they could steal thousands that I would never see again...

@alleycrai  remember the internet is like a portal into you're life. You have to protect yourself as best you can to avoid these hackers/scammers that do this all day everyday. 

That means:

• Using strong passwords
  • Not having all accounts -email, social media, banks, etc the same password
  • Locking down social media to private that only select people can see your stuff
  • Not attaching everything to one email

There are many things you could do to try to fight against the online world to have more protection.

Keep in mind that some websites / companies do at times have breaches of security because of hackers. So if all accounts you use same password and you're a member of one site that was a victim of a breach in security. Then right there a hacker may have a password of yours and just keeps trying it on other sites to see if they get lucky.

Go to this site.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

See if a thing comes up about your email.

I also noticed in one of your old posts that your wifes with Koodo (or was) were you with them in the past? They've had a few breaches of security in the past where personal information was obtained by hackers. So it could be they had info about you already. Not saying that is the case but just an example.

Then you have to worry about phishing scams, grey area sites (like move stream sites) and all other suspicious sites that you may accidentally download something that turns out to be a virus /Keylogger tracking every keystroke you do on the keyboard.

The internet can be a scary place!

@Jb456 wrote:

@Nezgar  oppsie haha. Thank you! I edited that post probably should have read the entire thing.

I went and removed the address after being tagged.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Nezgar  oppsie haha. Thank you! I edited that post probably should have read the entire thing.

@Jb456 wrote:

You just posted personal information on a public forum and everyone can see it!!.

The address posted was what the hacker changed it to, it's not  @alleycrai 's actual address...

@alleycrai wrote:

Thing is - if they had access to my self serve account, why didn't they change the password to keep me locked out? That's the first thing they did when accessing my Paypal account. 

They probably didn't care about your Public Mobile account once they got the texts from PayPal allowing them to change the PayPal password, and transfer out any balance you might have had there...

PayPal account password changing seems to be the primary driver behind a lot of these hacks.

Check your email address against https://haveibeenpwned.com/

alleycrai

Same thing happened to me today. Messaged the mods hours ago but haven't heard back. I need to know how this was compromised. The only way I can see this happening is through the self serve account or at a Public Mobile terminal. 

Thing is - if they had access to my self serve account, why didn't they change the password to keep me locked out? That's the first thing they did when accessing my Paypal account. 

Address on my Paypal account was changed to 

Edited by ShawnC13: Removed address

I'm curious to know if other in this thread who had their accounts compromised also saw address changes to the Montreal area?

lucki

@RosieR thank you!

@lucki wrote:

@RosieR I have changed the name from your suggestion, currently this is the only way to prevent the port-out phone number when the sim jacked. thank you.

@lucki you are very welcome.  Have a happy holiday season 🎅🎄❄❄❄❄

Don't forget the get your PM More is Merrier is back: Free gifts for all!

lucki

@RosieR I have changed the name from your suggestion, currently this is the only way to prevent the port-out phone number when the sim jacked. thank you.

@geopublic wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

Pm should really have a mechanism to "lock" accounts from being ported out without authorization. This has come up time and time again with no change to my knowledge? 

@jor123 @geopublic  SIM jacking does not require the number be ported out. With access to an account the SIM is replaced with another PM SIM used in the criminal's phone.

@Luddite  My understanding is that SIM Jacking is when someone takes over one's number by porting out the number to another provider. SIM swapping is when the the hacker/criminal takes over a number by switching the SIM card number on the same provider.

With many Banks, CC and online companies delaying 2FA via text for 48 hours many hackers/criminals have switched to the SIM swapping method as a result.

SIM swapping is also the preferred method for hackers/criminals when there is an internal breach or a known vulnerability with a provider's system.

Sorry to be pedantic... but "SIM jacking" and "SIM swapping" are the same thing - the active SIM card is changed for the account. The service and phone number remain on the original account, but the service starts being provided on the faudster's SIM card.

"Port-out fraud" is when the phone number is ported-out to an entirely different carrier. The account at PM would normally be closed down. This now generates a confirmation text message to the the active SIM and requires a "YES" response within 90 minutes as of the last month or so.

@lucki wrote:

@will13am @channinglaine14  Unfortunately, Yesterday I just experienced the same bad thing as you. I have to by a new SIM card to make my phone work normally. My money was also stolen from Paypal.
Of course, change the password to a strong password is better.

Hi @lucki sorry to hear your phone got sim jacked too.  Terrible thing this is.  I'm just glad that you knew what to do.  May I suggest that you also don't use your real name on your account.. use an alias like Alice Inwonderland or Kermit Dafrog etc.

Best wishes and season's greetings.

lucki

@will13am @channinglaine14  Unfortunately, Yesterday I just experienced the same bad thing as you. I have to by a new SIM card to make my phone work normally. My money was also stolen from Paypal.
Of course, change the password to a strong password is better.

@Luddite wrote:

@jor123 wrote:

Pm should really have a mechanism to "lock" accounts from being ported out without authorization. This has come up time and time again with no change to my knowledge? 

@jor123 @geopublic  SIM jacking does not require the number be ported out. With access to an account the SIM is replaced with another PM SIM used in the criminal's phone.

@Luddite  My understanding is that SIM Jacking is when someone takes over one's number by porting out the number to another provider. SIM swapping is when the the hacker/criminal takes over a number by switching the SIM card number on the same provider.

With many Banks, CC and online companies delaying 2FA via text for 48 hours many hackers/criminals have switched to the SIM swapping method as a result.

SIM swapping is also the preferred method for hackers/criminals when there is an internal breach or a known vulnerability with a provider's system.

@jor123 wrote:

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

channinglaine14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

TOTALLY agree.

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@channinglaine14  In most cases the first thing that gets hacked is one's email. If you keep emails with username password Information game over. If the hacker gets ahold of your PM account or PIN info then they can port out your number and then the nightmare begins. You should secure your email account and try to get back your number ASAP.

@channinglaine14 NEVER EVER use your phone number as 2FA or forgotten password retrieval method. NEVER. If you have used it on any other accounts, change it. Use an authenticator app (which PayPal supports). That way people can have your phone number all they want, it won't do them any good as they cannot get into any of your accounts. Here is a reply I gave to another thread about this, you may find it worth a read:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/pretty-sure-i-got-hacked/m-p/58507...

Need Help? Let's chat.