Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM DOESNT MATCH MY ACCOUNT

sofxmala
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My sim number doesn’t match my account... who do I contact asap

i don’t have service 

14 REPLIES 14

or the simple method would be to say 'email' instead of 'username'. I'm sure they can change the text on the webpage pretty easily

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : It's a back door. It hasn't been disabled. It warns that only one of the addresses will be changed. It only wants an email address.

And who doesn't like Peking Duck for lunch? Fascists? 🙂 And no I'm not worried about the precious sensitivities of any fascist snowflakes reading this.

@HALIMACS 

That's why having a couple of $1.99 sim cards from CCS  hanging out in a drawer only makes sense to me....of course I have more than few as every few months I'm replacing the bf's due to his own incompetence....to me its a no brainer to have extras for any reason.

@Anonymous 

I thought pm had disabled that feature due to the confusion it caused making the user think they had changed the email (both front end/backend) completely. How hard would it be for pm to change it so it uses not an email as username but just a username ie "I2H8PekingDuck4Lunch?!!" ?

@darlicious wrote:

@HALIMACS 

Unless the simjacker changes the phone number (which would defeat the purpose) changing the sim card with a new one by the OP will immediately restore the services back to the OP. As long as they have changed their password the account is relatively secure at that point.

@darlicious ,   Of course it would.  I must have got lost in trying to save the OP a few bucks by suggesting letting the Moderators re-assign the number to their existing SIM.

I will edit/strikeout my original entry.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : There's a back door method to change the login userid (email address). But there's still the internal account one. And the password reset still goes to the internal address. So the customer would have to be sure to maintain both addresses. And I don't know if the community-account link uses the internal one or not.

But yes, for internal account purposes, that could be a useful protection.

@HALIMACS 

Unless the simjacker changes the phone number (which would defeat the purpose) changing the sim card with a new one by the OP will immediately restore the services back to the OP. As long as they have changed their password the account is relatively secure at that point.

@sofxmala should create a new email account to be used for pm only and have the moderators change the email on the account along with the community account so that they match.  It would be nice if pm would restore the ability to change the email/username for login ( like your online banking username) to make exceptionally difficult for a hacker to access the account....(like duh?!!)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sofxmala : Click the subject line of these messages to open the whole conversation. You made your own thread earlier here <-click this when you get into this thread. The above post is also helpful.

@sofxmala 

did you check the to confirm no SIM swapping occurred:

In your Self Service account, choose Change Sim Card.
Confirm the Sim Card's last 4 digits match what is shown on your SIM card.

If they do not match and you still have access to your Self-Serve account, put your phone in lost/stolen mode and change the password. Then check and secure all your financials (banks, paypals) and email (It is best to change password at this point especially if the same password is used across PM Self-serve and your other logons).

Now, you need to contact the moderator to sort the situations

1. For faster response (2 to 48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right corner and request moderator assistance, or you can also use this direct link instead https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/, then select Account-specific issue, then select I need a human now. Follow the prompts to submit a ticket.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the moderator here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

sofxmala
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I have been affected hey this. What do I do?

@benfatto wrote:

@sofxmala  You can wait for moderator assistance or get a new SIM and change it in your account. 
Whatever approach you use at least immediately change the password of your account. 

I don't believe that will secure the OP's return of their original number though.  It's already being utilized by someone else.   [strike-out by HALIMACS due to incorrect info.  Thanks darlicious]

Public Mobile can re-associate their 'stolen' number with their existing SIM card already in their phone without having to change the SIM.  

You're absolutely correct with the OP needing to immediately change/update passwords.

benfatto
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@sofxmala  You can wait for moderator assistance or get a new SIM and change it in your account. 
Whatever approach you use at least immediately change the password of your account. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Contact a moderator and tell them you've been sim-swapped.

Please follow the directions of prior posters - very important to secure your other accounts which may utilize two-factor authentication as the hacker will receive notifications which utilize that security feature.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sofxmala...while waiting for moderator assistance, keep a close watch on your banking and PayPal accounts for any unauthorized activity.

It's a hassle, but change your passwords .

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@sofxmala wrote:

My sim number doesn’t match my account... who do I contact asap

i don’t have service 

Here is the HDI on what to do.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/m-p/650969

Need Help? Let's chat.