cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM HACKED

channinglaine14
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all. Found out my SIM card was hacked into, and therefore my paypal etc have unauthorized transactions. I'd never heard of this before. Anyways, I got a new SIM card and also changed my number. Wondering if there are any other steps I need to take and how to avoid this bs in the future. Thank you

37 REPLIES 37

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@channinglaine14 wrote:

Hello all. Found out my SIM card was hacked into, and therefore my paypal etc have unauthorized transactions. I'd never heard of this before. Anyways, I got a new SIM card and also changed my number. Wondering if there are any other steps I need to take and how to avoid this bs in the future. Thank you

Did you use your phone number to log into PayPal? I never use my phone number for logins or for 2 factor. I do have 2 factor though. 

channinglaine14

My Paypal and online banking have all been locked until I can figure this out. It was hacked because my phone stopped working and they've used my number to get into my Paypal and make unauthorized purchases. 

channinglaine14

This is the only place I have this username, and no it's not my name that I use on any platform. Thanks though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@channinglaine14 , the first thing you need to do if you have not done so already is to secure your self serve account.  Change the password to a strong password.  Technically it is your self serve account that was hacked, not the SIM card.  The hacker replaced your SIM card with one in their possession which allowed them to use your phone number.  As for next steps, make sure that all accounts using 2 factor authentication are secured with a new passwords that are different from the one you use in the self serve account.  Contact all service providers to make sure that there are no unauthorized transactions.  

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@channinglaine14 

there was a data breach(Koodo) back in February that released accounts and phone numbers and possibly passwords this also includes Telus and public mobile

call your bank and let them know what happene

call Equifax to restrict any accounts from being made

change all your passwords. keep your public mobile password different than your email etc.

change your 2fa phone number to something other than your personal phone number.

go to haveibeenpwned.com to see the websites with data breaches tied to that email

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@channinglaine14  If you have unauthorized PP transactions I would start by securing your PP password and using an authenticator app for 2FA. How do you know your sim was hacked? Did your phone stop working?

Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Sucks.

Step 1: Is your name as shown in your username? Maybe stop creating usernames using anything real. Anywhere.

Need Help? Let's chat.